PDA

View Full Version : Crock Pot Q?? high/low

TiikkiStars
10-16-2008, 01:58 PM
How does it affect the time its cooked if you start it out for an hour on high and then move it to low?

Tami suggested cooking a whole chicken with lemons & rosemary for 8 hours on low. I've added carrots and onions to mine. I got it in an hour later than I would have liked and I'd like it to be ready by 5pm, so that's seven hours worth of cooking time available. Do you think it would be ready/cooked through/done in seven hours with cooking it for the first hour on high and the other six on low?

TIA!!

:> Karen

teabear
10-16-2008, 02:11 PM
I often put things on high until I can see it's all steamy and cooking good, then move to low. Sounds like a good plan if it's pretty cold to start. You can't really overcook this and you don't want it undercooked.

TiikkiStars
10-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

logcabincreations
10-16-2008, 02:25 PM
yes I often start mine on high for the first hour or two, then turn to low.

Spartymom
10-16-2008, 02:39 PM
I always start my meal on high at 7:30am and it stays on high all day until 6pm. Super tender and delicious no matter what it is. Glad to see you are giving that crockpot a workout.

iloveflipflops
10-16-2008, 02:48 PM
The thing about a crockpot is you are not supposed to lift the lid while it is cooking. If you lift the lid, you are supposed to add an hour to everytime you lift the lid or something like that. I just never lift my lid and hope for the best!!

ccstampin12
10-16-2008, 02:48 PM
GOOD LUCK!
I know you and your family are eating so well lately!!!
LOL
Joanie

Vintagegal
10-16-2008, 02:52 PM
Cooking it on high for one hour and then turning it down to low should not hurt your dish. Also, like Sherri said, don't ever lift the lid until cooking is altogether finished (for the reason she said. You will need to cook it for longer, if you lift the lid).

Erin K
10-16-2008, 03:27 PM
So what time will it be done? I gotta get shoes on the kids and head over.

TiikkiStars
10-16-2008, 03:42 PM
I'm hoping for it to be done at 5pm (west coast). It smells sooooo good in here!!!! DH is going to be shocked. I think he looked at the crock pot and thought it would either never get used or only used a little and then go to waste....plus where the heck do we store it since our cupboards are pretty full already?! Well, I'm still not sure where to store it, so I have a better solution......just keep using it!!! :>

Did I mention just how good it smells?!?!?! Organic chicken stuffed with a halved lemon and several rosemary sprigs, seasoned with salt, sage, onion and garlic powder on the outside, oh yea, and fresh lemon zest, in the pot with the bird is another halved lemon, a bunch of baby carrots, and a large onion. I poured just a little chicken stock in around the outside with the veggies and closed the lid. And nope, I have not opened it! I just keep standing on my tippy toes to look through the lid!!

Thanks again Tami!

And thanks to everyone else for helping me out with this new contraption and cheering me and our dinners on! :>

logcabincreations
10-16-2008, 03:58 PM
Crockpots are the greatest invention ever...!

teabear
10-16-2008, 04:18 PM
My mouth is watering just reading about it. Can't wait to hear the report. It sounds yummy.

Mrs. Fence
10-16-2008, 05:09 PM
It sounds wonderful! You actually inspired me to use mine yesterday. I made beef stew out of my leftover roast and I think everyone agreed, it was even better as stew!

TiikkiStars
10-16-2008, 09:15 PM
MMMMMMMMMM!!!! That's how is came out! The chicken came out UNBELIEVABLY moist, fell apart completely actually. The carrots absorbed all of the seasoning from the chicken and were fabulous.....so fabulous, that I actually thought they were indeed fabulous....I normally cannot stand cooked carrots, but I loved these. The onions actually had a hint of crunch left to them, which was surprising considering the soft state everything else was in, but it made them really enjoyable. Overall, a hit, I think! And its given me the confidence to try it again and play with the ingredients this time.

I also made brown basmati rice with it and I have to say, it came out better than I've ever made it before! DH can't stand the taste of brown rice, so I'm always playing with it to try to make it taste better for him. This time I cooked it in chicken stock, as I always do (tastes much better than cooking it in water), added salt and ghee (basically clarified butter) and the juice of half a lemon (to tie it to the main course in the crock pot) to it before adding the brown rice. It was really good!

Did I actually mention that this was not only the first time I've cooked chicken in the crock pot, but it was also the first time I've EVER cooked a whole chicken myself!!!! I cook boneless skinless chicken breasts regularly, but I always swore that I would never ever stick my hand in a dead bird! DH cooks our turkey every year (and the whole Thanksgiving meal:>). So this really was a first for me!!

Anyways, I'm excited....I'm sure you can tell! :>:> Thank you again!

stampinmom3
10-17-2008, 06:46 AM
Yeah, You! Good Job! I love my crockpot and use it all the time. I'd be lost with out it. It's the working mom's best friend!!!