PDA

View Full Version : My take on "THE" cutter

directmailscrapper
12-14-2006, 02:00 PM
Hi all!

I've had my new cutter for a couple of weeks -- and I do LIKE it. (It was supposed to be a Christmas present, but I NEEDED it...)

I LIKE the cutter -- I do not LOVE it. I do scrapbooking as well as card making. I bought the 13-inch version -- thinking that it would take care of my 12 x 12 scrapbook paper. Well, it only has a bed that is 6 inches wide. So how do I cut -- say -- 8-inches? I have ended up going back to either my Fiscars trimmer with the swing-out ruler extension -- or using another older trimmer that I have that has a 13-inch bed.

Also, the bed does not have much of a grid. If you are trying to cut a small piece that is 2 x 2 -- you can line up the piece of paper against the "wall" and hope that you have it straight. On my Fiscars cutter, there is a grid line at 2-inches, so I had the added security of making sure the piece lined up correctly.

These are picky complaints -- but I wanted to share them with you.

The cutter does cut beautifully -- and it even cuts off that hair's width you sometimes want to cut off.

I think I'm going to look at some of the company's other cutters to see if perhaps they have one with some of these other features I now realize I would like!

Let me know whatcha think.

Nancy

lost luggage
12-14-2006, 02:22 PM
Well shoot...I use my "grid" a lot... :(

Erin K
12-14-2006, 02:31 PM
hmm, so no extender ruler thingie? So I would have to actually take out a ruler and make marks to cut a paper to say 8x8? hmmmm. But to cut a 8.5x5.5 I won't right?

this is a good point that I didn't think about. Mine will arrive later today and I'll see what I think of the measureing issues. I don't use a grid at all on mine, but it has a ruler bar thingie at the top and I do use that some.

lost luggage
12-14-2006, 02:38 PM
I noticed this in the picture on a website I found, but I was in denial that it had to have a fold out ruler thing...the "table" area doesn't look that big. Now I don't understand how it can work. ??? Someone please help us understand.

Spartymom
12-14-2006, 02:39 PM
I use that grid too and also the black blade to score the cards. I didn't know if this trimmer had that. Also, I scrapbook. The Fiskers doesn't trim `12x12 but it hasn't been too much of a big thing....Kim

Erin K
12-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Where's the oozak guy when you need him! Sherry, Barb, someone... I guess we can just wait a few hours for UPS to get to my house...

I guess I can just measure stuff and mark it then cut it. I think it would be worth it for really straight cuts. hmmmm

iloveflipflops
12-14-2006, 02:55 PM
That is my main concern - is not having that grid to measure and I use it ALL THE TIME!! Can't wait to hear Erin's review.

directmailscrapper
12-14-2006, 02:55 PM
My lousy Fiscars cutter that can't cut a clean, straight line can score. This cutter does not have a scoring blade. I have a straight blade and 2 extra "fancy" blades that I haven't used yet, but no scoring. FYI.

Sherry
12-14-2006, 03:21 PM
Hi ladies,

No, the trimmer does not have an extended arm nor does it have a scoring blade. If you are strictly a card maker, you probably would rarely use the extended arm anyway (well, I never do). The trimmer has a 12" ruler along one side and a 6" ruler along the other so if you really need to measure something, slap the paper along the 12" ruler on the trimmer and dot with a pencil, then cut. It really is very easy to use.

As for the scoring blade, well that can't be helped. I keep my old fiskars lying around strictly for that purpose. I'd rather have to measure something once in awhile than have to purchase new blades every other week. That's just my opinion.

Erin K
12-14-2006, 04:04 PM
I think I really had convinced myself it was going to be perfect in every way. It seems great though. I think I'm going to love it.

GrammaStamper
12-14-2006, 06:17 PM
Ifyour paper is 12 x 12 and you want 8 x 8, place your paper at the 4 inch mark, cut, and what is left is 8" x 12". Turn paper onto the 12" side, measure at 4" and cut and you have 8 x 8 paper. I know it works because I just did it before posting this, just to make sure.