PDA

View Full Version : I took the plunge. Gulp!!

1of2shoes
05-09-2008, 11:48 AM
I have watched you ladies do some gorgeous cards using watercolors and pens, and really wanted to try them. So this past week, I got my sale catalog from Dick Blick's and ordered me up some supplies.

I already have a gazillion Prismacolor pencils, so I ordered a set of 24 of the Prismacolor watercolor pencils. I figured I'd do watercolor the least of all mediums.

Then, THEN! I ordered a set of Prismacolor pens. No, not a set 12 or 24. I'm a pig, remember? I ordered a set of 72 pens! I really wanted the whole darn set of 120 pens, but really now, I don't even know if I will like them and did you see the price?? Yikes! I got the set of 72 Prismacolor pens for $140. I really hope I like them. If not, you can watch for a sale here soon. :confused:

I have no idea where I'm going to put these pens since they seem to store on their own little rack and all. Oh, what does that matter, eh? When have we EVER worried about where we're going to put something?!

Wish me luck, and if you have any tips or techniques getting started with the pens or watercolor pencils, I'm all ears.....

mydogstinks2
05-09-2008, 12:04 PM
I hope you like all of your pens you have coming!! I can't wait to see all your new creations!

directmailscrapper
05-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Debbie,

I have discovered watercoloring with watercolor markers. Two techniques -- one where you scribble on a piece of plastic and pick up some of the color with your damp brush. The other one where you color on your stamped image with a bit of marker, then use your wet brush to move the color. The key to making this work is having the right paper. I found some when we were shopping at the Paloosa -- and it works great. Of course I just bought the whole set of SU markers and this technique works best with TOMBOW markers! I did a side by side test with both brands of markers -- the SU markers worked -- but the Tombow markers were clearly better.

As far as storage goes -- you need the Rubbermaid X boxes! They are about 8 x 8 and stack and are a great way to store coloring supplies. If you are unfamiliar with them, PM me and I'll find you a link.

GrammaStamper
05-09-2008, 12:35 PM
As far as storage goes -- you need the Rubbermaid X boxes! They are about 8 x 8 and stack and are a great way to store coloring supplies. If you are unfamiliar with them, PM me and I'll find you a link.

I would love to see these x boxes, Nancy. Please post a link so I can go look.

directmailscrapper
05-09-2008, 12:47 PM
These used to be Rubbermaid, now I see they are Eldon. They are PERFECT for storing markers, pencils, etc. I have a bunch of them -- and I need more! There are also versions that don't have the X so you can mix and match.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/310508/Shelf-Clear/

1of2shoes
05-09-2008, 04:40 PM
That looks like a great storage solution. From what I've seen before, the racks that the pens come with seem to take up a fairly good-sized chunk of real estate on the desk. These little cubes would be great since they could stack. How many do you think I'll need for my 72 pens?

Erin K
05-09-2008, 06:00 PM
I have those X boxes and love them

threefriends91
05-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Wow these x boxs look awesome..l have all my pens and pencils all over the place..l love the Staedtler water pencils and l love the prismacolor pencils they are so smooth and the colours are beautiful..
l think your love both of them..Debbie and thats for the link Nancy these x boxs is just what l need..

loobylou
05-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Debbie, you will be awesome at watercolouring, cos you are so good at shading and colours already.
I like the 2 techniques that Hancy mentioned, and also sometimes I like to wet my whole area that I am painting just with water, then colourwash ontop with the markers (which have been scribbled on a cd case).