PDA

View Full Version : Tonight I lost my debit card!

tojoco
07-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Tonight we went to Olive Garden for soup and salad for dinner. The waiter brought me the bill in one of those black wallet type things. I checked the bill and put my debit card in the wallet. He came back, put the wallet on the table and when I went to sign the receipt, there was no debit card. :cry2: The waiter looked high and low and also called the manager and she looked all over the place. No one seems to know what happened to it. It wasn't that far a walk from our table to the register yet we couldn't find the card. So after about 30 minutes of investigating and cleaning out garbage cans and checking all the other "wallets," I decided the only thing I could do is call the bank and put a block on the card, which is what I did. The last thing posted on the card was our meal at the Olive Garden and then the bank blocked it so nothing else could be charged against it. Now the only problem is we have to wait 7-10 days to receive our new cards. :cry2: But thank the Lord, it could have been worse.:cry2: All for the love of Olive Garden's soup and salad!

p.s. Olive Garden did give me a credit for the dinner.

workin4stamps
07-23-2008, 09:46 PM
wow!! That is too bad. Good thing you noticed it though and put a block on your card right away.

Patty
07-23-2008, 09:50 PM
I was supposed to go to the Olive Garden tonight too. I meet a friend there every so often at 6pm. Well, last week was the date, but her elderly parents needed her. We pushed it off till this week. I got an email today at work saying she fell down the stairs and is too sore to go this week. Maybe next week. This is a bad week for the O.G. But I REALLY love it. Patty

maxiesmom
07-23-2008, 10:00 PM
That is totally bizarre! Wonder if it will turn up somehow or if somebody else got your card by mistake and the other server kept mum about it not wanting to get in trouble??

cindi
07-23-2008, 10:06 PM
right away..it's a pain in the behind..but at least it won't cost you extra!!
:)

threefriends91
07-23-2008, 10:13 PM
l'm so glad you noticed it right away and called your bank..Why do you have to wait so long if it's a debit card the bank should beable to give you a new debit card with a new pin number when they open the next day....l could understand if it was a credit card...do you not have pin numbers with your debit cards.

What a bummer...l hope it shows up for you..

Kreative Dryve
07-24-2008, 12:53 AM
Glad you found out right away, it could have been a lot worse. And a free dinner is nice , but still 7-10 days is way too long.

Paula Carden
07-24-2008, 07:04 AM
Scarry- glad you got the block tho. That was the right thing to do.
Good thing Olive Garden gave you credit- maybe the card will turn up there today!

mydogstinks2
07-24-2008, 07:13 AM
good thing you noticed right away!

CharityHand
07-24-2008, 07:20 AM
Oh, that stinks! My DH lost his on Sunday. He left it in the ATM machine. I called and they said the machine sucks them back in and destroys them if left in the slot for more than 20 seconds so we had to order him a new one too.

The last time we ate at OG, I noticed a strange purchase on my card that was made with just the number. It was actually 2 small purchases at Krispy Kreeme donuts and I know I hadn't bought one box, let alone two boxes of donuts. I almost overlooked the purchases thinking my DH must have picked up some donuts for his employees, but when I asked him a day or so later, he said he hadn't. Anyway, it turns out they were investigating OG and a few other local restaurants for credit card scams and I firmly believe that someone swiped my number and was testing it out with the donut purchase. From what I understand, these scammers make a small purchase to see if it clears and once it clears, they then go off to make a big purchase with your money. Luckily, I called the bank in time and canceled my card before any large purchases were made.

workin4stamps
07-24-2008, 07:59 AM
Why do you have to wait so long if it's a debit card the bank should beable to give you a new debit card with a new pin number when they open the next day..

banks don't issue debit cards on the spot. You're thinking of a regular ATM card (without a MC/Visa logo). Debit cards have to be embossed with the cutomer's name, etc. And as MUCH as I would love it if we did embossing at the branches (hehe).....we just don't! So the debit card has to be "made" and shipped out from a special facility.

tojoco
07-24-2008, 08:12 AM
l'm so glad you noticed it right away and called your bank..Why do you have to wait so long if it's a debit card the bank should beable to give you a new debit card with a new pin number when they open the next day....l could understand if it was a credit card...do you not have pin numbers with your debit cards.

What a bummer...l hope it shows up for you..

Luckily my bank will be issuing new cards and I can use my old pin number. And since my account is still opened, I can transfer some money into another account (which is sort of dormant since I'm not working and I opened it just for direct deposit) and use my debit card from there. So I'm sort of good to go until the new debit cards come through.

flyingflower
07-24-2008, 08:30 AM
Weird happenings!
I thought folks who took their card to the register at a restaurant were paranoid, but seems they have a valid concern.

Christie
07-24-2008, 08:32 AM
Oh too bad about that. At least you realized right away so you could cancell it!! The last thing you would need is someone using it.

cecescraps
07-24-2008, 12:04 PM
What a pain! I never carry cash or write checks any more... would be LOST w/out my debit card!! Glad you have that back-up acct. !!