PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of the dermatologist... she is highly recommending Emily be put on

iloveflipflops
09-18-2008, 06:21 PM
Accutane. I cringed at first. That stuff is so strong. The manual that they make you read scares me half to death.

Is anyone else on it? I am thinking about it now. I know it can cause depression and mood swings (do we really need anymore teen mood swings around here than we already have?) but they do make her come in once a month for blood work and keep a close eye on her. She just takes it for 5 months and then she SHOULD be acne free for good.

My3Ds
09-18-2008, 06:43 PM
Is accutane for acne? I would be leary of using it also. I don't even like the labels on the stuff you can buy on the shelves at any of the pharmacies. If she only has to use it for a few months and you keep a close eye on her you should be okay. So far, ds (15) hasn't had any problems with acne. Just an occassional zit here and there.

Suzanne
09-18-2008, 09:34 PM
Sherri has Emily tried using the Proactive stuff on her acne? I have a cousin who had horrible acne I mean really really bad acne as a teen and she used Proactive and her skin looked awesome. It took a little while but it did work. I think she had tried everything short of using Accutane.

Firecracker
09-18-2008, 09:43 PM
I used the accutane it worked wonders. I would definitely recommend it. Hugs, Heather

bubblegum girl
09-18-2008, 11:33 PM
I suggest minocyclene it is an antibiotic but it does help with acne.

cecescraps
09-19-2008, 12:58 AM
Patrick has a few friends that have been on it and had really great results. We haven't had to go there yet and it's probably a good thing since he is terrified of needles and having to give blood once a month. LOL Merritt hasn't had to use anything yet... fingers crossed. Have you tried anything else w/ Emily?? I'll have to ask Patrick what he uses later...

iloveflipflops
09-19-2008, 05:55 AM
Emily has been on the minocyclene for a year and her dr doesn't like to keep them on it longer than that - it can cause liver damage so I just don't know what to do.

irishchristine
09-19-2008, 06:45 AM
A friend in high school was on that and you have to very careful being in the sun.

Paula Carden
09-19-2008, 07:27 AM
When I worked in the lab we drew/tested blood on teens and adults all the time on accutane. It usually raises the lipids- chol and triglycerides. After being off the accutane for a few months all returns to normal.
The results we would see with people were amazing-the hope is that it gets rid of the acne forever- I did the tetracycline drugs as a teen and when I was in my 40's I still had problems (more tetracyclines) now in my early 50's I have problems (Rosecea)-wish I had the accutane.
The first month or so the skin is worse and then it clears up- AMAZING results for most.
Good luck with your decision.

logcabincreations
09-19-2008, 09:40 AM
I did the same as Paula, and tetracycline is bad for your teeth too. I now have rosacea.

ccstampin12
09-19-2008, 10:13 AM
This may be an older fix for acne, but my kids used Tetracycline (sp) and Retin A
This fixed them right up!!!
Don't know if these are prescribed these days...but might be a less drastic help!
Joanie

cecescraps
09-19-2008, 01:36 PM
I just looked at Patrick's prescription and he's on Cephalexin. It seems to work really well for him except for during wrestling season but, that's another story all together. LOL