PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Insurance company

Christie
10-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Well our ins. guy came out today. Turns out that they are only going to pay $1200 of our damages and by the time we take the $1000 deductible off that's only $200. He says that because it's only $200 that we shouldn't make a claim because our rates will go up and if we need to make another for some other reason down the road they could threaten to cancell us! :wacko: Looks like we will have to make all the repairs out of our own pocket which is going to be around $3000! Stupid Hurricane Ike too!!!

Paula Carden
10-03-2008, 07:44 PM
What a rip- that is why people have insurance. Doesn't sound at all fair but I guess on the bright side is that is only 3000 and not more. It just doesn't sound like they should be able to raise your rates-after all we have insurance to help with problems, otherwise we are paying ridculous rates just for them to come out and advise not to use it. Makes no sense at all. Thank goodness you don't have more damage that you would have to pay for out of pocket!
Stupid Insurance and IKE- I agree!

pesc
10-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Oh Christie I'm sorry. In times like that we would like our insurance to do their job!!!

cindi
10-03-2008, 07:49 PM
hmm..Paula makes a good point! if a person was disiplined enough..m,aybe it would be better to pay a bank account the premiums and then you'd have the $ tio fix your damage! sorry C, this stinks!
and don't get me started remeber our boating unsurance woes?? well I'm still not
over that!
:mad:

Canadian, eh
10-03-2008, 08:10 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this awful news.

loobylou
10-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Well that stinks! I guess the insurance companies would be doing their best to minimize their obligations- but it doesn' seem ethical for him to advise you not to make a claim.

CharityHand
10-03-2008, 09:42 PM
Oh, doesn't that just burn you up?! So sorry to hear that. I hate insurance companies. Don't get me started on health insurance....

I hear that even when you call and ask about placing a claim they mark it on your record. Even if you don't follow through with it.

Firecracker
10-03-2008, 10:26 PM
That stinks Christie. Good luck fixing everything. I''m sending you a hug. Hugs, Heather

GSMom385
10-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Christie they pulled that crap on us too when we had our kitchen issues and my hubby said screw it, file the claim anyway, they haven't raised our rates or dropped us, I think they just tell you that to scare the you know what out of you. Our kitchen bill was 7000 by the time we got done and they paid almost 5000 of it. We had a depreciation thing for the floor covering otherwise it would have been more. That is the only claim we have ever had and we have had insurance for more than 20 years. Not sure what will happen if we have something again, but it is something to think about. I think they pay agents to be scarey, when honestly that is when you need them the most.

midnitecreations
10-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Isn't it just amazing. We pay a ton for insurance, but the minute we use it, the premium goes up! Unfortunately, I have to agree with the estimator. It's not worth the premium being raised for $200.00

logcabincreations
10-03-2008, 10:52 PM
Sis, have you had any repairmen come give you an estimate of how much it will cost to fix everything? Seems to me an adjuster, unless he is a licensed contractor who knows the cost of such thing, wouldn't give a fair estimate. I would get a couple estimates from contractors and take those to your insurance company. Tell them the adjuster's estimate was too low.

Christie
10-04-2008, 08:43 AM
We got one on the chimney and they would only do $600 of the $900 it is going to cost. The fence we are going to do ourselves but we do need to get one for the siding on the house.

Sis, have you had any repairmen come give you an estimate of how much it will cost to fix everything? Seems to me an adjuster, unless he is a licensed contractor who knows the cost of such thing, wouldn't give a fair estimate. I would get a couple estimates from contractors and take those to your insurance company. Tell them the adjuster's estimate was too low.