PDA

View Full Version : Sausage Noodle Casserole

logcabincreations
10-04-2008, 09:04 PM
1 pound sausage (I use Jimmy Dean)
1 Jar spaghetti sauce
1 box pasta (8 serving size)(small macaroni, penne, etc.)
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup milk
2 T. butter or margarine

Brown Sausage (I don't drain it) and add spaghetti sauce -- mix and simmer. Cook noodles according to package directions and drain water.

In sauce pan, heat the soup and butter. Mix well. Turn off heat and add in parmesan cheese--mixing well.

In big bowl combine noodles and soup mixture.

Spray deep 13X9 baking dish with cooking spray.

Layer:

1/2 of the noodles and with back of a spatula flatten down somewhat.
1 cup of the mozzarella cheese.
1/2 of the spaghetti sauce

Repeat layers one more time. Top with last cup of mozzarella cheese. Spray cooking spray on a sheet of foil and cover the casserole (keeps the cheese from sticking.) Bake 350 for about 35-45 minutes.

This makes a lot and it will seem like you have too many noodles. You can layer it anyway you want to really, and divide it up and freeze half. Night before put frozen casserole in the refrigerator to begin thawing. One hour before baking let it sit on the counter.

loobylou
10-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Jan, this sounds like a great family casserole. Now tell me- what is sausage? Is it sausagemeat?- like sausageswithout their skins, all squished up together?

cindi
10-04-2008, 09:27 PM
sounds yummy Jan..I can tell df will like this one
:)

buggainok
10-04-2008, 11:32 PM
Loobylou,

The sausage she is talking about in the recipe comes in a plastic wrapped tube. It is ground pork with spices mixed in. It sort of looks like ground hamburger, but has more fat.

You can use it to make patties, and fry it like hamburger patties. It is often used that way for breakfast meat, like bacon and fried eggs, only it's sausage and eggs.

Or you can crumble it and fry it and use it in recipes like the casserole.

buggainok
10-04-2008, 11:36 PM
Thanks Jan. You just planned my Sunday dinner for my dd and family who are coming over. Sounds so good.

loobylou
10-05-2008, 12:19 AM
Thanks Annette. it is what we call sausagemeat- I used some to make sausage rolls yesterday. Adding it to my shopping list right now.

logcabincreations
10-05-2008, 08:28 AM
Yes Sarah to what Annette said (thanks Annette); I use a fork and mash up/crumble the sausage while I'm frying it. The reason I don't drain the sausage is because what little bit of grease comes out of it flavors the sauce a little differently than hamburger does...I think it's better. Also, I added a little sugar to the spaghetti sauce...about a 1/2 teaspoon. But you don't have to.

When I got home from work last night I asked all the boys if they liked it and they said yes....and Dustin (my Justin's friend) said it was awesome....lol

Serve with salad and bread sticks for a complete meal.

Oh...and the soup mixture keeps your noodles from being too dry....I have had baked spaghetti before or other similar casseroles that were just too dry.