PDA

View Full Version : My husband just clogged up my kitchen sink!!!

workin4stamps
08-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Wasn't I annoyed about something yesterday?? Well now I'm annoyed AGAIN!!!

This morning DH took some shredded pork stuff that he got from someone last weekend and put it down the garbage disposal. Fast forward to about 1/2 hour later..........he is making corn bread muffins, and goes to rinse off the dishes and nothing will go down the sink! He comes in the LR to get me and says something is wrong. I go out there and water is backing up on both sides of the sink. UGHH!!!!

I asked him if when he put the pork down the disposal did he be sure to run HOT water for a while along with it. No!! He used cold water. So now I suppose that all the fat out of the meat hardened up and plugged up the pipes.

I called a plumber, but who knows if they'll call me back on a Sunday.

I told him he's not allowed to use the kitchen anymore. He said that would be fine in only I cooked!!!!!!! LOL

cindi
08-17-2008, 12:11 PM
can you try some hot water and Dawn dish liquid to break down the fat??
good luck
:angry:

workin4stamps
08-17-2008, 12:13 PM
I don't know! Now there is water standing in it. I don't think it would work if I can't get the water to go down. KWIM??

cindi
08-17-2008, 12:15 PM
I don't know! Now there is water standing in it. I don't think it would work if I can't get the water to go down. KWIM??

how about some draino or liquid plumber?
:huh:

tojoco
08-17-2008, 01:02 PM
Traci, here's what DH did a few years ago when he was able to and the disposal got clogged -- if you want to try it! Open the cabinet door under the sink. Put a bucket or some type of container under the "elbow" part of the pipe to catch the water that will come out. Get some pliers and take the "elbow" part off of the pipe. The water should pour out and the pork (if there still is some in the area) will also come out. At least the resting water will be gone. Then put the "elbow" back on and run your steaming hot water thru the pipes. Good luck and I hope this works for you if you try it.

suzi_f
08-17-2008, 01:11 PM
ICK!! Turn on the disposer. Sometimes, my sink will back up but, if I run the disposer, it all goes down. I'm thinking it ended w/the blades in the wrong place blocking the holes or something. COVER the Disposer area w/a plate or something so the water (and whatever) doesn't go flying all over your kitchen.

If the disposer doesn't turn on, it could be something stuck & then you have to do the broom handle thing w/it. Good luck. I hope it's easy & you don't have to call a plumber!!!

My3Ds
08-17-2008, 01:51 PM
Tell him no more pork in the disposal. Hot water is bad for the disposal. In this case he needed it for the fat, but hot water and pork do not go in the disposal. Bad boy! Now step away from the sink. Good luck - I hope you guys can get it fixed without a plumber. I'm sorry you are annoyed.

workin4stamps
08-17-2008, 02:00 PM
Tell him no more pork in the disposal. Hot water is bad for the disposal. In this case he needed it for the fat, but hot water and pork do not go in the disposal. Bad boy! Now step away from the sink. Good luck - I hope you guys can get it fixed without a plumber. I'm sorry you are annoyed.

really?? I always use hot water down the disposal! Especially if I'm putting something "fatty" down it. I really don't use my disposal a lot, but if I do, and if it's fatty, I always give it a good heavy dose of hot water!!

hmmm....who would have known??

CharityHand
08-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Oh, isn't it fun when husbands "help" us around the house. My DH clogs the toilet on a regular basis.

Have you tried drano? Not sure if you can use it down the disposal side though.

My3Ds
08-17-2008, 02:06 PM
I've always been told to use cold water. Run water down the drain first, add the food, and continue to run cold water after you think the food is gone. Turn off the disposal and let a little more water go down. I also don't put meat down the disposal. Mostly just food scraps like you would put in a composte pile and foods that would dissolve easily. Have your dh put his hand in to make sure nothing is haning around in the drain or around the blades. (Of course, you may wanna turn the power off first.)

workin4stamps
08-17-2008, 02:10 PM
I just found this online:

Garbage disposals work best if you:
* Use at least two gallons of cold water per minute--when grinding food (hot water can melt fats and clog the mechanism and the pipes)

* Do not overfill the disposer

* Do not pour bleach, drain cleaners, or other chemicals into the unit

* Do not grind overly fibrous materials, bones, or coffee grounds (check the owners manual) or materials like glass, metal, or rubber

So I guess I have been doing it wrong all along by using hot water!!!

shuggy
08-17-2008, 02:23 PM
I just found this online:

) or materials like glass, metal, or rubber

oh man! that's what i've been doing wrong!!:laugh: