PDA

View Full Version : Our bank account has been cleaned out

lakeslady
08-12-2008, 08:36 PM
I cannot begin totell you how ill, upset , angry and distressed I feel.

Somehow someone has managed to gain access to our bank account and not only have they cleared out hundreds of pounds but even managed to put us in an overdrawn situation.
I just feel so sick.
We have never ever been overdrawn, we are always to careful to shred everything with our home address and indentity on it and I never ever use cash machines.

I do use the card for shopping. It is one of those that only pays out if you have actual money in the account. When I use it I watch it go through the key machine for security check and it never is out of my person, so how on earth can this have happened?

I have not used it for nearly a week and have not been out of the house since Friday.

I feel so bad and stressed out.

ccstampin12
08-12-2008, 08:38 PM
This is scary, indeed!
I wish there was something I could say to advise you.
Hoping you can get it figured out ASAP and with as little additional stress as possible.
Keep us posted!
HUGS
Joanie

teabear
08-12-2008, 09:18 PM
I don't know how your laws are JP, but am hoping that you have contacted the authorities to report identity theft. Here, your money would be replaced by the bank as it is insured. It is an awful thing to have happen, it happened to me with my paypal account which was not nearly as bad as what you are going through. Sending you lots of hugs. Not everyone is bad, but the few who are make it tough for the rest of us. I think people are more desparate lately with the rising costs of everything.

shadoob
08-12-2008, 09:42 PM
oh my gosh, that is terrible. I am so sorry!
~cheryl

maxiesmom
08-12-2008, 09:47 PM
Oh Joan, I am so sorry this happened to you. Like Tami said, hopefully the bank has measures in place, this is clearly fraud since you weren't the ones removing the money. Prayers that it gets resolved quickly for you.

Paula Carden
08-12-2008, 10:00 PM
This is so terrible- how in the world do people do something like this- people are immoral. I am so sorry. The county I work for just added as a benefit to its employees insurance for identity theft-you just hope you never will need it.
Does your bank make good the money-is it protected?
Thinking of you!

toao
08-12-2008, 10:18 PM
Oh my gracious. How awful. I hope your bank will replace it. I ordered something online last year with my debit card that has a MasterCard logo and there was a hacker online at the time that stole my card # and tried to use it. Thankfully the first time they just did a "test" withdrawal to see if it would work and I caught it right away and put a stop on it. I hope you get this resolved quickly.

Christie
08-12-2008, 10:24 PM
How horrible. I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I have heard of this happening to others as well. There are some crooks out there who can put a device in the slot that you swipe your card in and then they can get all of your info. It's very scary what can be done these days.

mjbonoan
08-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Oh no... I hope your bank can help you recover it.

I had a similar problem with Paypal, but the seller recognized the buyer as a Luthuanian hacker and declined the purchase... I would have been out almost $1000.00! My friend was not as lucky as I was.

Good luck to you!

cindi
08-12-2008, 11:34 PM
how awfull!!
I;m so sorry this is hapening to you! what is wrong with this world when an honsest person gets ripped off this way??
wow..makes me scared to do any online shopping..
which I LOVE to do!
:wideeyed:

threefriends91
08-13-2008, 12:03 AM
Oh Joan l'm so sorry..This happened to me with my late hb and it was so scary we were on holidays and when we got back our bank accounts were in over draft..We were lucky we did get our money back from the bank..l Pray you do too.

We have signed up with Desjardins Financial Security and l'm so glad we did when we went to put the down payment on the house we got a call and a letter asking us if this was us that used the account..l just don't understand how some of these people do it and l feel sick for those that it happens to..l Pray you get this cleared up and that the bank can help you...

cecescraps
08-13-2008, 12:36 AM
Joan, this is just awful!! I know you must be feeling sick about the whole thing but, hopefully, you will be able to recover all of your funds.

Artyfarty
08-13-2008, 02:49 AM
Oh nooooo Joan so so sorry to hear this. Hope you got in touch with your bank straight awayand put a hold on your account or even swapped it over for now in case they try again. Fraudsters are so ahead of the game now its scarey and i try to look up online what i want to buy then phone the company direct if I can to place the order.
Do hope you sort this out and get some if not all of your moneis back...banks can also be difficult to deal with.. I know cos hubby got charged 105.00 last month for being 16p od!!!! and we had such a fight to prove he had no means of knowing it was od.
Sending hugs xxxx
Sue

frankiesue
08-13-2008, 04:15 AM
Joan....how horrible for you.......hopefully the bank will reimburse you especially as you have no overdraft facility so they were in the wrong to authorise the withdrawl.

sending you hugs

lakeslady
08-13-2008, 06:57 AM
Thank you for everyone that has shown concern. It means alot to hear a few kind words from friends.

