PDA

View Full Version : Calling all squash recipes ...

iloveflipflops
07-08-2008, 01:46 PM
I am going to have 1,000's of squash in my garden before too long. I only know how to cook it one way and that is on the stove with some onion and a little bit of water with salt and pepper. I cook it till its tender. Its great that way but I will get sick of eating it only way .

Any other ideas for me?!?!?!

CharityHand
07-08-2008, 01:50 PM
how about squash casserole? It's pretty simple. I don't have an exact recipe. I just saute squash, zucchini and onion in a pan until it's a little brown and then throw it in a casserole dish with cream of mushroom soup, some cheddar cheese and some crushed ritz crackers and a little butter on the top. Yummy!

iloveflipflops
07-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Mmmm, that sounds delish! I will definitely try that. So you mix the zucchini and squash together. Would you say you use 3 of each?

CharityHand
07-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Yeah. It's pretty much 50/50. Maybe one medium onion. I prefer vidalia in a little olive oil. Saute with a little salt and pepper too. Probably not so much salt because the cream of mushroom soup and cheese will make it so it has plenty of sodium in there.

workin4stamps
07-08-2008, 02:02 PM
how about squash casserole? It's pretty simple. I don't have an exact recipe. I just saute squash, zucchini and onion in a pan until it's a little brown and then throw it in a casserole dish with cream of mushroom soup, some cheddar cheese and some crushed ritz crackers and a little butter on the top. Yummy!

My best friend made something similar to this for a party she had this weekend...except she used some stove top stuffing in hers. It was really good. Oh..it had shredded carrots in it too. I'll have to see if I can get the recipe from her.

cindi
07-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
1 stick margarine
½ cup oil
1 ¾ cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
½ cup buttermilk
2 ½ cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
4 Tbsp. cocoa
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 cups grated raw zucchini
½ cup chocolate bits & chopped nuts
Cream margarine & oil with sugar. Beat eggs
In one at a time. Blend in vanilla and buttermilk.
Sift dry ingredients and add slowly to creamed
Mixture. Stir in zucchini. Pour into a greased &
Floured 9x13 pan. Sprinkle with chocolate bits
And nuts. Bake 45 minutes at 325

this is such a yummy cake!
oh ya..and I freeze shredded zuchinni in the summer to make this with in the winter
:)

iloveflipflops
07-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Oh boy Cindi ... this sounds good too.

cindi
07-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Oh boy Cindi ... this sounds good too.

don't forget when they start to grow faster than you can use them..shred them and freeze in zipper bags

iloveflipflops
07-08-2008, 02:13 PM
But mine get mushy when I freeze them. What am I doing wrong??????

workin4stamps
07-08-2008, 02:15 PM
I found this one on allrecipes.com

It sounds very similar (if not the same) as the one my friend made.

Squash-Carrot Casserole
SUBMITTED BY: Robin Webre

"This is a favorite holiday vegetable in our family. Originally submitted to ThanksgivingRecipe.com. "

SERVINGS & SCALING
Original recipe yield: 10 - 12 servings
US METRIC

About scaling and conversions

INGREDIENTS
24 buttery round crackers
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup butter, melted
8 cups cooked yellow summer squash, sliced
6 small carrots, grated
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup herb-seasoned stuffing mix

DIRECTIONS
Place crackers in a greased 13x9x2 inch baking dish; set aside.
Combine cream cheese, soup, eggs, and butter; beat well. Stir in squash, carrot, and onion. Spoon into prepared baking dish; sprinkle with stuffing mix.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 40 minutes.

cindi
07-08-2008, 02:18 PM
But mine get mushy when I freeze them. What am I doing wrong??????

but they are fine for baking..just put them in a strainer over a bowll
and let them strain..great for zuchinni bread also

logcabincreations
07-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Sometimes I do like you do Sherri on top of the stove, drain the water, add a little butter, and top with shredded cheddar cheese. But I also make the casserole Charity mentioned too.

workin4stamps
07-08-2008, 02:30 PM
okay...my friend Aimee sent me her recipe:

2 lbs squash cut into cubes (I used zucchini and yellow) (peel zucchini)

¼ cup chopped onion

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 cup sour cream

1 cup shredded carrots

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1 box stove top stuffing

1 stick of butter/margarine

Cook squash and onion in a little water until squash is tender, about 10 minutes. Drain. Meanwhile, melt butter and stir in stove top stuffing. Put ½ of stuffing mixture in the bottom of a large casserole dish. In a large bowl combine soup, sour cream, carrots and cheese. Stir in squash mixture. Layer mixture over stuffing. Cover with remaining stuffing. Bake at 325 for 45-50 minutes.

tesschap
07-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Wow - some yummy recipes!

Christie
07-08-2008, 02:48 PM
You can add squash to just about anything you bake like breads, cakes, cookies, etc.... It doesn't have much flavor and it's a good way to get some extra vitamins in there!

