PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who have attended stamp convention in the past ...

tesschap
05-27-2008, 10:14 PM
Does every booth have product for sale? How much $$ should I bring? How much will power do I need to start telling myself I need? I've never ever been to a stamping convention. I'm getting excited and have no idea what to expect!

Christie
05-27-2008, 10:16 PM
I went to an expo so I guess that's different then a convention. The expo I went to was like going to a mall for crafters!! It was awesome. You need to take lots of money, wear good walking shoes, and take a tote bag to carry all your stuff!!!!

ccstampin12
05-27-2008, 10:16 PM
You need either lots of money or lots of will power! LOL
I would say that all the booths have things for sale. I tended to "need" the stuff that was demoed (is that a word?)
I still have some of that in the original wrapper!!! LOL
Remind me that I need E-Z Mount when we are there! REALLY, I do need that!!!
Joanie

cindi
05-27-2008, 10:17 PM
Teresa you and I are convention virgins!!!;)
lol
I'm way excited, and can't wait to see you girls and attend the convention with yous
:)

emmcee
05-27-2008, 10:24 PM
I've been to 2 or 3 and the first one I went to I didn't have enough money with me for what I wanted. So the next one I went too I had some extra $$ and didn't spend it all. But about every booth has product for sale. Some of my favorite booths are where the unmounted stamps are. I can stand there for quite a while fishing through a vast area filled with unmounteds. Some of those vendors have their u/m in envelopes, and one convention I went to, all of the u/m were in a big rubber raft type thingy, and we all just poked around looking for what we wanted. Usually there are a few make & takes, lots of scrapbooking stuff, lots of papers. Don't take your purse if it 's heavy, it will just be an aggravation to you. Dress comfortable, because 9 times out of 10, the air conditioning will suck, and you'll be so hot you can't breathe. I don't mean to sound negative about a/c, but I don't know what it is about some places, why the promotors don't make sure there is plenty of cool air circulating. We are not all thin little girls who stay cold, we are mostly pre-post menopausal girls who get warm really quick. Have fun, Teresa. I love to go to the conventions. Wish I could go with you. I sure have got a lot to say, must be the caffeine in my Diet Coke.

maxiesmom
05-27-2008, 10:57 PM
I personally have also spent lots of $$! And also still have stuff never used, 2 years later in some cases! Always have a blast looking at everything. Some vendors have nothing you want and then others... weeellll, look out!! hehe
Have fun, you guys! I know you will!!

loobylou
05-28-2008, 12:18 AM
a little tip - Take a small make-up mirror. When you are fishing thru the piles of unmounted stamps trying to figure out what on earth they say or look like, the reflection in the mirror will reveal all! you can see them as they look stamped. It is especially good for sentiment stamps.

iloveflipflops
05-28-2008, 06:02 AM
Let's see ... how much $$ should you bring?!?! Is $500 saying anything!??!? LOL I would say bring enough. You can buy ALOT of unmounted stamps at these conventions for dirt cheap. Bring a mirror like Sarah said. I did that in Greensboro and even though some vendors had mirrors there to use, they were being used, so people had to wait. But if you have your own, you just whip it out and it makes go alot smoother. I love to watch the demos but I am more practical and think "Am i really going to do that once I get home"? Sometimes its no, sometimes its yes. I am wearing flip flops, comfortable flip flops. And capris. I tend to get hot but then i am having hot flashes lately so that's just me. Oh I can't wait.....................

iloveflipflops
05-28-2008, 06:04 AM
Oh and something else I just thought of .. I bring small bills with me. Some places do take credit cards but if you just buy 4 unmounted stamps, that could be $3 or whatever and I hate to charge for that little amount. I also bring a tote bag to put all my "stash" in so I don't have lots and lots of bags. Sometimes they give you a tote bag when you go in but i dont' know if this place does or not . Joanie do you remember???

ccstampin12
05-28-2008, 08:53 AM
I don't remember a tote bag gift, but that is great advice! I do think we brought our own totes. I may bring the rolling crate that I bought at Archiver's at MOA. (I think it's from BoBunny, but not sure) It collapses and rolls nicely. It's cute and it's PINK!!!
I hope it wouldn't be in the way!
I'm getting WAY excited too!
I just remembered some money that I've been saving for about a year that I forgot about! YAY!!! Found money...always good~
LOL
Joanie

tesschap
05-28-2008, 09:16 AM
I have a supply of thin cloth bags with our work logo on them and can bring one for each of us. They don't have any pockets or anything but are a step up from the plastic shopping bags. If you end up not wanting to use one no worries - I'm driving so I can toss them back in my car.

lakeslady
05-28-2008, 01:20 PM
Just a few other thoughts for you all.
DONT leave wanting to go to the bathroom until the last minute, there are always long lines LOL
Take a drink and maybe fruit and sandwiches in case you are hungry, because again long lines...........after all you dont have time to hang about when there is serious stamp shopping to do.
Use a bum bag ( I believe you call it a fanny bag) for your money..............leaving both hands free to look at purchases but knowing your cards and cash are safe. A tote bag has already been suggested............again a great idea, just make sure it is one with long handles that will go over your sholder.

Some self addressed labels just in case there is a draw or a raffle to enter, or for exchanging addresses.......again saves time rather than writing it down.

Most of all DO wear comfortable shoes and clothes. Looking a fashion icon is not important, being comfortable is.

Have fun everyone.

allinkdup
05-28-2008, 01:41 PM
Ditto on the shoes.

I have been managing & demo'ing a vendor booth at conventions for about 2 years now...here are some tips from my point of view, take them for what they are worth, LOL!

THere are usually show specials that the vendors put together, just be sure to double check the prices & value because sometimes it can be just a $1 or so off and it is not worth it if it isn't exactly what you want.

Don't fall for the Stencil Guy telling you he invented the chalk in his garage, he didn't. They are pastels from an art store, LOL! FYI: The paste he sells also dries out fast. Look for Dreamweave Paste from Polly Pals or Tessler :)

If a booth is doing a demo and it is crowded, don't leave, they will start again in another few minutes so stay put to get a prime spot when everyone from the first "session" leaves :)

Vendors are there for YOU! If they are mean, rude & nasty, look around someone else may have the same product.

HAVE FUN! Don't rush, rush, rush. Enjoy the make & takes, ask questions to those demo'ing. They are there to tell you all about the product.

Don't skip the make & take for Stampscapes if there is one there. You will LOVE it!

If you like something, try to do the make & takes. Some booths charge $1 or so, they are not getting rich, it just covers breakage & such from people that sit down to do a demo & don't pay attention and break stuff.

Ditto on the bags, some booths don't take credit cards so have some cash too.

Take a small digital camera. Stamp expo vendors usually allow photos 99.9% of the time. They know it is overwhelming and you might forget what you learned so they say go for it! Scrapbooking expo vendors are different as they make their $$ off the page kits, etc.

Drop me a PM if you have any other questions :)

Awna

Erin K
05-28-2008, 02:24 PM
I bring exactly what I'm willing to spend in cash. I've only been to two. In Greensboro I didn't spend all my $$ the other didn't spend any money.

Course I was with Sherri in Greensboro and Sherri is a world class enabler!

I just realized I always spend more when I'm with friends! HA!

Anyhow I say to budget, it's easy to get carried away.

I agree with the unmounted rubber prices, you can get TONS super cheap.

ccstampin12
05-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Please remind me that I need E-Z Mount!!!!!
LOL
Joanie

tesschap
05-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Please remind me that I need E-Z Mount!!!!!
LOL
Joanie

I NEED some too. So I'll remind you and you can remind me :)