PDA

View Full Version : Back from our camping trip

logcabincreations
09-01-2008, 11:10 PM
We went tent camping at the KOA in Wytheville, VA (about 2 hours from home) and then visiting the GIANT flea market in Hillsville, VA. Saturday we went for 4 hours and Sunday for 3 hours. Very hot on Saturday; more bearable on Sunday.

I found a Gone With The Wind movie program that has all the cast names and characters played in order of appearance in the movie. It's in really good shape. On the back is a drug store name, so it makes me think these programs must have been in print and either given away or sold in stores when the movie first came out. Asked the lady how much she wanted for it and she said $2. I said o.k. She said she had no way to wrap it up and told me to pick out a book for free (her husband mumbled something to her and frowned :realmad:) but I went over to the big assortment of books and said "any book?" and she said "yes", so I chose a 1988 hard back Southern Living Cookbook...lol.....so I got that cookbook and Gone With The Wind program thingy all for $2. Bet her hubby gave her a lashing when I left her booth.

I picked up 2 pieces of Amber Depression Glass (Sharon Rose pattern) to add to my very small collection -- I got a cup and Saucer - $15. Considering I saw just the cup in other booths for $25 and up, I think I got a deal.

And for my friend, Kim~Hutchink......I got you not 1, not 2......but 9 skeleton keys (about 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches long) and 4 smaller old keys. One of the skeleton keys is brass and the others something else (you may need to clean them up a bit).

Enjoyed time with friends at the campground; the boys went swimming with their 2 best friends, and Sat. night and Sun. night there was "live" bluegrass music at the pavillion. The boys played pool, putt putt, basketball, arcade games and hit baseball in the batting cage. I relaxed and read ... what else? stamping catalogs (TAC, SU & CTMH)...lol

We got back home today (Monday) around 1pm; after unpacking I took a 3 hour nap. ;)

scrappinnuts
09-01-2008, 11:15 PM
Gotta love KOA...they are always our Favorite...sounds like you picked up a couple of good deals at the flea market...love those also.

Christie
09-02-2008, 07:32 AM
Sounds like you had a great trip. I love that you found the Gone with the Wind program book!

tojoco
09-02-2008, 08:28 AM
My friend and I were just talking about Gone with the Wind and I said that I want to see it again. Glad you got the movie program at a great bargain. Sounds like you had a wonderful Labor Day weekend.

tesschap
09-02-2008, 08:30 AM
Sounds like a wonderful weekend. Great job with your flea market finds :)

logcabincreations
09-02-2008, 09:05 AM
Sounds like you had a great trip. I love that you found the Gone with the Wind program book!

Actually, it's not the book (wish it was.) It's 8 1/2 X 11 sheet of paper folded in half. It's a cream color (yellowish/faded over the years). On the front is Tara at the top of the page, and below is the name of the movie...starring....and a list of the main characters. Inside it says "the players" and a list of cast in order of their appearance in the movie. The back is stamped with drug store name in Covington, VA. Also inside are period pictures of men and women in costume. This must have once been a black and white print but faded to yellowish/cream color over the years? not sure.

So it looks liked the size of a playbill or church bulletin. I'm trying to find it on the internet...no luck yet.

iloveflipflops
09-02-2008, 09:39 AM
Glad you had fun Jan. But I don't think I can sleep in a tent. Find me a good hotel with a/c and I'm all set :)

tesschap
09-02-2008, 09:47 AM
Glad you had fun Jan. But I don't think I can sleep in a tent. Find me a good hotel with a/c and I'm all set :)

Awww - come on Sherri. You have to sleep in a tent. I need you to do the 3-Day Walk with me one of these years and part of the fun is sleeping in a
4 x 6 two person tent for two nights while your body aches all over from walking :)

iloveflipflops
09-02-2008, 09:51 AM
The last time I slept in a tent was when Emily was in girl scouts. She was in 3rd or 4th grade. We were in Ft Wilderness in Orlando so it was a very nice campground. Anything in Disney is nice. Well, all night long, I was hearing this noise. It was the whipperwhil bird (not sure how to spell it). That darn thing kept me up all night. The next night I was a zombie so I took a benedryl so i would sleep. What kind of parent was I that I took a sleeping aid ? HA HA But i had to get some sleep I was so tired. I slept great!! LOL

logcabincreations
09-02-2008, 10:12 AM

This year I bought air mattresses for everyone...dh and I had a queen size one, and the 2 boys twin. They had their own tent too.

Other than the night bugs making a lot of noise, I slept pretty good. I took extra blankets as the nights were cool, but I was cozy next to dh. ;)

mydogstinks2
09-02-2008, 11:07 AM
sounds like a great trip. The flea market sounds like it was wonderful!! I love to go to flea markets.

hutchink
09-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Oh Sis- it sounds like you had a wonderful time! I am just getting home from Sam's first day at school- it was only an hour!

Thank you thank you! I am so excited :)

logcabincreations
09-02-2008, 02:07 PM
You're welcome...I'll try to mail them out tomorrow.

cindi
09-02-2008, 02:23 PM
sounds like a wonderful trip!!
and great shoping too..gotta love it
:)

logcabincreations
09-02-2008, 09:58 PM
And this is my depression glass cup and saucer I purchased for $15 at the flea market:

http://www.ediesglassware.com/depression-v3/fullsizepages/deppic8-20-01-052full.htm

Trishlvscards
09-02-2008, 11:32 PM
Glad you had a good time.

teabear
09-03-2008, 01:43 AM
It sounds like an amazing trip and yahoo on finding those keys for Kim. She's gonna love those :)

Kokopelli
09-03-2008, 05:05 AM
In our younger days we tent camped a lot. Back then they didn't have those nice air beds like they have today! Or the tents with three and four rooms! When my daughter was one we stayed for a week in a one room tent and it rained almost every night! Talk about being sick of looking at four walls of canvas! Sounds like you had a great trip! I go for hotels nowadays!

My3Ds
09-03-2008, 07:44 AM
Jan - sounds like so much fun. I don't mind camping. My dh is like Sherri - he needs a real bed and ac. I feel badly that my boys will grow up probably never getting to camp until they are grown up. :( I assume you like GWTW. It's my favorite movie.