Just to let you know this was not caused by online shopping in anyway. It appears that my direct debit details have been stolen at one of the key pads using a chip and pin. Grocery supermarkets now seem to be key targets.

My bank says they will make good any losses we have had, including not charging us overdraft fees for direct debits that still have to be met. It will take a while to unravel and fill in all the appropriate forms, but what has scared me is the effect it has had on me as a person.
I feel very vunerable, sick and my severe back pain has flared up, no doubt not helped by emotional stress. I feel so weepy, totally unlike me..........usually I am such a happy soul contented with my little lot in life.
Still I will be thankful for small mercies, there is always someone worse off than yourself, and I need to remember that.
Thank you again girls for your love and support.

Lisa
08-13-2008, 07:03 AM
This is terrible for you. A sad statement on society when the downside of the electronic world. I do hope that you have some sort of insurance to cover this.

pesc
08-13-2008, 07:09 AM
I will still pray for you! This is not a fun situation to be in!

HeatherJ
08-13-2008, 07:23 AM
I am glad to hear the banks will make good on your money, but what a shame to be put through that. You seemed to do everything right, with the shredding, etc, but those criminals seem to be one step ahead of us!

spredbirds
08-13-2008, 07:26 AM
How scary ... hope things work out ...

jazzypurple853
08-13-2008, 07:30 AM
I am so sorry that this has happened to you. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

flyingflower
08-13-2008, 08:28 AM
(((((hugs)))))

irishchristine
08-13-2008, 08:35 AM
I hope they have the person on tape and they find them. I am sure the bank probably has a policy about replacing the money. I am thinking of you!

logcabincreations
08-13-2008, 09:21 AM
I'm so sorry! Please contact the police.

teabear
08-13-2008, 09:49 AM
I just read your response JP. You were the victim of a crime and there are lots of emotions that go with that. Give yourself permission to feel them and work through them. It does take some time to feel safe again. Ask for help if you need it. I used to do this kind of work back in my social work days. Sending you lots of hugs.

Darleneh710
08-13-2008, 10:01 AM
Joan, I am very sorry this happened to you. I know how scary it is and I don't understand why there seem to be so many bad people out there than good. Am I the only one who feels wonderful after doing something (positive) for someone else? People are scary. I know just recently this year, my bank had to send out new cards as they were targeted by some hackers. That was no fun. I was lucky enough to not be one of the one's that lost anything. And I also go lucky with the paypal thing. I had an acct and when I heard all the scams going on recently I closed out my checking account and decided Paypal is not for me. I hope that everything works out for you and that you can sleep better at night as I am sure you are very stressed out still over this horrible ordeal.
(((((((big hugs)))))))

graciez
08-13-2008, 11:50 AM
There are so many sinister people out there just waiting to scam people. They are pros. No one called your home asking for bank info? The other problem now is texting. Thieves can be so resourceful.

I hope everything turns out OK for you and I hope it's fast....MJ/gracie

mydogstinks2
08-13-2008, 12:04 PM
I'm so sorry that this happened to you! How horriable. I'm glad that the bank is going to help you get it figured out but still what a mess. We live in a scary world these days and it is just sad that almost no one can feel safe any more.

CharityHand
08-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Now that just plain stinks! I'm sorry that happened to you and I hope the bank straightens it all out quickly. It's horrible how people can be such thieves. I hope whoever did this gets caught and thrown in prison.

midnitecreations
08-13-2008, 05:21 PM
I'm so sorry to hear what you've gone through Joan. It's awful what others do and never give second thoughts to how they affect another's life. I'm also glad to see that your bank is working with you. I hope everything gets solved. I wish there was a way to return your sense of security back, but that might be difficult to do.

directmailscrapper
08-13-2008, 05:57 PM
Joan, I am so sorry to hear about your awful ordeal. I know that your bank has made you "whole" financially, too bad they can't as easily erase the effects this has had on your emotions. I'm sure you feel violated. You should talk about it so that it doesn't get bigger than it should. We're here for you!

keltie
08-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Oh my jan , how terrible . I would know what to do if it happened to me. I hope you get it all figured out without any further hassle.