TiikkiStars
07-08-2008, 05:37 PM
We love yellow squash (and zucchini) two ways.....either on the grill (sliced & sprayed with olive oil...we use the Misto...and seasoned or cubed up on shish kabobs) or roasted in the oven, mist a little olive oil, a little salt (& pepper, if you like...I'm allergic to it). Either way, they are both deliscious and super healthy too!

:> Karen

cindi
07-08-2008, 05:59 PM
both green & yellow squash, some onions, and if you like peppers do those too. then chill them . add a little italian dressing and shaved parmasan cheese fore a yummy grilled veggie salad. awesome on a hot day

TiikkiStars
07-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Oooo! Cindi, your grilled veggie salad sounds yummy! Not to hijack, but speaking of the grill, we also love to grill bell peppers & onions too and pineapple, eggplant (especially Japanese eggplant), corn, and asparagus!

Also speaking of summer squash and italien dressing, try marinating the squash in some lite italien dressing and grilling it....really good that way too!

:> Karen

maxiesmom
07-08-2008, 07:58 PM
We like to saute the zucchini in some olive oil and then when tender put some spaghetti sauce and then mozzarella on top of the zucchini. Sort of like a parmesan, but it's not breaded.

Also just marinated in Italian dressing and then grilled is simple but oh so good!

teabear
07-08-2008, 08:52 PM
I don't have a real recipe, but make it sort of Italian style. I cook up some zucchini, onion, peppers, and eggplant (if I have it), with some canned tomatoes. Then I add in a bit of pizza seasoning and/or italian seasoning. When it's all cooked up I sometimes add mozzarella or parmesan. I call it pizza in a bowl. It makes a great lunch. Pretty healthy too.

loobylou
07-08-2008, 10:00 PM
1 very large, or 2 medium zucchini (can also be made with other summer squash)
1 cup couscous cooked in chicken or vegetable stock (1/2 cup dry couscous cooked in 1 1/2 cup stock)
1 tsp olive oil, plus more for oiling the baking pan
1/2 onion, chopped in a medium small dice
2 cloves crushed garlic
4 tbs pine nuts, toasted in a dry pan
2 oz (a little over 1/3 cup) crumbled feta cheese
1 tbs fresh thyme leaves, stripped from the stem and roughly chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven or toaster oven to 350°. Cut the zucchini down the middle lengthwise. With a spoon, scoop out the flesh of the zucchini, leaving 1/4 inch shell. Coarsely chop the zucchini flesh. Sauté the onion and garlic in oil until limp and add the chopped zucchini flesh. Continue sautéing until the mixture is soft and fully cooked. Add the couscous, pine nuts, thyme (reserve a pinch to sprinkle on top), and feta, mixing well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Use this mixture to fill the zucchini (serve any leftover filling alongside the squash, if you don’t gobble it up out of the pan first.). Sprinkle remaining thyme on top and place squash on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Bake at 350° until the zucchini is fully cooked and soft (25-55 minutes, depending on the size of the squash). The stuffing will get slightly brown on top. Turn down heat or remove to a lower oven rack if filling begins to get too brown or crunchy. Serves two as a generous side dish.

cindi
07-08-2008, 10:06 PM
1 very large, or 2 medium zucchini (can also be made with other summer squash)
1 cup couscous cooked in chicken or vegetable stock (1/2 cup dry couscous cooked in 1 1/2 cup stock)
1 tsp olive oil, plus more for oiling the baking pan
1/2 onion, chopped in a medium small dice
2 cloves crushed garlic
4 tbs pine nuts, toasted in a dry pan
2 oz (a little over 1/3 cup) crumbled feta cheese
1 tbs fresh thyme leaves, stripped from the stem and roughly chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven or toaster oven to 350°. Cut the zucchini down the middle lengthwise. With a spoon, scoop out the flesh of the zucchini, leaving 1/4 inch shell. Coarsely chop the zucchini flesh. Sauté the onion and garlic in oil until limp and add the chopped zucchini flesh. Continue sautéing until the mixture is soft and fully cooked. Add the couscous, pine nuts, thyme (reserve a pinch to sprinkle on top), and feta, mixing well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Use this mixture to fill the zucchini (serve any leftover filling alongside the squash, if you don’t gobble it up out of the pan first.). Sprinkle remaining thyme on top and place squash on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Bake at 350° until the zucchini is fully cooked and soft (25-55 minutes, depending on the size of the squash). The stuffing will get slightly brown on top. Turn down heat or remove to a lower oven rack if filling begins to get too brown or crunchy. Serves two as a generous side dish.

this is right up my alley!!
I'm trying thsi for sure

loobylou
07-08-2008, 10:28 PM
My friend makes zucchini pancakes. I will have to get her recipe.
Sherri, are you still allergic to tomatoes?