PDA

View Full Version : watercolor markers - suggestions please

kimmyqtgirl
05-28-2008, 01:45 AM
I got a set of watercolor markers from my ss and I am very excited to try them. I have never used watercolor markers before so does anyone have any beginner tips they would like to share? I know I need some watercolor paper right? I was planning on getting some with a coupon this weekend.

Thanks for any help. I am so excited to play with them.

Artyfarty
05-28-2008, 02:08 AM
My top tip for using any watercolouring medium is to grab a spare plastic lid and using your colour pencil/marker scribble on the lid and then take your brush to the scribbled area and pick the colour up that way. I dont tend to colour straight onto the image cos i find if you use too much then you can overwater the image too much trying to soften it down. . Plus using the lid you actually use less and therefore save more lol If you do tend to find too much water then dab onto a tissue or kitchen towel to rid of excess liquid.

kimmyqtgirl
05-28-2008, 02:36 AM
I didn't even think of picking up the color! Thank you for the tip. It's so nice to have so much experience on the shack. Someone always can give a few tips. :)

Far North
05-28-2008, 03:36 AM
Hero Arts blog recently had one of fav marker techniques on a u tube tutorial (http://heroarts.com/blogs/club/2008/05/21/watch-the-flowers-bloom-wednesday/). You can use regular paper or watercolor paper but will need a little mister. M's sells little tube misters in the section above their inks.

Most of the watercoloring that I do is for cards so I generally buy the small tablets of paper that has a little texture to it.

Hero Arts also has a whole technique section on their website...there are many different techniques that you can enjoy with you color pens...take a look a the ink and color section. (http://www.heroarts.com/learning/)

You are gonna have so much fun with your pens!!! Let us know if you have any specific questions.
...Jan

kimmyqtgirl
05-28-2008, 03:40 AM
Thanks Jan, I am going to check it out right now - I hope it's not blocked (i'm at work).

HeatherJ
05-28-2008, 05:02 PM
I love my Tombow watercolour markers! I use an old CD to scratch them on, then pick up the colour with the aquabrush. I don't always use watercolour paper, if I am using an image that has small parts, and does not require a lot of blending, my regular card stock has been fine. But lots of water and blending would make it pill on regular paper.

Using an embossed image is great too, since the raised outline helps keep some excess water in the section and not bleed to another area.

Have fun!

maxiesmom
05-28-2008, 07:08 PM
I didn't know there was such a thing as watercolor markers. What brand is this? I'm curious now, not that I need them!

Far North
05-28-2008, 08:24 PM
So Kimmy what did you do with your markers today? Just got home and ran to the gallery but it was bare...at least no watercolor work from you yet. Let us know where you are at and how is it going?

kimmyqtgirl
05-28-2008, 08:29 PM
I know I didn't get a chance to today. I work midnights 12 hour shifts so I don't have a lot of time to play after or before work. I am off the rest of the week so hopefully I can play tomorrow!