PDA

View Full Version : Has one of your kids ever said "Mom, I can't wait to get my cell phone for Christmas"

iloveflipflops
12-23-2006, 09:34 AM
and then you have NOT gotten him one?????? Boy, now what? Oh well... Guess he will just have to wait a little longer because Santa is NOT bringing him a cell phone this year....

stampinnutof3
12-23-2006, 09:37 AM
No not yet but mine keep begging for one and has actually lowered herself to carring my old one around to make people think she has one!

mahodgman
12-23-2006, 10:10 AM
Oh no, what did you say?

teabear
12-23-2006, 10:26 AM
I don't get why kids need cell phones.....I know they want them, but why in the world do parents get them for their kids. I could see when they are teens and are out with friends, driving and such....but before that???

scrappammie
12-23-2006, 10:36 AM
My daughter asked for a new LG "cherry chocolate" - I had to go out of state to buy it - they were sold out in WA - and now she keeps asking when Santa is going to give it to her! (Santa's pretty sneaky and had them wait to switch service from her old phone until the 24th! LOL!)
What's worse is all the accessories that needed to go with it for computer & music downloads-- it's always fun (not!) when the gift fits in a small shoe box and costs more than $300! I say, keep him waiting!! pam

lost luggage
12-23-2006, 10:51 AM
My daughter asked for a new LG "cherry chocolate" - I had to go out of state to buy it - they were sold out in WA - and now she keeps asking when Santa is going to give it to her! (Santa's pretty sneaky and had them wait to switch service from her old phone until the 24th! LOL!)
What's worse is all the accessories that needed to go with it for computer & music downloads-- it's always fun (not!) when the gift fits in a small shoe box and costs more than $300! I say, keep him waiting!! pam

I love that chocolate phone! I want the mint one :) But, couldn't you buy it online, Pam? Is her service Verizon? They usually mail them right out. My contract is not up yet. I have to wait until the fall for my new phone credit. :(

suzi_f
12-23-2006, 11:02 AM
If they are not driving, I don't see any point in them having a phone. My 8yo niece was begging her mom for one LAST Christmas. What on earth do they think the need a cell phone for?? Is it just status?? I remember when all you needed to be "in" was Levi's jeans. <sigh> It's no fun getting old.

lost luggage
12-23-2006, 11:06 AM
I remember the big whooop when we were teen ageers was to have your "own line". lol I got hooked up because my dad worked for the phone company, but did not get it until I graduated high school!

scrappammie
12-23-2006, 11:07 AM
hi julie!
I guess I could have gone online - I didn't even think about it! Duh!
I just went to a Verizon store in Oregon because they happened to have them in stock... so I did the road trip and saved on tax! Now, I need to send in the rebate to get $50 back...
pam

maxiesmom
12-23-2006, 12:03 PM
I am totally against young kids getting phones! I just got one and I am 43 years old! And only because my mother didn't want me to not have one! She got a free one on her plan and I think I have 30 minutes! LOL! Every now and then I turn it on just to make sure the battery is still ok.
I guess in some ways I am still old fashioned, this is why we have to dial umpteen numbers to call someone, because everybody and their brother needs a phone!
getting off the soapbox now

Inkyhands
12-23-2006, 03:34 PM
Both the boys wanted cell phones for x-mas and we got them. BUT we got them the TracFones and they were on sale for $15.00, plus we bought minute cards. These are only for emergencies and so on. My boys hardly talk on the regular phone let a lone a cell. It is just so they can take it with them when they are out playing and will be able to call if need be. There are NO pay phones any where in town. Plus they have an alarm clock feature because Robert is always late.
If it weren't a cheap pre-pay my boys wouldn't be getting them either.:nah:

tojoco
12-23-2006, 03:45 PM
April, that sounds like a wonderful gift for younger kids. They will feel extra special with their own cell phone.