PDA

View Full Version : Who wants to help me plan a baby shower???

Christie
05-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Well it started out being just a diaper party but she called me last night and said she wanted a baby shower instead. So now I have to plan food and games and decorations. It will be in June so I have a month to get it all done. All your ideas would help, I've never had a baby shower for anyone before. What kind of food do you serve????

IMBlessed5
05-01-2008, 01:57 PM
I just went to one a few weeks ago. They just served cake and punch. And they played some games.

They passed around several unlabeled jars of baby food. The lids were numbered. The guests had to guess what the food was by smelling or tasting (if they were brave enough) and write them down.

They passed each guest a newborn diaper. Three of those were "dirty diapers" (with a soft/melty candy bar in it). The three people who got the dirty diapers had to come up front and have a baby bottle drinking contest. The bottles were filled with tea and the first one done won.

And of course the usual game of "try to remember everything you see on the tray". Lots of baby care items on a tray were passed around, then put away out of site. The guests had 2 minutes to write down every item they could remember.

The winner of each game won a small prize.

Oh, they also had a nice picture mat that goes in a frame, one that you can write on. They passed it around for everyone to write a "welcome" message to baby Kora.

IMBlessed5
05-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Another game I've played before at a baby shower is squished/melty candy bars in newborn diapers. The diapers were numbered and we had to pass them around and guess what the name of each candy bar was.

emmcee
05-01-2008, 02:38 PM
What fun games! Laura is wanting games played at her shower and here are the perfect ideas! Thanks for sharing.

Christie
05-01-2008, 02:42 PM
I've done the baby food and the diaper and candy bar one's before. I might do the rice and safetypin one too. I am plannig the toilet paper one and another one where you have them put a paper plate on their head and then they have to draw a pictutre of a baby. Sarah told me one where you have all the guest bring a pic of them as a baby then everyone tries to guess who the baby is. Now really what i need is food ideas.

GrammaStamper
05-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Finger sandwiches are coming back into popularity. Make egg salad, salmon, ham & cheese sandwiches. Then cut all the crusts off, cut into three pieces, maybe roll them up and cut them on an angle.

Also, vegetable trays with dips are great, as well as fruit & cheese trays. And don't forget a cake. That's makes showers worth going to, IMO!

TiikkiStars
05-01-2008, 02:59 PM
My girlfriends threw us a coed baby shower, which we really loved. I had a women only bridal shower, but wanted DH and his friends at the baby shower for two main reasons.....one, he deserved to celebrate his coming baby too, and two, because by then his friends had become my friends too and we wanted them to be involved.

We just had it at a local pizza joint in their little party room. So, pizza was served with cake for desert. As for games, they were under STRICT orders to not play the toilet paper around the belly game.......I knew how big I was, I certainly felt no need to advertise it and see it unfolded out in a long chain of toilet paper squares!!!!!! They put together a BINGO game to play while we were opening presents. I've played this one at bridal showers before. Before opening presents, everyone gets a blank bingo sheet and they fill in all the squares with what they think will be in the gifts, in this case typical baby presents...receiving blankets, onesies, diapers, etc. They could list anything twice and include their own present, which was like a free square. I really think this is a fun one because it gives everyone something to do while you are opening presents, especially the guys! The other game that was played was the one where you see how many words you can come up with with the baby's name in a certain amount of time. We already had DS's name picked out and it was really fun to see what everyone came up with! I even used several of those words on his baby shower scrapbook pages! The place was not overly decorated, but what they did bring was blue and with stars since they knew we were going with a celestial theme in his nursery.

Have fun Christie!!

:> Karen

IMBlessed5
05-01-2008, 03:55 PM
Yes! I've played the bingo one and the paper plate on the head one too! I just thought of another one I've played before: This could get expensive depending on the number of guests, but each person gets one of those mini containers of play-dough and you have to mold it into a baby. Set them all out on display and the mom-2-be picks the best. That was fun! And especially if there is a big sister/big brother who would just LOVE to have the play-dough when y'all are done - then they get something too!

craft a latte
05-01-2008, 04:01 PM
"And of course the usual game of "try to remember everything you see on the tray". Lots of baby care items on a tray were passed around, then put away out of site. The guests had 2 minutes to write down every item they could remember. "

I read about a fun twist to this game. A person is chosen before the party to be the one to walk around with the tray and then leave the room. Everyone will be concentrating on the tray but instead once she is gone they must try and remember as many details about what she is wearing like the color of toe nails, etc.

emmcee
05-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Explain the toilet paper game to me please.

iloveflipflops
05-01-2008, 04:07 PM
What time is the party going to be? I would do no more than a couple of appetizers, cake and punch. I have several appetizer recipes if you want them and they are all very easy.

TiikkiStars
05-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Michelle, the toilet paper game I was referring to is the one where everyone guesses how many squares of toilet paper it would take to wrap around the widest part of your most likely, very pregnant belly. Its often done at baby showers.....in fact, I don't think I've ever been to one, other than my own, when it wasn't done. That's why I gave my girlfriend's the heads up ahead of time. Thankfully, they all know me well enough to know I would never have liked that game! :>

:> Karen

logcabincreations
05-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Food....you have to have a cutesy baby cake....a friend of mine makes them with tiny booties and such.

logcabincreations
05-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Here's a link for some free downloadable games: http://www.welcomebaby.com/baby_shower_games.htm

scrappinnuts
05-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Just had one about 4 weeks ago..we served heavy horsdovers...and finger foods...people always fill up on those...we also played a game with pacifiers made from a lifesaver and a colored peanut M n M ...we made them into pacigers and hung them on ribbon...and choose a common word...we choose Baby...so as each guest came in we gave them the neclaces and told not to say the word baby...and if they did say it and another guest heard them they could take there necklace...was very fun...and I couldn't believe how competitve the game became...it was really funny.

workin4stamps
05-01-2008, 06:19 PM
One of my friends just hosted a shower, and she came up with what I thought was the CUTEST idea. She played "The Price Is Right" and bought inexpensive items (lotion, powder, pack of washcloths, etc etc) and then had the guests guess the price of all the items. The person with the closest guess (without going over!!) was the winner for that particular item. She just gave out small prizes (like fun size candy bars) since there were so many different items. Then all the "stuff" she bought of course went to the new mom.....

hope that makes sense. I always like to do things that are different at a shower because I think people get tired of the same old stuff......know what I mean?

As far as food goes....sloppy joes or sandwiches are always popular here....with a few easy side dishes and some chips or something. Then cake of course.

:-)
Traci

Christie
05-01-2008, 07:45 PM
These are all great ideas! Thanks ladies!!!