PDA

View Full Version : Please pray for us

Vintagegal
06-11-2008, 09:32 PM
A tornado came through the Little Sioux Boys Scouts Camp just one hour north of us. So far, there are four confirmed fatalities. At least 40 others injured. This is leadership week at the BS camp. Please, keep the boys and their families in your prayers.

We're still in a Tornado Warning. A huge storm just ripped through. Our neighbor's tree across the street just fell over. The entire tree is down. Our front yard tree has lost some large branches. The neighbor's next door have also lost branches.

Quarter size hail is falling and the rain is coming down so hard you can barely see the end of the driveway or the sidewalk from our basement window.

**updated 06/12/08** Apparently it's been confirmed that a tornado did land smack in the center of my subdivision, which explains the uprooted trees, fences, shrubs, plants, gazebos, etc. It touched down and then went back up. Thank goodness no homes were destroyed. No roofs came off. Nobody was physically injured.***

emmcee
06-11-2008, 09:33 PM
Oh gracious Ethel. Sending prayers right away. Keep safe and keep us updated.

MidwestStamper
06-11-2008, 09:35 PM
This is just hitting our newscasts-- how awful! I guess a tornado touched down 2 miles from my DH's hometown of Springfield Minnesota--his Mom still lives there. This is in southern Minnesota.

toao
06-11-2008, 09:36 PM
OMG, I'll pray right now.

Mary

tesschap
06-11-2008, 09:37 PM
How terrible. I will keep your area in my thoughts and prayers.

My3Ds
06-11-2008, 09:38 PM
OMG, I'll pray right now.

Mary

Ditto! Stay safe and keep in touch!

Kreative Dryve
06-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Stay safe, and I will keep thinking good thoughts for you and the community.

~Marie

scrappinnuts
06-11-2008, 09:40 PM
Oh How Horrible... I Will Keep You And The Families In My Prayers

suzi_f
06-11-2008, 09:42 PM
Oh no!!! Keep safe!!!

iloveflipflops
06-11-2008, 09:42 PM
Stay safe Ethel. It could be a long night!

workin4stamps
06-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Oh dear! Hope you're in your safe place!

tojoco
06-11-2008, 09:44 PM
Stay safe Ethel. Are the tornado sirens blaring? Get in that middle room with no windows and pull Sean and Lucas in there too. We are way too familiar with these types of storms. Keep us posted.

Mrs. Fence
06-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Ethel, You and your community will be in my prayers. Stay safe and keep us informed.

Tracey

dreis1
06-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Prayers going your way. Please keep us posted on how you are. Glinda

Vintagegal
06-11-2008, 10:42 PM
The line of storms are now tracking from South of Omaha heading eastward. So far, we're safe.

The boys at the camp were between ages 13 - 17. There were 96 people, total, at the camp, when the tornado hit. They had, at most, 12 minute warning. Lots of trees were uprooted, and first responders are having a tough time getting in to help everyone injured. Lots of parents are driving out there, as you can imagine. They are being redirected to the camp's fellowship hall, until they can account for all of the campers. There are four confirmed fatalities and multiple injuries. We don't know how severe those injuries are. Please continue to pray for the kids, the Boy Scouts volunteers and all of their families.

Thank you so much.

threefriends91
06-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Oh Ethel l'm Praying for all of you right now...

Vintagegal
06-11-2008, 10:49 PM
update.....

ALL of the buildings on the campground are now gone. All of the cabins, restrooms, everything....all gone.

In other parts of our general neighborhood.....lightning strikes have hit some homes in one of the more affluent neighborhoods, and those homes are dealing with fire. I don't know how bad the damage is on my street. All I can see is what is in our front yard (the tree branches strewn across my front yard, and our neighbor's oak tree completely down).

There are flood warnings everywhere in Douglas and Sarpy Counties (I live in Sarpy County). A tornado also came through Offutt Air Force Base, where my husband works. I don't know what other injuries, if any, have happened around the Omaha metro area. One our bosses lives out in Elkhorn. The first tornado came through there. So far, we've counted four or five confirmed tornadoes tonight.

ellie
06-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Praying here Ethel...please check in when you can.

countrycowgirl
06-11-2008, 11:19 PM
OMGosh that is so tragic... definitely praying for everyone involved right now!

Vintagegal
06-12-2008, 05:59 AM
NBC news' Ann Curry will be reporting from the Boys Scouts camp, this morning on the Today Show.

lakeslady
06-12-2008, 06:44 AM
Please stay safe Ethel and everyone around you too.

Vintagegal
06-12-2008, 07:31 AM
As I left for work this morning, just driving down our street, I counted eight trees that had fallen down. One tree fell over both of one my neighbors' cars. I am amazed that none of the trees fell on the neighbors' homes. None. This neighborhood is 30 years old, and the trees (as you can imagine) are mature. I am just in shock at how much damage was done to the tree line. Not a single tree on our side of the street fell.

The National Weather Service gives an early estimate of 40 tornadoes that came through our area last night. That's a 12-county area. So, an average of three tornadoes per county. All 12 counties were under tornado warning at the same time.

toao
06-12-2008, 08:02 AM
Wow. That's a lot of tornadoes. I'm so glad you're safe Ethel and that you had no damage at your house. Our weather for this area shows T-Storms and rain for the next 4 days. Woohoo! We need the rain. Yesterday we had a really bad T-Storm with lots of lightning and hail in the little town just 10 miles from us. Someone said they think a tornado came through there. Scary. That's the one thing I'm terrified of.

Mary

mydogstinks2
06-12-2008, 08:48 AM
I just finished reading about the boy scout camp. How sad. Be safe and I will be thinking of those families!

jazzypurple853
06-12-2008, 08:55 AM
sending prayers

Christie
06-12-2008, 09:12 AM
I saw this on our local news this morning. I'm glad you are safe. I hope the bad weather has finally ended for you all.

teabear
06-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Thinking of you today Ethel, so sorry I missed this last night. Hugs to you as you deal with the aftermath.

logcabincreations
06-12-2008, 01:57 PM
So so sad. Prayers going up for all.

Darleneh710
06-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Ethel, so glad you are all right. Will send prayers to everyone in your area:)

Artyfarty
06-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Thinking of you Ethel...be safe xxxx

shadoob
06-12-2008, 03:08 PM
This weather is scary... I'm glad YOU are OK, but all the others...oh my....the boy scouts- can you imagine your own son being there?! My good friend in Manhattan, KS had tress down, but the house down the street is totally gone! My daughter is driving home from Minnesota today, so I hope she stays ahead of the weather....
~Cheryl

Vintagegal
06-12-2008, 03:15 PM
This weather is scary... I'm glad YOU are OK, but all the others...oh my....the boy scouts- can you imagine your own son being there?! My good friend in Manhattan, KS had tress down, but the house down the street is totally gone! My daughter is driving home from Minnesota today, so I hope she stays ahead of the weather....
~Cheryl

My son is the same age as three of the boys who died. Yes, it makes me all the more grateful and blessed that our family is safe. I hope your daughter gets home safely. I don't know what the forecast is for today, through Iowa or Kansas.