PDA

View Full Version : Who knows how to back up a computer?

Fief14
07-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Can someone give me a simple lesson on what I need to buy to do it & then how I go about doing it? Pretty Please with a cherry on top?

I've never backed up my computer becuase I don't know how, and something is telling me to do it ASAP. I just fell better when it's done, you know?

Thanks,

Suzanne
07-20-2008, 01:40 PM
I have mine whole computer backed up on an external hard drive and then I also have my pictures backed up on to DVDs. When I bought my EHD my dh said to go with either Seagate or Western Digital brands. You can get large EHDs for very little money. I did get a Western Digital and my only complaint about it is the lack of instructions. Not sure if Seagate gives better instructions or not.

HTH

suzi_f
07-20-2008, 02:20 PM
I have mine whole computer backed up on an external hard drive and then I also have my pictures backed up on to DVDs. When I bought my EHD my dh said to go with either Seagate or Western Digital brands. You can get large EHDs for very little money. I did get a Western Digital and my only complaint about it is the lack of instructions. Not sure if Seagate gives better instructions or not.

HTH

I agree w/the problem w/WD. I bought a HUGE EHD in January. I have yet to figure out how to use it. It doesn't seem to want to play well w/my computer.

Suzanne, how did you back yours up? I've just moved my documents folder to the EHD. While trying to clean up dd's computer (w/o much sucess I might add) I came across something that appeared to give me the option of backing up the c drive. I didn't mess w/it as I was still trying to figure out WHERE all the memory went. Is that where I would attempt it??

Suzanne
07-20-2008, 03:59 PM
I agree w/the problem w/WD. I bought a HUGE EHD in January. I have yet to figure out how to use it. It doesn't seem to want to play well w/my computer.

Suzanne, how did you back yours up? I've just moved my documents folder to the EHD. While trying to clean up dd's computer (w/o much sucess I might add) I came across something that appeared to give me the option of backing up the c drive. I didn't mess w/it as I was still trying to figure out WHERE all the memory went. Is that where I would attempt it??

Hey Suzi,

Just plug it in and then do the drag & drop thing for each file you want to back up. That was the easiest way we found to do it . The easy back up software that came with was not so easy. Hope this helps you.

suzi_f
07-20-2008, 04:18 PM
Ok, that's what I'm doing. Thought maybe there was an easier way. Yes, that auto back up stuff caused the blue screen of death on my brand new computer!!! Obvioulsy, it recovered but it was scary!!! I'm terrified that the EHD is the ONLY PLACE all my pics are saved. I need to start burning them. Gee, now that summer is nearly over (why is summer over when July isn't even done???) I'm planning huge projects???

MyRnAbS
07-20-2008, 10:17 PM
I have an EHD as well, and all I know is that nothing safe!! That EHD can give out anytime, and I hear CDs get erased with time. So what do we do? WE print our pics, and if we ever do loose information then we start over!! :shocked: I know it's scary but it's true. A key thing to consider is never allow for ur memory, whether it be the computer itself or any EHD or USB fill up to the max, because that's when they tend to stop working. Make sure you leave some space on it. HTH

Fief14
07-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Ok, now I'm nervous. I just bought a EHD yesterday and I was waiting to see what everyone had to say before I opened the box. I guess you're right, EHD can fail too, but hopefullt in my case since the computer is about 4 years old & the EHD is brand new, the computer will give out before the EHD does!

suzi_f
07-21-2008, 08:04 PM
LOL. I'm depending on my EHD to work too. Uh, isn't that what it was MADE to do??? Unless you find someone who knows better, the only way I know to do a back up is to copy and/or cut the folder and then paste into the hard drive folder. That's what Suzanne says she does & that's what I do. Of course, you're name is NOT Suzanne and ours is so, who knows? LOL Good LUCK!!!!