PDA

View Full Version : What did your dinner do tonight? (long...sorry)

TiikkiStars
06-13-2008, 12:41 AM
Sooooo.....what did your dinner do tonight? Mine had a party!

I actually had a pretty rotten night and when I started writing this, this is what came out. Kinda turned into therapy and now I'm not feeling so bad. Hope you will indulge me, if you have the time.

Brown butcher paper embellished with red print catches my eye and I see some nice quality pork chops sitting on the second shelf in the fridge, reminding me that I spent more on them than I should have and that I definitely do not want to let them turn. On the bottom shelf sits some organic sauerkraut whispering in my ear how good those pork chops would taste cooked with that sauerkraut. Each time I eat those two, now buddies, I remember how much I used to deny the German in me and
shun the combination. So out came the chops. They dressed in some salt with lots of sage pressed into their sides with a fork, then into the pan they went to party.

Okay, what next. With the side dishes cooking time already determined by the chops dinner reservations, I initially looked at the brown rice pasta. Hmmmmm…..silly shapes or shells??? No, pasta is not destined to dine with the chops tonight. What else? Brown rice will take too long and we had potatoes last night. Do you ever feel like the Jeopardy theme song is playing on an unending loop in your head? And then for just a moment, I was able to turn the volume down. There sitting on the second shelf of the lower pantry cupboard sat the answer….organic quinoa! Diving into the saucepan went the organic chicken stock. One cup of quinoa, rinsed in the gold cone coffee pot filter (it’s amazing how some creativity will let you repurpose a kitchen appliance tool) and a large handful of sliced green onions all promptly go for a swim in the boiling chicken stock. Quickly, I put a lid on that party and let them play unsupervised for the next fifteen minutes.

Looking in the fridge’s produce drawers, I wonder, why oh why did I wait to have the great vegetable debate?! The organic golden beets will take too long to roast (and I must confess, I do not know any other way to cook them), the organic asparagus will also take too long to roast at this point (my favorite way to make those green spears sing), there’s only one organic red bell pepper left (which is not enough for the four of us) and I don’t want the zucchini tonight (apologies to my ole’ stand by veggie). What’s a Mom to do? I’m just trying to make a proper healthy meal for my brood. Why, oh why did I not start with this produce drawer? Just as I begin to feel the despair creep in, I remember one of my smart Mom tricks that is hanging out in the freezer door waiting for an occasion such as this! What is this magic, you ask? Its frozen organic broccoli florets! The most minimal effort cooked veggie possible! Yea, dinner is saved! And with that last triumph, all the party goers arrive on our dinner plates promptly and in their proper party attire.

:> Karen

loobylou
06-13-2008, 01:22 AM
sounds like you had fun in the end! And dinner sounds yummy too.
We had pork chops a few nights ago, with peas, corn on the cob, broccoli and cauliflower(frozen- just like yours as i'm the only one in my family that likes them) and mashed potato. Gravy of course and Yorkshire puddings. Yummy. I love pork chops.

CharityHand
06-13-2008, 07:36 AM
Sounds like a great meal, indeed!

tesschap
06-13-2008, 08:08 AM
Sounds like mom saved the day and cooked up a very nice meal.

logcabincreations
06-13-2008, 10:22 AM
ha ha great story!

mydogstinks2
06-13-2008, 11:15 AM
LOL you crack me up! LOL

teabear
06-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Funny story. We had a most exciting dinner of cereal and nectarines last night. LOL

ellie
06-13-2008, 01:41 PM
This was pretty cool...tfs!