PDA

View Full Version : I made tiramisu for the first time

Vintagegal
04-27-2008, 10:52 PM
Yum! Yum! Yum!

DH helped me out. All I can say is that I couldn't have made this recipe by Williams Sonoma (http://www.heavenlytiramisu.com/rcp-138.htm) without my KitchenAid. LOL! The recipe says that you have to whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Can't do that with just hand-whisking. Not unless you want carpal-tunnel syndrome. It was just so nice to have the KitchenAid and an extra set of hands to help.

If you want to make this recipe, and you don't like the taste of straight espresso, I would suggest using regular coffee. Just brew it the way you like it, and use that in place of the espresso.

Also, there is no substitute for marscapone cheese and lady fingers. Cream cheese is too thick. Marscapone is like silk. For the rum, I used Bacardi Light Rum, not Spiced Rum.

It is an easy recipe, don't get me wrong. It just goes a little bit faster when you have someone to help. I chilled my bowls before I used them. With the exception of the marscapone cheese (which should be softened before using) I chilled the other ingredients. It helped to make the tiramisu 'set' faster.

Firecracker
04-27-2008, 11:59 PM
Wow Ethel! You are becoming a chef. Hugs, Heather

TiikkiStars
04-28-2008, 01:35 AM
Oh so cool! Tiramisu is DH's and my "special" desert. Whenever we got desert on our honeymoon, we got tiramisu. Its amazing how many different ways it was interpreted! We honeymooned from Seattle through the San Juan Islands, to Victoria and Vancouver and every single time, it was made differently. Too bad the internet doesn't provide cyber tastings!! :> I'm sure yours would be deliscious!

:> Karen

Canadian, eh
04-28-2008, 05:02 AM
Sounds yummy, Ethel.

hutchink
04-28-2008, 05:59 AM
YUMMY! The only time I get tiramisu is at Olive garden! I have never made it!

dreis1
04-28-2008, 06:31 AM
It looks yummy Ethel. I have never tried it. I will have to check out Olive Garden. Glinda

Robinkay
04-28-2008, 08:54 AM
Yummy Ethel. I bet that was super good. thanks for the link

scrappinnuts
04-28-2008, 09:56 AM
Ethel... I love this recipe... I have made it a few times...you are right, I couldn't do it without my Kitchen Aide Mixer. As far as Mascarpone Cheese...there are recipes on the internet on how to make it (just in case you have trouble finding it... I did at first) I bet yours was very yummy.

shuggy
04-28-2008, 11:05 AM
i don't know how it can be an easy recipie after your description!!

Vintagegal
04-28-2008, 07:30 PM
Angie, it IS really easy. Believe me. When I had eaten it at the restaurants, I would also think, "There's no way I can make this." But, with DH's help, we got it done in like 15 minutes. Seriously easy. If you don't have a KitchenAid, but have whisk attachments for your handheld mixer, I would use those. It's just easier than trying to whisk the egg whites by hand (this is the hardest part of the recipe, by the way).