PDA

View Full Version : Question About Heat Embossing

dgbearsmom
10-18-2006, 01:02 PM
It is no secret that I am not yet a very experienced stamper, so hope this isn't a dumb question. I really enjoy doing heat embossing, and was wondering what the best way is to get the little stray flecks of EP off before you heat it. I use a little paintbrush, but it seems like I always miss some. And then I don't see that I've missed them until after I heat it and then they are stuck there.

It just irritates me when I think that I've done something really nice and then I see little silver or gold specks on it. Do any of you ladies with more experience have any tips for me? Or do I just need more practice?

Judy

Erin K
10-18-2006, 01:08 PM
there are little bags of antistatic powder that you can get, even with them I still get strays. I try not to think about it too much. :)

I know some people can get it just right, I figure we are each given different talents..

bubblegum girl
10-18-2006, 01:11 PM
i usually fick strays off with a qtip but wouldnt an antistatic dryer sheet work to unstatic your paper, ive never tried it but i might work.

bubblegum girl
10-18-2006, 01:12 PM
sorry i meant to write flick not fick.

inkinupstamps
10-18-2006, 01:18 PM
There are specially-made-for paper crafter's antistatic sheets you can buy. You can also try a good old fashioned dryer sheet.

A couple of things that really make a big difference is:

1.) be sure your paper is clean (no finger smudges) Even just the oils from your hands or if you've used lotion will make the embossing powder stick;

2.) the teeny tiny brush helps;

3.) tap the back of your card stock before using the heat gun. Give it a good plunk on it to help knock off the EP. What you want to stick WILL stick but loose EP will fall, so be sure to have something to catch the excess, and

4.) inspect closely your stamp for fuzz or, in the case of my household, a stray dog or cat hair. If you are using versamark or even a pigment ink and then embossing, I can confirm that those sticky inks will stick pet hair to the stamp. Consequently, when you stamp you'll have this stray line of versamark you won't see but will grab hold of the EP.:eek:

Happy Embossing! I love it too!:D

teabear
10-19-2006, 07:06 PM
I thought everyone else covered all the tips I had, until I embossed some images last night. I use an OTT light to carefully look at the image before I heat it so I can brush off the stray specks of EP with a small paintbrush. I also have little magnifying eyeglasses that I use for papercrafting so I can see things a little better. I hope that helps.

Alli
10-20-2006, 01:50 PM
I really do recommend the anti-static bag, SU calls it an embossing buddy. They are only a couple of dollars and they make the world of difference to your work.
Also, handle the cardstock as little as possible because you may have greasy fingers. I do, I use the anti-static bag to rub over my fingers occasionally, especially if I am about to emboss.
I found that dryer sheets and other things really don't work properly.
Another tip would be use colored ink and clear embossing powder, then it doesn't matter if it strays.
You can turn any dye ink into an embossing ink by tapping your stamp with versamark first, then tapping with the dye ink. It doesn't harm either ink pad.
I think you only really need three embossing powders, gold, silver and clear.
I find black powder is the worst for straying, as it seems to be the finest, so in lots of cases I use black versafine, which is waterproof, so I don't need to emboss.

Sherry
10-20-2006, 02:55 PM
Did you ladies know that you can make your own Anti-Static bags?? Well, yes, yes you can!

Here's what you do.

Find a piece of heavy weight fabric - I used a piece of drapery fabric - and sew it into a pouch leaving the top end open. Fill the pouch with cornstarch. Sew the top closed.

Rub it on your paper IN ONE DIRECTION ONLY (not back and forth) before embossing. It really, really works!

Hope this helps!
Sherry

tojoco
10-20-2006, 03:04 PM
Great tip Sherry. I'm going to have to try it since my little anti-static bag is starting to look a little haggard.

workin4stamps
10-20-2006, 03:29 PM
the embossing buddy, along with a small paint brush myself. I find the embossing buddy works most of the time, but in the event it does not, the little brush comes in handy!!

Traci