PDA

View Full Version : Sausage/Egg Casserole

buggainok
10-07-2008, 07:39 PM
Jan/logcabincreations was great to share her Sausage Noodle Casserole recipe. I fixed it for Sunday Dinner and we didn't have a speck left. Everyone loved it. Thanks, Jan.

So I am returning the favor and posting a favorite of mine that is similar, but different.

Sausage/Egg Casserole

10/12 slices of bread (I use wholewheat) torn into small pieces.
3 C sharp grated cheddar cheese
1 lb sausage, browned (Jimmy Dean is good)
4 eggs
2-1/2 - 2-3/4 C milk
1 can mushroom soup
3 tsp. dry ground/powdered mustard

Grease or spray 9 x 13 pan. Spread about 3 layers of bread, sausage, and cheese, in pan.
Combine mushroom soup, eggs, milk and dry mustard and mix well with spoon. Pour mixture evenly over casserole. (I've stretched this with more bread, and added a little extra milk at this point.)

Bake uncovered for one hour at 350 degrees. This will puff up while baking, kind of like a souffle. When you take it out of the oven, it deflates as it cools. So don't worry if it flattens out. Let stand for about 15 minutes before serving.

If you want to make ahead and refrigerate this overnight to bake and serve as a breakfast/brunch dish, it's great. I've served it that way with a fruit salad and croissants.

It's a nice dish to take to an afternoon baby shower or bridal shower, because it still tastes good when it is lukewarm or room temperature and you don't have to reheat it when you get there.

Leftovers microwave nicely the next day, too.

logcabincreations
10-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks Annette. I have a similar recipe that doesn't call for the soup...but I'll give yours a try.

cindi
10-07-2008, 10:59 PM
sounds really good! I'm keeping this one handy
:)