PDA

View Full Version : Question for all of you on a DT

Fief14
04-08-2008, 11:47 PM
When companies ask for a link to your resume--what info do they want? Your actually working real job resume or a papercrafting resume? Sorry if this is an odd question, but just wondering what your 'real' working job would have to do with your crafting ability...ok, thinking here, watch out...unless they are trying to decide what type of free time you have to "design", I guess, right? (they probably wouldn't want a doctor on their DT--they can't even keep appropriate patient appt times, yet alone make crafting deadlines!)

Just curious what types of things you all have included on your resume.

MnMommy2
04-09-2008, 12:18 AM
From my personal experiences, my scrapping/cardmaking resume. Which I don't really have, but I list the site that has most of my papercrafts in their gallery, any prior design teams I have been on/guest DT's, published work-when/where and contests I've won and your blog address- for promoting their site/your work/etc.

They have a site that you can make your papercrafting/scrapping resume on, but I never did that. A lot of scrappers have them I know.

hbpuppy
04-09-2008, 01:52 AM
I agree with Renee. Just try to think of all the different things that you do. Like, have you ever taught a papercrafting class, hosted swaps, been featured somewhere, won a challenge, anything? Everything counts, all your galleries, your blog website. Also, try and describe your style/inspiration.

I don't think the companies are trying to see if you have the time. I think that they are assuming that you would only apply if you have the time required to do the work. And, depending on the company, it can be a lot of work. Some people craft faster than others and some have personal things that require a lot of time. I'm a slow crafter so I have to give myself a lot of time to make sure I make deadlines.

1of2shoes
04-09-2008, 02:25 AM
I agree with Heather. The resume is your crafting resume. Don't be ashamed to list all the things you've done, especially any publications you've been in. Make sure you list the online groups you belong to: SS, SCS, PCMB, etc. I think they want to make sure you have access and are active on message boards and galleries.

If I could say one thing about turning in samples for a DT, be yourself. Don't copy anyone elses style for your submissions. It's very hard to keep up that appearance and caliber of work unless it comes naturally to you. Be yourself.