PDA

View Full Version : First college catastrophy

tojoco
09-05-2008, 10:29 AM
As a requirement at GT, Corey had to get a specific laptop with certain software. Needless to say, it was a ton of money. Well, last night around 11:00 pm, Corey called and asked me to call Dell and tell them he needs a new laptop. He was extremely upset because his hard drive crashed. Luckily he did a backup the night before but now all the applications are home AND he has to handwrite all class notes (can you imagine - LOL!!!). Anyway, I told him that he's the one that has to call Dell because they may ask questions about it that I don't know. He is also the one that ordered it in the first place. I can easily ship all the software over to him but hopefully he will be successful with Dell and quickly get the situation corrected.

Vintagegal
09-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Oh, man oh man! First of all, (and this truly shows my age) I didn't know that students "took notes" on their laptops in class. Where have I been?

I'm sorry this has happened. I can imagine how mad and stressed Corey is, now. Will Dell be able to get a computer to him today, do you think?

logcabincreations
hope he gets it resolved quickly.

directmailscrapper
At least it happened at the beginning of the semester and he didn't lose an entire semester of notes, etc! Hope they can recover what he lost. Dell should take good care of him.

shadoob
09-05-2008, 10:48 AM
yikes. THis sounds like a good "learning experience" for both of you....ie: you can't help when you want to and he needs to take care of it himself. It's so hard to be a mom!
good luck to him.

flyingflower
09-05-2008, 10:52 AM
and here I was thinking the dear boy had pink undies now

patcreates
09-05-2008, 11:08 AM
Does GT have on campus tech support? I know when we purchased my son's laptop, we did it through the college website link to Dell and part of the cost covered their on campus tech support. This is everything that was included:

Support

On-campus Dell-certified technicians
IT Department support (walk-in or phone)
Dell 3 Yr Limited Warranty
Dell 1 Yr warranty on laptop battery
Dell On-Site Service and Complete Care (http://www.salemstate.edu/laptop/docs/DellCompleteCare.pdf) [PDF 42KB]
Use of a loaner laptop during repairs

tojoco
09-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Does GT have on campus tech support? I know when we purchased my son's laptop, we did it through the college website link to Dell and part of the cost covered their on campus tech support. This is everything that was included:

Support

On-campus Dell-certified technicians
IT Department support (walk-in or phone)
Dell 3 Yr Limited Warranty
Dell 1 Yr warranty on laptop battery
Dell On-Site Service and Complete Care (http://www.salemstate.edu/laptop/docs/DellCompleteCare.pdf) [PDF 42KB]
Use of a loaner laptop during repairs

Oh Pat, good point. I will call Corey right now and tell him this.

mydogstinks2
09-05-2008, 11:56 AM
I agree at least it was at the begining of the year so he did not lose to much.

I hope he gets if fixed fast!!

My3Ds
09-05-2008, 12:09 PM

Margo - you crack me up. He hasn't been there long enough yet to have to do laundry, right.

tojoco
09-05-2008, 12:14 PM

No pink undies yet as he brought all his clothes home last weekend to wash. Also, I don't think he owns a pair of whitey-tighties. He only wears black boxers so I don't think we'll be seeing pink undies.

workin4stamps
09-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Plus I would think that under the circumstances they would be willing to send the stuff directly to him at school....to save some time.......

Good luck!