PDA

View Full Version : Apples: Granny Smith vs Jonathan Apples

Vintagegal
10-21-2008, 08:16 AM
Some of you may have read that my family went to pick apples on Sunday at a farm near our city. We picked some Jonathan apples, which are baking apples (as well as Golden and Red Delicious apples).

Last night, I made a pie with the Jonathans. Usually, I make pie with Granny Smiths.

WOW! There is a noticeable difference between the two. Taste-wise, both are wonderful. But, Jonathan apples definitely soften up, while Granny Smiths tend to stay crisp. Also, Jonathan apples seem to be sweeter than Granny Smiths.

If I had to choose one over the other, I'd take both. I guess it would just depend on whether I'm in the mood for slightly crispy apples or if I want soft apples in my pie. They are both excellent, though.

MidwestStamper
10-21-2008, 08:21 AM
Apples certainly have a variety of flavors, tartness vs. sweetness, and crispness! I usually think of Granny Smiths being good with carmel, since they're more tart. I personally really love HoneyCrisp apples--developed right here in Minnesota! Sweet and crisp!

dreis1
10-21-2008, 08:56 AM
The red delicious are my very favorite. Glinda

ccstampin12
10-21-2008, 09:23 AM
I used to eat only red delicious, but now I like the McCoun (sp), Jonathans, Empire, McIntosh, etc.
This is definitely the time to buy them.
HUGS
Joanie

cindi
10-21-2008, 11:10 AM
thanks for the report, Ethel, good to know
:)

maxiesmom
10-21-2008, 04:39 PM
And I always use MacIntosh for pies. I'll have to try it with the Jonathon's. One of our ladies made a pie for work and I noticed how firm the apples were, I'll have to ask her which kind she used.

emmcee
10-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Sherri and I got some apples today. We each got some Jonagolds, Honeycrisps, and I got some Staymans. So many to choose from. Just for chomping I like Galas, Jonagolds or Fugis. So I hope I like the Honeycrisp. They look good.

Christie
10-21-2008, 04:50 PM
I've never heard of those apples before. I always use Granny Smith in a pie. I love them!!!!

directmailscrapper
10-21-2008, 06:04 PM
Honey Crisps are the BEST!!! Hard to find, short shelf life, but IMO, the best apple I have ever had!