PDA

View Full Version : Need low-sugar dessert!

GotCats?
11-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Hey gals, I knew this would be the place to get some great answers! Here is the short story: I need a good low-sugar recipe for DESSERT to be used on T-giving! I have tried diabetic recipies before and they tasted kind of rubbery.....I am hoping for something a bit better if any of you are in the know.....

Here is the long version: So my brother goes to the ER with horrible pain. They found gall stones. Hmm, that wasn't the cause of the pain based somehow on bloodwork, MRI, etc. So they looked deeper and found a pancreas infection. Apparently Pancreas infection could be set off by the gall stones, even if the gall stones are not flaring up.

Causes of gall stones are either 1. being a woman, or 2. being "overweight with little or no exercise" according to webMD. Yup--he is #2. Never worked out a day in his life, sleeps all day and watches TV all night and just lives to eat. He looks pregnant with his belly. Rather sad that it took this much to get him to realize after the whole family has ben on him about it for like 20 years. Anyway, parents now say they're coming to MY PLACE to T-giving (yes, he lives with them, so he comes too). Right now sounds like he is scared of all things sugar since sugar levels in his blood were crazy and could have been part of the flare up? So I am trying to accomodate.

Whew. That's the story!
Thanks for any help/resources/actual tried-and-true recipes...

kimmyqtgirl
11-06-2008, 11:37 PM
It's not very "thanksgiving-ish", this one isn't bad, I don't remember what it's called but my mom used to make it for get togethers and I have changed it a bit.

You take an angel food cake (store bought or make your own) and tear it up into small pieces and put in the bottom of serving bowl or caserole dish.
Then you mix up a package of fat free sugar free instant pistachio pudding (how it says on the box but we use 2% milk).
You pour the pudding over the angel food cake.
Then you take a small container of cool whip (we use the lite one) and spread that over the top.
My mom's recipe calls for crushed up heath bars on top, but I omit that to save some calories. It's really yummy - I brought it to work and everyone devoured it! By the way no one could taste the difference in the Sugar Free pudding or lite cool whip.

shadoob
11-07-2008, 09:09 AM
One of our favorites is a simple strawberry pie.
In a plain pie crust put sliced or chunked fresh strawberries that have as little or much powdered sugar tossed in with them as you want (2 TB?). Then top with whipped cream that you make yourself (remember that you can only use NON-ultra-pasteurized whipping cream), I usually only add a tablespoon tops of powdered sugar to the whipping cream.
SO:
Crust -strawberries- whipped cream- maybe 4 T powdered sugar. that's it. good luck

Christie
11-07-2008, 04:03 PM
One box of the sugar free instant chocolate pudding mix
sugar free cool whip
bananas

Mix the pudding as the box says then place layer it in four dessert dishes, next add a layer of cool whip, a layer of bananas, a layer of cool whip and another layer of the pudding. Refrigerate! This is really tasty and sometimes I will add strawberries and bananas!!!!

teabear
11-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Fruit would be a problem, too if it's blood sugar issues. I'd make my regular dessert and a sugar free jello in case he wants that instead.

GotCats?
11-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Wow, thanks, gals! I'll send these to my mom and see if she thinks they'll work. Sounds much better than the diabetic stuff I was looking at!!!!
Thanks!