PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help with mineral spirits

barbiegirl
09-04-2008, 01:47 PM
I've seen stamped images colored with prisma water color pencils, then instead of using water they have used Mineral Spirits. I just love that look.
Can anyone tell me where to find it, and is it really called Mineral Spirits or something else?:worried:

Sherry
09-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Most stampers use a product called 'Gamsol', which is a brand of mineral spirits. You can purchase it from Inky Antics (http://inkyantics.com/acc1.htm) for $5.95.

If you have children, make sure you hide the product well out of their reach. It is fatal if swallowed.

Suzanne
09-04-2008, 02:57 PM
Like Sherry said you can buy Gamsol from InkyAntics (this is where I have gotten mine) but I have also heard of people buying a brand called Mona Lisa from Michaels and it working just fine as well.

Just make sure you get Odorless Mineral Spirits and it should be fine no matter what brand you get.

barbiegirl
09-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Thank you for your help, I will try those
:cute:

IMBlessed5
09-04-2008, 04:43 PM
I bought my Odorless Mineral Spirits in the paint dept. at Walmart. I use them with blending stumps and regular colored pencils (not watercolor although I'm sure it would blend those too, LOL). But it's a good way to get that blended look using regular colored pencils!

smkymtsu
09-04-2008, 08:10 PM
I bought my Odorless Mineral Spirits in the paint dept. at Walmart. I use them with blending stumps and regular colored pencils (not watercolor although I'm sure it would blend those too, LOL). But it's a good way to get that blended look using regular colored pencils!

Vicki is right! Buy odorless mineral spirits or turpenoid from WM or your local hardware store. It's cheaper than gamsol and does the same thing. In fact to be honest......gamsol is just a finer grade or also called artist grade of mineral spirits. If you go to youtube.com and put in a search for coloring with gamsol and / or mineral spirits.....you'll find lots of videos showing you how to use it with the prisma color pencils.

Paula Carden
09-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Lowes Home Improvement, Home Depot.
Last a long time- I still like the the gamsol because it is in the little bottle with dauber- of course I could poor the other into it.
Maybe next time.
It is fatal if swolled so needs to not be in child's reach but also pets if you have a doggy that likes to chew.

kerry
09-04-2008, 10:06 PM
If you buy a big bottle of the mona lisa or grummbachers, you can get some dauber bottles from Oriental trading...Oriental trading sells them advertised as "paint daubers" for like kindergarten classrooms.

Maybe that could be a bulk buy here...I have to order from Oriental trading soon anyway...

Kerry

smkymtsu
09-04-2008, 10:23 PM
I bought my dauber bottle (glass) to put mine in at Blick Art Materials. It was under $2.00 for one. What ever type bottle you buy....it must be glass. Plastic bottles are not good for mineral spirits or gamsol.

barbiegirl
09-05-2008, 10:35 AM
WOW, thanks alot ladies, you were all so helpfull - I'm going to go to the store this weekend.
Thanks a bunch