PDA

View Full Version : Advent calendar- people with teens read please!

maxiesmom
09-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Ok, so I saw these on a blog and would really like to make one for both SIL's. The one has a 14, 12 & almost 7 y/o children. This one is a no brainer, she would appreciate it and the 6 & 12 y/o would get a kick out of it. My other SIL, the kids are almost 20 and 12. Now my 12 y/o nephew this summer, when asked if he needed help with something, sort of sang to me "I'm a big kid now" Ok fine! Do it yourself! So I am kind of thinking he won't really care about it, but I didn't want to do for one and not the other.

If you have children in the preteen age group, would they think this is cute? I guess I could always just make some cute cards for the other SIL.

What do ya think ladies??

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ee/index.php/resources/tutorials/advent_calendar/

frankiesue
09-06-2008, 03:49 PM
What a Fab Idea... I'm sure my teenager would something like that......even the older two as well.

Thanks for sharing

tesschap
09-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Heck I'd like one and I'm long past being a preteen :) They are adorable. My boys are 24 & 26 and they'd get a kick out of it too!

Lisa
09-06-2008, 06:26 PM
My girls are in their early twenties, and they would LOVE this! I will definately be making 2 of these. It's fantastic.

logcabincreations
09-06-2008, 06:42 PM
I just asked my 12 (almost 13 year old) and 18 (almost 19 year old) sons, and they both said they liked it as long as there is a treat for each day...lol

GrammaStamper
09-06-2008, 06:47 PM
I buy Advent Calendars for all my kids and the youngest is 25 yrs now, so I think a 'kid' of any age would like them. I just may make these this year, they're great. TFS.

kimmyqtgirl
09-06-2008, 07:59 PM
That is such a cute idea. Looks like a lot of work. I know I would like one and I'm beyond my teens :)

maxiesmom
09-06-2008, 08:24 PM
I was doing some pricing today while I was out, the canvas runs 9.99 and the tins are 30 for 19.99 at Michael's. Of course I'd be using my 40% coupons and it also helps that I have gift cards for both there and Joann that I could use.

And certainly there will be a treat for each day! Glad to hear that I'm not the only one that likes these. My bff said her son likes them, but they have always gotten one so he's used to having one already!

logcabincreations
09-06-2008, 08:28 PM
I might have to figure out some way to make a smaller one for my son who is at bootcamp...I feel certain he won't be home for Christmas, but off training somewhere else. If anyone has ideas for this let me know. I won't be able to use metal tins.

maxiesmom
09-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Jan, go onto SCS and in the gallery search for advent calendars, that's what I did at first and that's when I found Beate's tutorial. There are some that look much smaller with little lift away flaps.

maxiesmom
09-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Here's one that looks smaller, but she doesn't say how she made it at all.

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/1039787?si=advent%20calendar

And this one actually looks very clever, I just wonder how she has the paper attached that hides the holes. Ok, I found another lady that made these and she used business card size magnets that are self adhesive and cut them in half.

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/735437?si=advent%20calendar

kimmyqtgirl
09-06-2008, 08:40 PM
I might have to make some for my cousins, they would love it.

teabear
09-07-2008, 12:00 AM
My 13 yo still loves the cute little cardboard advent calendars that have a chocolate in each day. LOL. As long as candy is involved he's in.

cecescraps
09-07-2008, 12:28 AM
There is a company- might be Memory Maker's but, not sure- that has a wooden box type version of these. Then you just decorate the various wooden doors and put the candy/gifts in the drawer thingys. I think Target carried a version last year too that a lot of people used... might be easier than buying all the individual parts. Oh, and my kids are 15 (almost) and 17 and they look forward to these little treats almost as much as the big stuff. :)