PDA

View Full Version : For those of you that travel with your laptops.....

workin4stamps
04-16-2008, 07:59 PM
What do I need to connect to the internet in a hotel? The hotel we're staying at says it has wireless internet AND high speed internet. I'm going to hope we can just use the wireless internet the whole time we're there..

but.....that brought me to a question.... if they didn't have wireless, and I had to use the "data port", what kind of cable would I need to get connected? Is this something that I should already have?? Something I need to buy?

I am pretty dumb when it comes to my computer!!!!

thanks!

suzi_f
04-16-2008, 08:04 PM
Ethernet cable. It looks like a phone cable but the ends are fatter. You usually get them w/a laptop purchase. For the first time, we stayed at a hotel w/o wireless. The front desk gave me a ethernet cable 'cause I never bring one. When I got home, I put the etehernet cable in my briefcase so I'll always have it (even tho I'm sure I'll never again need it!)

Paula Carden
04-16-2008, 08:15 PM
As long as your laptop has wireless capabilities and if it is fairly new it should you will be fine. Most all hotels I stay at if they don't have wireless will provide you the cable.
I am sitting in a hotel right now with my laptop in Chapel Hill, NC wishing I had some rubber stamps with me to stamp. But at least I can surf the Stamp Shack.

MnMommy2
04-16-2008, 08:18 PM
The hotel usually gives you the cable. When I went to Florida in January, Best Western gave us a cable upon request and the internet is usually FREE in most hotels, but the more pricier ones usually charge.

tojoco
04-16-2008, 08:21 PM
Traci, just don't forget to bring your power cord. LOL

ctinyjoy
04-16-2008, 08:29 PM
The hotels that I have stayed at have always provided the cable for me. It was either in the closet hanging in a bag (i know funny place) or it was wound inside this data port and you just pulled it out. Kinda like the cord on our old vacuum cleaner.

tesschap
04-17-2008, 07:46 AM
I agree most hotels that don't offer wireless have the Ethernet cables in the room or a supply of them to loan you at the front desk. I stayed at a Hilton Garden last week and every five minutes the wireless kept kicking me off. The front desk had to move one of the routers after which I connected all evening. If the hotel charges for internet ask if its free if you join their points club. I know some hotels do that and it has saved me (well my company) $9.95 a night.

Do you have a trip planned where you'll be staying in a hotel soon?

workin4stamps
04-17-2008, 08:24 AM
I agree most hotels that don't offer wireless have the Ethernet cables in the room or a supply of them to loan you at the front desk. I stayed at a Hilton Garden last week and every five minutes the wireless kept kicking me off. The front desk had to move one of the routers after which I connected all evening. If the hotel charges for internet ask if its free if you join their points club. I know some hotels do that and it has saved me (well my company) $9.95 a night.

Do you have a trip planned where you'll be staying in a hotel soon?

Yes, I'm going to Milwaukee this weekend for Stampin' Up! Regionals. We leave tomorrow morning!

Traci

tesschap
04-17-2008, 08:31 AM
Have fun at Regionals. I can't wait to see what new ideas you come back with.

Vintagegal
04-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Most places DO provide an ethernet cable, but we bring one just in case they don't have one, or if their cable is faulty.

Also, check beforehand if they charge for the wireless connection. The last hotel that we stayed at charged $10 per day for wireless.

GSMom385
04-17-2008, 10:56 PM
I agree with all the advice you have already gotten. If for some odd reason they dont' have one at the hotel, Radioshack is always a good bet to get a Cat 5 cable, they are always pretty cheap, alot cheaper than Best Buy and they are normally all over the place and easy to find close.