PDA

View Full Version : How is your summer going?

mydogstinks2
07-16-2008, 12:10 PM
I was at the store the other day and saw back to school stuff out already! Then it made me think and summer is just about half over!! So how has your summer gone?? Have you done all that you had planned?

Mine has been ok. We didn't even set up our pool this summer but I wish we had. I would have been in it on days like today, it's super hot!! My garage sale is this weekend and I hope to raise alot of money for the foundation. That is about all I really had "planned" for the summer.

IMBlessed5
07-16-2008, 12:34 PM
(your avatar is CUTE! LOL!)

We didn't have anything "big" planned for this Summer since DH is so busy remodeling our house. Although I thought I'd be busy painting and starting to pack/sort things here, we havent' gotten to that point yet.

I did want to take a one day trip somewhere, which we're doing tomorrow - going to Holiday World in Indiana.

And I saw Christmas stuff out at Hobby Lobby a couple days ago!

TiikkiStars
07-16-2008, 12:50 PM
I can't believe that DS's school starts up again in 4 1/2 weeks now. I've enjoyed the quieter, slower mornings so much. Speaking of quiet, DS is sitting on the floor next to me, reading one of his sister's books, and DD is very excitedly scrubbing the refrigerator doors with a wet paper towel (its her new favorite thing......a paper towel folded into a small square, wetted, and squeezed out......she goes around the house cleaning any hard surface...........and giggles the whole time!:>). I wanted to get a lot done this summer, but that doesn't seem to be happening. Maybe I'll get inspired, who knows?!

:> Karen

Inkisallover
07-16-2008, 01:23 PM
We have been going to the campground (where we have our camper on a permanent site), but the weather has been awful on the weekends so that has not been too fun. But we are going on an unexpected vacation to Las Vegas the third week in August because we won 1st place in our summer pool league and the playoffs. So we are playing in the National tournament for the APA. I bet it will be super hot there...

Vintagegal
07-16-2008, 01:50 PM
I received a Lands End back-to-school catalog three weeks ago (yes, in June), and I said to myself, "Didn't we just start summer vacation at the end of May?" I threw it in the recycling bin. Too early to be thinking of that. But, when I was in Target, they had a TON of boys parachute pants on clearance for $4. I grabbed eight pairs of four different styles. I got them in the next size up for DS. He'll probably wear shorts until at least late September, and then I expect the temps will drop dramatically in October.

Our summer has been bittersweet, since this is our last Summer in Nebraska before we move again. I've been encouraging DS to play with his friends as much as possible. It helped that he had jazz band in the first month of summer. It gave him a chance to see his friends every day. Now, his buddies come over and play in the afternoon and leave just before our family has supper. We've been to Chicago; we've been going on day-trips; and just exploring as much of Omaha as much as possible. I will be extremely sad when we get close to next Spring. I will be a wreck. I just know it. I love living here. I hope we get to go to a nice assignment next. DH seems to think we'll be going to Colorado Springs or Virginia (to the Pentagon) next.

Christie
07-16-2008, 02:18 PM
Well your avatar probably looks like a lot of kids out there not wanting to summer to end! LOL!!! Mine has been pretty much uneventful so far. We leave August 3 for our vacation to the Ozarks! I can't wait for that!!!!!!!

suzi_f
07-16-2008, 04:23 PM
I have not accomplished ANYTHING that I wanted to do this summer. Not that I'm complaining. We've been on 3 trips so far & still have Chicago in another week & half.

I'm SO NOT READY to go back. I'm not ready to have to get everyone up in the morning, race them to carpool & then racing to work. iI am DEFINATELY NOT READY to drive to pick up in the afternoon. I'm not ready for the hassels of work & the personal issues that reared their ugly heads right before school got out! I am ready for a "real" paycheck again. LOL

I go thru this every year. I love summer vacation and get so used to spending all my time here! By the first of sept (school starts for the kids 8/18 & I think we start that Thur), I'll be back in the swing, praying for Christmas Vacation!

