PDA

View Full Version : Canola Oil

Patty
10-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Not sure where this belongs--but how many use it? Pls keep in mind the kitchen is not my fav. room. I can do anything with a potato (I"m Irish)--but after that I have questions. Soooo, I ran out of veg oil and wanted to make brownies. I asked some of my cooking friends if they ever used Olive Oil--variety of answers but it led to discussing all the diff kinds of oil. Canola came up and I asked what is a canola. No one knew. I figured if we knew where peanut oil, olive oil, etc came from, what about Canola. Sooo--I googled it,. I don't think I'll ever buy it or use it. I didn't like what I read. Does anyone know about it???:no2:

shuggy
10-19-2008, 01:28 PM
well know i'm curious...off to google it...

cindi
10-19-2008, 01:28 PM
no clue...go ahead & educate us on it.
:)

logcabincreations
10-19-2008, 02:35 PM
I use canola oil most of the time for all cooking/baking except occasional olive oil. But if you tell us what you found out, I could be persuaded to change...lol

pesc
10-19-2008, 02:43 PM
I have to replace all butter and soya oil from my little girl food and the Canola oil is what is most recommand by dietician. The tast is less strong then olive oil. If you do a cake it gonna tast olive oil but with canola it will be better. It's better for health and brain development then most of other kind of oil according to them! I don't know if it helps.

workin4stamps
10-19-2008, 02:49 PM
I have always heard that canola oil is better for you than vegetable oil. I use it in place of vegetable oil all the time. never noticed a difference.

MsQuesMom
10-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Well, I'll stick with my Extra Virgin Olive...Canola comes from the Rape seed, mustard family, highly toxic plant...When made into oil it is processed and refined, but there is always the knowledge of the toxins?

limeyscrapper
10-19-2008, 04:15 PM
I have always heard that canola oil is better for you than vegetable oil. I use it in place of vegetable oil all the time. never noticed a difference.

You are totally correct Traci.
Actually Canola Oil is a vegetable oil.
Vegetable Oil is a generic term and often includes oil from many different plants. IE Corn, Peanuts, Soybean, Safflower, Sunflower, Rape Seed etc.

Canola Oil has been highly recommended by doctors as a replacement for the older vegetable oils that most of us use for cooking.

The idea that it contains toxins is an "urban myth" - just look it up on the Snopes site and you can read all about it.

teabear
10-19-2008, 04:46 PM
Interesting thread. I use canola oil for cooking when I don't want the flavor of olive oil. I sometimes use butter. I don't use any margarine, shortening, or vegetable oil.

loobylou
10-19-2008, 06:40 PM
I use canola oil. Canola plants grow in the fields near my MILs house. they are yellow. It's big business and farmers in Australia grow it

TiikkiStars
10-19-2008, 06:51 PM
I use Canola oil or Safflower oil when I need a high temp, light colored, low flavor oil, for the very occasional frying or for baking.

I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil for almost all of my cooking (outside of rare frying or baking).....sauteeing, stir frying, almost anything.

I use ghee (essentially clarified butter.....all the milk solids and consequently, milk proteins, casein, which my son cannot have, are pulled out) for anything that would traditionally require butter.....eggs, baking, mashed potatoes, toast, etc..

:> Karen

Patty
10-19-2008, 09:13 PM
hmmm--now I"m confused--google said the word canola comes from "canadian oil"--sounded like it was all synthetic--not the same as the other oils---they never mentioned a little yellow plant--but they did talk about the rape seed and it's poisonous nature. I will have to go back there and try to read more.

Jovi
10-19-2008, 10:22 PM
I use Canola oil for cooking. I also use EVO for certain dishes. ;)

stampinmom3
10-20-2008, 06:41 AM
I use canola oil, cause mom always told me it was better than vegetable oil for you! :]

mcourtney
10-20-2008, 01:10 PM
I switched to Canola oil after my DH had his heart attack on the recommendation of the Dr.

Jadyeebugsaunt
10-20-2008, 02:01 PM
Please never use Olive oil for brownies or cakes itt's nasty! I know from exprience!

TiikkiStars
10-20-2008, 02:55 PM
OT: Jovita...EVOO? You must be a Rachael Ray fan! :> It drives DH nuts when I say EVOO, but it is faster! :>

:> Karen

jaykirs
01-16-2009, 08:52 AM
Canola oil is safe and healthy, contrary to the urban myth that it is poisonous or whatever. Check out this link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canola