PDA

View Full Version : Prismacolor Colorless blender PENCIL

directmailscrapper
06-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Am I the last person in the world to discover what an inexpensive but great tool this is?

When we were at the beach, I was coloring one of my ATC swaps with my Prismacolor pencils -- wishing I had brought my Gamsol. I went to Michaels, the closest thing they had to a craft store (I don't think of Michales as much of a craft store!) and of course they either didn't have any OMS or I couldn't find them. Prismacolor pencils were on sale for $1.00 each and I found the colorless blender pencil. I figured I'd give it a try.

WOW! It works great! Not the same as Gamsol, but definitely worth a try -- and easy peasy!

Has anyone else used them? What do you think?

logcabincreations
06-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Never tried it either. Do you wipe it off if you want to blend a different color?

directmailscrapper
06-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Jan, it didn't seem to pick up much color -- but you could scribble off to make sure there wasn't any color on it before you move to another area. In many ways, it is just smooshing the ink down into the paper, smoothing it out. Very simple.

CharityHand
06-30-2008, 11:47 AM
Great find! Perfect for those who are bothered by the fumes of OMS.

tojoco
06-30-2008, 01:34 PM
I use the blending pencil all the time with my Prismacolor pencils. It makes for a nice smooth look.

threefriends91
06-30-2008, 01:47 PM
l have never heard or tried this but it sounds like it might be worth getting, thanks Nancy l go to Michaels all the time its the only craft store we have round here..

ccstampin12
06-30-2008, 02:21 PM
I much prefer the Gamsol or just blending with the colors themselves. Debbie/oneof2shoes, posted a tutorial some time back using just colored Prismas for blending. And we all know how wonderful everything she does looks!
I think it's still in there!
If you love the blender pencil, then go for it! We just took a class the other night with Prismas and blender pencil....I just couldn't seem to get the look I wanted with it.....just me, though!
LOL
Joanie

cindi
06-30-2008, 02:31 PM
and I use it sometimes if I have lines..it helps to smooth them out. I LOVE the tutorial Debbie put up though..it's the best
:)

Suzanne
06-30-2008, 02:49 PM
I have one that I use sometimes.

suzi_f
06-30-2008, 03:14 PM
I have that but haven't had good luck with it. Instead, I found a National Colored Pencil blender, formulated to blend wax based colored pencils. It's similar to the SU blender pen but it works on Prismacolor pencils. I too was never able to find OMS. I like this doohickie.

Christie
06-30-2008, 07:54 PM
I don't have one. I do have one of their blender pens that I use sometimes with the pencils. Maybe I should look into getting a blender pencil!

Paula Carden
06-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Well I don't have one, didn't know there was one. Okay now I will look for it and see how it works.

directmailscrapper
06-30-2008, 09:12 PM
For $1.50 or $1.00 on sale -- it's a cheap experiment!

GSMom385
07-01-2008, 06:39 PM
I love mine, I can't take Gamsol on the plane, so I had to switch to the pencil. It just takes a little getting use to. I like Gamsol too but if I can't have it then the blender works.

J-inky2
07-09-2008, 07:28 PM
That's what I use a lot. I haven't gotten into the Gamasol. and it works with Watercolor pencils as well. I just don't use them wet. I use them dry .

Paula Carden
07-09-2008, 08:01 PM
Never have seen one- but I will look for one.

loobylou
07-09-2008, 09:37 PM
I played with mine for the first time last night, I really like the way it smooshes the colour into the paper, and makes it brighter

flyingflower
07-10-2008, 08:33 AM
I LOVE mine! In fact, I think I'm on my 6th at theis point.

You're right, its not the same effect as Gamsol. It smooths the color and if you layer colors for shading it mixes them really nicely.

As far as not transfering colors, I always squiggle it around on a scrap piece of paper when I'm done with a color. If I'm doing a lot of coloring & blending of various colors, I use a different one for each color family, then clean them all when I'm done instead of cleaning them each time.