Spartymom
07-16-2008, 04:24 PM
You avatar is cracking me up! Our summer is going great. I did buy some school supplies b/c they were on sale already. But, girls have a day camp next week, then we are camping and then going to see family for a little reunion at a hotel. It's not so little really, my family reserves 35 rooms! In August, things will calm down a little. It's been fun.

flyingflower
07-16-2008, 04:37 PM
I saw the back-to-school stuff out and made sure I had most of what is on the list for ds - found out the hard way a few years back that its hard to find in January when they need to "restock" at school.

DS has been healthy! DH is well! (You remember last summer they weren't)

On the travel side of things, I went to TAC seminar, we visited MIL/FIL, & we plan to see my mom soon. I also invited ourselves to Jan's party for her son next month :D

CharityHand
07-16-2008, 04:44 PM
We're just taking it one wild day at a time! My kids are bored out of their minds on the days that we don't have anything to do. We've done a couple vacation bible schools, and a couple day camps. The kids are staying busy with those and we're fortunate to have a few friends around here who regularly invite them to swim too. I'll be so glad when school starts back up. I will have one in 3rd grade, one in kindergarten and just one little one at home. Can you say FREEDOM?! (Well, at least for me.) We're still planning our trip to Chicago/Schaumburg for August too.

allinkdup
07-16-2008, 04:52 PM
this summer has not been all I hoped it too. WIth having the surgery the day after Memorial Day I have cooped up mostly.

I have gotten some great books read!

Now I need to sell some things I am not using to get started on school clothes, LOL!

threefriends91
07-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Well this summer for us has been very busy..the sale of the farm and looking for a home has kept us busy..and now my hb has started his new job it is afternoons so l'm trying to get used to that..
Thanks for bring this up l have not been to the beach for two years now and l'm going to set a goal to go at least once before we have to move..

MidwestStamper
07-16-2008, 06:36 PM
This summer has felt so much calmer than last year--because then my oldest, Andrew, was graduating from High School and getting ready for College. This year we know what to look forward to and he has all he needs for his Dorm room so we're not trying to figure that out! He has a part time job so that keeps him busy and he also belongs to a Latin Band so they practice each week and have had a few 'gigs' to play at.

My younger son was in Marching Band up until the 4th of July so that kept him (and us) crazy busy because we're very involved in the Band Boosters and go to each parade that they're in (12 total). Now he's done with that so his days are laid back. He started a weekly Paper Route of the community paper, so that takes a few hours a week.

I have spent at least one day a week going over to my Mom's house to help her with yard work and sorting through my Dad's stuff. I've enjoyed doing that and feel alot closer to my Mom now that I'm seeing her more often. I'm also working a few more days this summer since the lady I job-share with is in a summer Golf League.

In this summer where more people are staying closer to home for vacation--we are actually flying out to Seattle the first week of August, and taking a bigger vacation than usual!! I'm so excited to go out there again and show my boys around--I went to school there for two years in 1978-79 and my DH and I went there for part of our Honeymoon in 1986.

Kreative Dryve
07-16-2008, 07:09 PM
My summer has been busy.

Now that summer softball is over, I have a little more time to focus on other things.
I am working this summer, but have a bit of a break. Until the 23rd, when I go to working 24 hour shifts for a 2 week period. :goofy:

I haven't seen the kiddos much, with all of us working this summer.
But that will change after August 5th, thats when we are going on vacation and will attend my 20th class reunion.

I have been buying school supplies to stock-up, with me in college and the kids going back right after labor day, I can never have enough.

iloveflipflops
07-16-2008, 07:14 PM
The summer is going by so fast. I think we have 6 more weeks until school starts (August 25th).

We haven't done a whole lot but that's what I love about summers.

Oh and NO HOMEWORK!!!

ellie
07-16-2008, 09:07 PM
It sure is going fast! Our HL has had their Christmas stuff out for about a month now. I can't even begin to think about that!!!