PDA

View Full Version : Cheri/ctinyjoy - Riptide in Daytona Beach!

tojoco
04-27-2008, 03:42 PM
OMG nearly 100 people were caught in a riptide in Daytona Beach, FL. Most of them were brought to safety by lifeguards except for 1 young 19 yo guy who they are still searching for.

Cheri, did you know any of these people?

shuggy
04-27-2008, 03:52 PM
that is so terrible.

ctinyjoy
04-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Hi ladies.... I don't personally know anyone who was caught yesterday (and there are a bunch more today). These are usually the tourists who don't pay attention to the lifeguards or the warning signs (large wooden signs) that are put on the beach. The riptide is so strong and so fast. People panic when caught in one, and that is when it can become fatal. your natural instinct is to swim to shore, but you can't. I feel sorry for the family who lost their son. His story made the paper this morning.

tojoco
04-27-2008, 05:38 PM
So they never did find that young 19 yo?

ctinyjoy
04-27-2008, 05:58 PM
I just checked the news online and it was last updated at !:00 pm and they had not recovered his body yet. I will listen to the news at 6 to see if any update. On another note, a critical shark bite happened today in New Smyrna Beach. I took you to a stamp store there (Diana's). They are looking for the shark.

ctinyjoy
04-27-2008, 06:05 PM
OK...still have not found the body of the 19 y.o. The rip currents were as bad today...only had to rescue 52 people. They are searching by air and will continue for the next few days.

tojoco
04-27-2008, 07:23 PM
What's wrong with people going into the water knowing there is a rip current? And knowing about the dern shark attack. I'd stay clear of the water in any of them there parts. I guess maybe they are tired of living. Cheri, I remember where the stamp store is.