PDA

View Full Version : Planned Website Upgrade for July 14th - Expect Downtime

Sherry
07-10-2008, 06:52 AM
Hey all you wonderful ladies,

In case you haven't yet seen the announcements posted on the forums about us doing a website upgrade, I'll announce it here too so that EVERYONE knows what is going on.

On Monday, July 14th, the website will be going offline while we do a MAJOR upgrade of our forum software. In all honesty, I have no idea how long this ugrade will take so we'll just plan on being offline for the whole day. I promise to have the website up and running the moment that the update is complete.

To be honest, I am scared to death to do this update - it is a doozy and I have been reading that other forum owners are experiencing issues. Why am I even doing the upgrade you ask? Well, I have just been informed by the developers of our forum software that there is a huge security risk in the version we are running and that all forum owners should update immediately. If we don't, we could lose our entire website to hackers. The only thing that concerns ME about updating is how it will affect the rest of our Stamp Shack software (ie. THE GALLERY, the template database, the creative corner pages, the chatroom, the member blog database). These things are not part of our forum software but rather are individual pieces of software that run side by side with the forum. I'm afraid that this upgrade might render our software incompatible with each other. Yikes!!

Today, I will begin doing a FULL website backup to my computer so that I can restore the website (to this very point) should we experience any issues. You *MAY* find the website a bit slow while I do this but hopefully you won't notice a thing.

So remember, the website will be offline for the entire day on Monday, July 14th. If you should need a mini Shack fix on that day, feel free to vistit the Yahoo Group established by Shuggy. It is called 'Shackie Updates' and can be accessed by clicking this link (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/shackieupdates/). I will provide regular updates on the ugrade process there.

Thank you all for your patience, and most importantly, your support!

logcabincreations
07-10-2008, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the info Sherry. Will you backup again 7/13 so as not to lose any gallery postings between now and then when the upgrade is done?

Far North
07-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Oh my that sounds like a lot more work than my mere $10 will cover! Would chocolates help??? How about coffee, tea or soda? Wish there was some way we could help!!
Anyways we have faith that you will do your best! Thanks for doing all you can to keep the site secure!...Jan

mom_on_line
07-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the reminder!

And thanks for making this such a great place to come to! I'll be crossing my fingers and toes (does make it hard to do anything, though!) that the upgrade goes through with no glitches!

cindi
07-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Jan is right..maybe we should all send you chocolate to keep your stregnth and energy up!
thanks for all your hard work
:)

MerryMimi
07-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks for thinking of us Sherry, as always. I'm sure we will all apreciate the extra security measurements and all you hard work! :wubclub:

threefriends91
07-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Thanks Sherry l know its a lot of work..pllease don't stress your self out just do what you can and we will grow from their..l'll Pray that all will go well.

GrammaStamper
07-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Sherry, thanks for the headsup. Did you do this just for me so I can pack up my craft space? Good plan because I keep playing and posting, so, with no Shack for 24 hours, maybe I'll get to do what I'm supposed to do. We move next Thursday, one week from today!!!

Sherry
07-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the info Sherry. Will you backup again 7/13 so as not to lose any gallery postings between now and then when the upgrade is done?

I will do a backup of all of the new gallery additions, yes. I just wanted to get the brunt of the work done now.

loobylou
07-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Just incase you missed this thread earlier- be prepared for downtime all day on Monday July 14th

GSMom385
07-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Thanks Sherry for all you do!!! We really appreciate having a safe place to come and share.

tojoco
07-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Sherry, you are the greatest. Thanks for all you do for us and so pleasantly to boot. My whole body is crossed that all works out great for the least amount of stress for you.

ellie
07-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Thank you Sherry for taking care of all of this...you are amazing! I agree with Barb...that will be a great time to clean my room!