PDA

View Full Version : Emily & I went to college night tonight...

iloveflipflops
09-15-2008, 08:30 PM
she is only a junior but the principal at her school suggested that all juniors and seniors were invited to go so we went. Emily has NO idea what she wants to do, where she wants to go, but it was good to go and get a bunch of brochures that she could at least start looking at them and start to think about it all.

Its all hard to believe really!!

2010 will be here in the blink of an eye (right Joanne?)

My3Ds
09-15-2008, 08:34 PM
I'm so not looking forward to these days. :(

directmailscrapper
09-15-2008, 08:34 PM
We will be going to secondary school night next week. We've been going since 3rd grade! I didn't grow up here, so I didn't know what high schools there were around here and I wanted to get familiar with them. Now that Emily is in 7th grade, the time is getting closer! She will have to start applying to high schools by this time next year. Yikes!

Good luck with your Emily -- lots of tough decisions ahead!

shadoob
09-15-2008, 08:48 PM
we found that starting early and learning what the kids DON'T want to do and where they DON'T want to go actually helped the process quite a bit!

cindi
09-15-2008, 08:56 PM
what did Emily think?? and are you ok?? Your baby girl is growing up! keep us updated on Emily's possible college choices
:)

tojoco
09-15-2008, 09:09 PM
That's when we started looking, Sherri -- junior year. Every year there is a college fair. You'll probably go to 2 or 3 more. You may want to consider going on college tours next early summer or early fall. See how fast time flies. It's all very sad. Your baby girl will be growing into a very self-sufficient, independent young lady soon. I have tears in my eyes just thinking about it. You will be wishing she was that little baby cradled in your arms again. I know the feeling all too well.

I'm real curious as to what Emily will become interested in and what school she might go to. Corey knew he wanted to be in Aerospace but he changed his mind a few times on the colleges that offered it.

logcabincreations
09-15-2008, 09:10 PM
Our high school has a college fair coming up too....and I've been going to it the past 4 years.

scrappinnuts
09-15-2008, 09:25 PM
We Started with each of our kids When they first entered HS... None of them knew what they wanted to do until starting college...after the first year...that is what I find best....some colleges will try to push the kids to declare a major right from the beggining...but if you look at how many kids change there minds in the first year...it will save you money ....all three of my kids started off thinking they wanted one major and then changed their minds in the second year... so it helps if they only take the core classes in the first year and then start taking their major course classes after that. And then you don't waste a lot of money. Goodluck... to you all

Kreative Dryve
09-15-2008, 11:15 PM
As a mom of a senior and a sophmore, it is never too early to start this process. I am thankful for the guidance that these type of events bring.
My daughter wants to play college softball so that helps with the money, at least some of it, but now she has to like the school and the coach that comes with the program.
She is thinking about Oregon, GO DUCKS!!

cecescraps
09-16-2008, 12:31 AM
Great idea to go this year Sherri. I wish Patrick would decide where he wants to apply but, he wants to go to a few more colleges (remember our "college tour" this summer?)
in the next few weeks and he's taking the ACT again in Oct. He did really well the one time he took it but, if he can make 1 or 2 pts better than, he'll qualify for more merit based awards. Oh, and if it makes you feel any better, he's a SENIOR and isn't sure what he wants to major in.

iloveflipflops
09-16-2008, 05:55 AM
She will take her SAT this January so we already have that date. WOW, its happening all too fast.

MidwestStamper
09-16-2008, 08:58 AM
That's when we started for my older son too. Going to a couple local College Fairs helped too. We visited the U of M up in Duluth (up north) over the MEA (Minnesota Educators Assoc.) break in October which was nice because that school was actually in session.

Do your kids get a Teacher's Workshop break in October or some other time of the year? Those are good times to go visit any College that you might be interested in seeing. They will gladly schedule a tour for you.

My younger DS Daniel is a Junior too and he's interested in anything ranging from Computer Programming/Web Design to being a Lawyer!