PDA

View Full Version : I think I have decided to get off these headache meds

iloveflipflops
09-07-2008, 02:11 PM
1) I have every single side effect from the medicine I can possibly have.

2) I would rather have a migraine (ok, maybe not but still ...)

3) I feel like crap taking it.

4) I dont' care if i eat or fix meals for the family, that's not good either.

5) Do we have food in the house? I dont' care about that either. Again, not good.

6) Could care less if I ever have chocolate again - AGAIN, WHAT's WRONG HERE?

7) Sleeping ALOT. Napping ALOT.

8) Feet tingly, hands tingly. Not good if I want to stamp.

9) No appetite. Don't mind that but my food doesn't taste good. None of it.

10) Always have a metalic taste in my mouth. Have to constantly chew gum.

That's been my last month and I am not crazy about this medicine .. Topomax is the medicine. The only good thing is I've lost almost 10 lbs. I would've thought i would've lost 30 lbs since i am barely eating but my clothes are fitting loose so that's a plus :)

Plus I have had a headache the last 2 days and still have to take my Imitrex plus 4 motrins .... on top of this Topomax so .. we shall see what the dr says on Tuesday. I still say I want to see what the source of this headache is and get to the bottom of it. I don't want to mask the source.

jazzypurple853
09-07-2008, 02:20 PM
I don't blame you one bit. I want to know what the source of what was causing the migraines. I wouldn't want to be on medicine with those side effects. Did they tell you what the side effects would be before you were to take the medicine?

iloveflipflops
09-07-2008, 02:32 PM
They were plainly written on the drug instructions but sometimes I dont' get any side effects - this one i have every single one of them. There are like 11 and i have every stinkin' one of them! :(

ngreek
09-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Before going off of the Topomax.. talk to your doctor. Depending on the dosage Topomax is one of those meds (known as an older psychiatric medication and been used for migraines and somethng else but I can not remember off the top of my had right now) that if you do not taper off of it can give you even more side effects.

Also Topomax is a medication known for peoples weight loss when they are on it.
Nicole

My3Ds
09-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Ditto to what Nicole said about tapering off. Check with your Dr first. I don't blame you for not wanting to take it though, especially if you are still getting the headaches. Hopefully it is the cyst that's causing the problem and that can be fixed.

logcabincreations
09-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Saying a prayer...I'm so sorry you feel bad. Sometimes medications are worse than the problem, but like the others said, talk to your dr.

ngreek
09-07-2008, 04:55 PM
I remember now they are currently precribing topomax for people who get hand tremors that are not the result of side effects from medications.

scraphappy908
09-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Sherri, I'm glad you are going to the gyn on Tuesday and that you are arming yourself with questions. Make sure you are satisfied with the answers before you leave. I hope all goes well for you and I will be thinking of you. You're in my prayers.

Christie
09-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Wow, I'm not sure I would want to stay on them either. I'm sorry the medicine isn't working for you. Maybe there is something else the doctor can give you to try that might work. Hope your doctor can get this all figured out for you.

iloveflipflops
09-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Yes I am going to take it till I see the dr and then see what he says. I know the dosages can be changed too but I am so sick of feeling like this and i feel like all I am doing is complaining to you guys!!

jazzypurple853
09-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Maybe there's another medicine that they can try. I'd make sure and tell the doctor that your getting all those side effects. I don't think by having a smaller dosage on this medicine will help. I don't feel as though your complaining, your not feeling like yourself, and you need shoulders to comfort you.

ngreek
09-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Another option you do have is talk to your pharmicist. The pharmacists tend to be MORE aware of medication interactions. Ask your pharmacist if this could be a side effect from the medication by iteself or because it is mixing potentially with another prescription.

Nicole

flyingflower
09-08-2008, 09:45 AM
A know a gal who was having HORRIBLE migraines - she went through a series of acupunture treatments and her headaches are GONE!!!

GrammaStamper
09-08-2008, 10:35 AM
Sherri, I hope you get answers and that you can get off Topomax. It doesn't sound like you're having a pleasant time with this stuff. Hugs to you and prayers that you start feeling better soon.

iloveflipflops
09-08-2008, 10:40 AM
I am definitely going to see what the gyn says tomorrow. Then I am thinking chiropractor or acupuncturer after that.

These headaches are for the birds. I had one again last night and again this morning. This is 5 days in a row!!!!

logcabincreations
09-08-2008, 10:42 AM
I am definitely going to see what the gyn says tomorrow. Then I am thinking chiropractor or acupuncturer after that.

These headaches are for the birds. I had one again last night and again this morning. This is 5 days in a row!!!!

Glad you are going to the gyn tomorrow. Something definitely is wrong for you to be having so many headaches. Here's a hug and a flower...my prayers are with you. :wubclub:

Kokopelli
09-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Maybe the doc can give your another medication that will work but without all the bad side effects. I agree...all that you named would be horrible to live with! Good luck and prayers, too!

mjbonoan
09-13-2008, 01:56 AM
I hope feel better soon, I hate pain meds... I can relate to what you are feeling!!!

I've had a really bad headache for about a month now, the doc called it neuralgia something or another... a side effect of "shingles" that refuse to go away (or so he says). My mom and I both have the same exact symptoms except my neuralgia is on the right side and moms is on the left. I had to go to the ER last Saturday, I got two shots and was knocked out all weekend. I was going for a ct scan but the place that the doc sent me to would not take my insurance. Now I have to go back to my family doc for new orders for the scan. I wish they would find out what is wrong once and for all...

tesschap
09-13-2008, 07:31 AM
Sherri - what did the doctor say about you continuing to take these meds with all the side effects, etc?

Patty
09-13-2008, 07:55 AM
I'm glad you are ready to make a change--sometimes the Rx is worse than the ailment. Did you consider looking into some type of natural cure? I go in spurts as far as looking into things, but I really believe that before the Rx companies came along people had pain and they treated it. For instance, cherries for gout,(I thnk cherry juice works too).pomegranite (sp?) juice (which surprisingly tastes very good) for arthritis pain, and evening primrose oil for pms--I tried all those except the cherries (cuz I don't have gout). ALSO, go on line and look up DR. GOTT. He has a column in many newspapers and he has letters from people who tried things--normal things--(not chemicals)and they worked. He's very conservative and he explains things. For instance, I have RLS (restless leg)--drove me to tears for years--people wrote to him and said put an unwrapped bar of soap under your bottom sheet near your calf--I did this at 3am one night--as soon as my leg touched that I was able to relax and go to sleep. Since then I have talked to dozens of people who do that and it works. Health food stores also have little booklets about things like this---just some suggestions--I pray you feel better for ever soon--after all, YOU COULD BE STAMPING INSTEAD OF HURTING!!! Keep us posted--patty