PDA

View Full Version : A few poll questions about expo shows...

GotCats?
10-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Hey Ladies-Can you help me out with a few questions??? I am trying to decide which/how many expos to sign up for next year and a few answers would really help!!!

1. With the bad economy, are you no longer considering expo shows? Or do you plan to save attend and take XX amount of money to spend?

2. What if there were 2 expos relatively close to each other (Ex: Philly and Allentown PA) like a month apart? If it was in your area, would you be interested to attend if there were different venders at them??

3. For NJ/Philly area gals: I am told the expo that USED to be in NJ will be moving to the Philly area in March. Has anyone attended the NJ expo in the past? How was it? Lots of people?

Hey thanks for any responses. I am worrying about next year already and I am trying to do a little market research....
THANKS!!!!!

loobylou
10-09-2008, 07:27 PM
I'm not in the USA, but I'll tell you anyway just out of interest.
our economy is not fabulous here either. We have 4 Craft Expos a year in Perth (the capital). I used to go to 3, now I only go to 1. I have found that the quality of the shows has gone downhill because the vendors from out of state don't all come anymore. I guess the travelling costs are prohibitive for them. So it seems to be the same local vendors at each show, I think if they moved closer to me I would go more often. Right now I travel about 50 minutes.
oh, one more thing. The vendors do BEST at the expos closer to Mother's day and Christmas- lots of husbands send their wives to buy their own gift!

Good Luck with your expos Tricia.

ctinyjoy
10-09-2008, 07:57 PM
I will still plan to attend an expo. There is only one near me in FL (Stampfest in Orlando in the month of June). If there were more, and they had different vendors, I would go and look probably with XX budget to spend. If they were the same vendors, I would only attend the one closest to my home. I can't answer your third question Tricia since I am not in your area.

GotCats?
10-09-2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks, gals, for the info so far......I am leaning toward maybe signing up for both of the Philly and Allentown ones even though they are close together in time and location.....I'll have to see what everyone else has to day...
But GOOD info!
Thanks!

ctinyjoy
10-09-2008, 08:02 PM
But as a vendor, if you have the resources to do both, do them! I don't know how close the two cities are, but you may have people that will only attend one (the closer one to their home) and you wouldn't want to miss out on them.

directmailscrapper
10-09-2008, 09:00 PM
I have come to the conclusion that I will drive about an hour to go to a show without much thought. More than an hour requires a whole different thought process! I had an opportunity to go to a show a few weeks ago that was about 1-1/2 hours away -- and although I had planned on going for quite a while, I ended up bailing on it.

I realize that doesn't answer your question. I haven't attended many!

Christie
10-09-2008, 09:34 PM
Well the only one around here is this weekend and I'm not going to it because it's an hour away and it's alot smaller then last year.

logcabincreations
10-09-2008, 10:19 PM
I'm thinking about going to the Southern Living Christmas Show this year in NC....I haven't been in several years. There are a few hundred craft and food vendors there and I think even with this economy they will make a profit. Of course I'm guessing.

morgainegeiser
10-09-2008, 11:17 PM
I used to live just outside Aleentown and now my daughter lives a few miles outside the city limits of Philly and most Allentown people don't drive to Philly very often, maybe a couple of times a year. So there is a good chance you will get different people at the two shows. Where is the one in Allentown, just curious? Is it at the fairgrounds or somewhere else?

GotCats?
10-10-2008, 06:46 AM
Yes, the Allentown one is at the fairgrounds across from the farmers market!

Paula Carden
10-10-2008, 07:05 AM
The Southern Living Christmas Show is awesome. I am not so sure I will go this year-soooo many people! It is about 3 hours for me.

I will usually travel up to 3 hours for a stamp convention as the closest ones to me are usually 2-3 hours. I go depending on the time-altho this coming year it will have to do with the economy I suppose-as I can order online what I must have even with S&H it will be as cheap. I enjoy the classes and usually tend to purchase around the classes I attend. This yr I went to the Cincy Show and took a couple or so classes and that is about 5 or 6 hours. So with hotel, fuel,food etc I can shop on line.

allinkdup
10-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Tricia,

I have been working the expo shows for the past 4 years now. At first I started as a demo then I was managing the booth for the owner here on the east coast while she stayed on the west coast (She lives in CA).

Going to PM you now :)

teabear
10-10-2008, 09:46 AM
I attend a show about an hour or a bit less away from me each year in January. I still plan to attend this year and my spending will be close to the same. I don't buy alot, only what I love that I can't get in stores locally. There is another show in November that is almost a two hour drive. I hear wonderful things about it, but have never attended. I'm seriously considering going this year. I have separate money that I spend on craft supplies, save up from money I make selling cards and stuff. So far the economy hasn't affected that, just everything else in my life. LOL I love make and takes and demos. Those really draw me into a booth.