PDA

View Full Version : Emily has decided to volunteer at the humane society.

iloveflipflops
11-02-2008, 06:01 PM
She will volunteer every Saturday from 10-1. We went today to see where it was. Its only 8 miles from here so that's not too far. I hope she likes it. She starts on Saturday.

workin4stamps
11-02-2008, 06:06 PM
well that is very nice!! What made her decide to do that???

Christie
11-02-2008, 06:47 PM
That is terrific!!!!! What will she be doing?

cindi
11-02-2008, 06:49 PM
good for her!!
I hope she doesn't get attached to every animal there and fill your patsure up for you!!
:)

Erin K
11-02-2008, 07:27 PM
I did this for volunteer work when I was in HS. I loved it. It was so interesting and I learned tons about animals, and animal control, and the whole world of adoption and such. But it was also sad. We got crulity cases that broke my heart to pieces. Some of the most horrifying things I ever have seen I saw there. That being said, I met the most amazing people who helped with these things, the workers, the Dr's the Animal Control people are all wonderful.

I hope she has as valuable of an experience as I did. :)

mydogstinks2
11-03-2008, 10:47 AM
I'm so happy for her!! My problen is I would want to take every single one home with me!

shadoob
11-03-2008, 10:59 AM
I hope Emily likes it. My dd did this all through hs and then when she went away to college as well. personally, I used to take my youth groups there, but the smell makes me want to be sick on the spot....There truly is something for everyone to volunteer for...and the humane society is not for me...but I LOVE that others like my dd and Emily can and will do it. Kudos to her!!!

teabear
11-03-2008, 11:07 AM
We did this many years ago. Mostly we fostered dogs who lived with us until they got a new home, but we also worked at the shelter walking the dogs and loving on them. We loved it. The great dane we fostered just passed away last year. Molly was the sweetest giant dog ever who ate my shoes. LOL

iloveflipflops
11-03-2008, 11:46 AM
I have no idea what made her decide to do it - I'm just glad she wants to do something. Its hard around here to find a paying job so maybe this will be a start. I hope she likes it.

Vintagegal
11-03-2008, 01:37 PM
That is awesome, Sherri! I'm sure she'll love it!

prdesigns
11-03-2008, 01:50 PM
The kids and I volunteer every other Saturday. We've only been 'allowed' to clean the cat room. Five puppies got brought in when they were about a month old... it's been about 6 weeks now... OMG!! They are adorable and the kids wanted one sooooo bad... but I said they could get their fill when they were done helping in the cat room ... they both get to sit in the dog kennel and love the puppies. Supposedly, volunteering helps on the ole college application.

iloveflipflops
11-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Yes it does help on the college app plus Emily wants to be on keystone next year (I have no idea what that even is) and they like you to volunteer too before you join so ... its a start. I have already told her we have 2 dogs TOO MANY that she cannot even think about bringing any home! LOL

Erin K
11-03-2008, 02:43 PM
When I was there Animal Control brought in this adorable little fluff ball of an Ewok puppy and I wanted it soooooo bad, to this day I regret not keeping that puppy. It was the most adorable thing ever. I wore an apron to work and I kept it in my apron pocket all day every day. Finally it got adopted by some rich family and I imagine they were gonna carry it around in one of those silly puppy purses, so I'm sure he lived a nice life. :)

iloveflipflops
11-03-2008, 02:49 PM
That's funny Erin how you remember that!!