PDA

View Full Version : Tim Holtz lesson for the day

Vintagegal
04-11-2008, 03:23 PM
I was fighting with my Adirondack Ink and Distress Ink pads last night, trying to get them from beading up on a solid stamp. It was driving me nuts that I couldn't get a solid image. So, I emailed Mr. Tim, and he told me this:

"hi ethel-

thanks for the email, let’s just start off by saying there is nothing wrong with the inks. here is the deal. new stamps that have solid rubber areas are often difficult to ink with ANY water based dye. water beads up on solid surfaces. so what I suggest is to ink your NEW stamps with any permanent dye ink – stazon or I personally use archival ink. let it dry – leave it on the stamp, and then ink your stamp with whatever dye ink you like. the results are a much better coverage of dye on the solid areas. try it. hope this helps.

-tim"

So, there you have it. Your Tim Holtz lesson for today.

logcabincreations
04-11-2008, 03:25 PM
That's very interesting. I'll have to try this as I have had the same problem with some of my larger solid stamps. Thanks Ethel!!! (oh....and Tim of course.)

ccstampin12
04-11-2008, 03:26 PM
WOW!
This hurts my sensibilities....to let ink dry on a stamp! LOL
Hope this works for you!
Joanie

threefriends91
04-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks Ethel, l have had the same problem with my large stamps too.. l hate the thought of leaving ink on my stamps..but l'll try anything that will help..Thanks Ethel and Tim..

Christie
04-11-2008, 03:45 PM
Did you try it? Did it help???

maxiesmom
04-11-2008, 03:48 PM
I had never heard of the leaving ink on the stamp. I had always heard of like rubbing it on your jeans or even VERY gently scuffing it with a fine grit sandpaper. Very cool tip, I think we've all had this prob from time to time.

Vintagegal
04-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Did you try it? Did it help???

Not yet. I'm still at work. I'll have to ink up the stamp tonight and let it sit for a few hours. Then, I'll see if Mr. Tim is wise, indeed.

kimmyqtgirl
04-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Very nice to know. I wonder if that works for acrylic stamps too. Sometimes I have that problem with acrylics. How nice of him to let you know.

GrammaStamper
04-11-2008, 05:50 PM
Very nice to know. I wonder if that works for acrylic stamps too. Sometimes I have that problem with acrylics. How nice of him to let you know.

With the acrylic stamps, Papertrey Ink recommends that you gently rub a clean eraser over the stamp to remove any residue from the manufacturing process.

I don't know if that would work with red rubber stamps or not.

hbpuppy
04-11-2008, 09:53 PM
I've also heard about using very fine sand paper on your stamps to "prime" them. This goes to my theory that stained stamps work better.

countrycowgirl
04-11-2008, 10:22 PM
I have read that Tim does not clean his rubber stamps. He leaves the ink on them.

HeatherJ
04-12-2008, 09:00 AM
But if he ruins his, he can get some more real cheap! ;) But seriously, I think this idea makes a lot of sense, I will give it a try!

spredbirds
04-12-2008, 09:06 AM
That's awesome advice .....

most of all I am truly impressed that TIM answered you himself!!! That is excellent customer service.

pesc
04-12-2008, 09:07 AM
I had tried to rub and eraser on top of regular rubber and it did work really good for me. I would sure try that before I would let permanent ink dry on my stamp! :)

papermoon04
04-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Thanks Ethel. I adore my distress inks and Tim Holtz. Interesting information, but if you can't bear to get your new rubber stained try putting a few drops of dish soap on the rubber and scrub with an old toothbrush. This will remove some of the oils on the rubber from the pressing process.