PDA

View Full Version : I just have to get this off my chest!

workin4stamps
11-12-2008, 06:39 PM
This is a pet peeve about my husband, and I just need to VENT!

He helps himself to my drinks all the time when we're having dinner or a snack. He does it EVERY NIGHT. It drives me nuts.

We both prepare our own dinner plate, and then we either sit at the table, or in the living room. He NEVER gets himself a drink. Then he just drinks mine whenever he wants. I drink a LOT when I eat. I need my whole drink. I have complained to him about this time and time again....told him to get his own drink before he sits down. It does me no good. He just did it to me AGAIN 2 minutes ago.

He also does this if we're eating popcorn or whatever. I hate it.

There. I feel better. Thanks for listening.

loobylou
11-12-2008, 06:44 PM
I say smack his hand!
or if it really bothers you, a peaceful solution would be to make him a drink when you make yours. I know you shouldn't have to!

tojoco
11-12-2008, 06:48 PM
I say the next time he takes a drink, grab the glass and pour it over his head. hehehehe Then maybe he'll remember in the future to bring his own drink with him.

maxiesmom
11-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Luckily David drinks milk with his meals and I generally have tea so if he's getting his drink, he will usually ask if I have something or if he needs to get me something. Or I get it for him since I usually have a glass of something poured. And he usually watches tv in one room and me the other so, again he generally has his own drink. He, however, has NO problem asking me to get him a drink if I'm up! Sometimes I think he even waits till I do get up so he doesn't have to. Although the dogs are usually sitting on him on his chair so he uses that as his excuse- 'but the dogs are comfortable'.

workin4stamps
11-12-2008, 06:52 PM
I say the next time he takes a drink, grab the glass and pour it over his head. hehehehe Then maybe he'll remember in the future to bring his own drink with him.

oh sure....and who do you think will be left to clean that up then?? LOL

workin4stamps
11-12-2008, 06:54 PM
yes, I also realize I should just get him a drink myself. But that would make me a nice wife. Do I really want to portray that image?? LOL

maxiesmom
11-12-2008, 06:56 PM

Gotta say, this one is memorable and may just break him of his bad habit! :biglaugh:

tojoco
11-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Tom and I usually eat supper at the kitchen table together. I would make both our plates and then bring both our drinks to the table. Then I started thinking (did you smell the wood burning?) Why can't he decide what he wants to drink before he sits down and get it himself. So one day I "accidently forgot" his drink and sat down. He didn't say a word to me but got up, went to the fridge, got his drink, sat back down and that's the way it's been ever since.

allinkdup
11-12-2008, 07:02 PM
LOL!!!! I would think that my hubby would die of a heart attack if I portrayed a good, nice wife, LOL!!!!!

Do what I do, tell him that you have a tickle in your throat and that you might be coming down with a sore throat...he will stay away from your glass if he knows what is good for him.

Far North
11-12-2008, 07:03 PM
Is there a beverage you enjoy that he would not?

Vintagegal
11-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Fix yourself a salty drink. Don't drink out of it. See if he gets the hint when he takes a gulp out of the glass.

tesschap
11-12-2008, 08:17 PM
I can't drink after anyone - and my family and close friend know this. DH grabs my drink from time to time - knowing full well that I won't touch it and he'll get to finish it. I've tried to wean him but he'll eat or drink most anything so nothing phases him. Ugh - men!

iloveflipflops
11-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Ha - I am cracking up at Ethel's idea ... I do think this would "cure" him!! LOL

Good one Ethel!!!!

loobylou
11-12-2008, 08:50 PM
I like Ethel's idea too.

Nancy
11-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Sloppy up the glass or drink from a bottle and sloppy that. Dont put anything on the table and then ask him to get it because you forgot it. - Nancy

cindi
11-12-2008, 09:11 PM
yup, I agree with Ethel..make a vile nasty drink..and when he sputters about how bad it is, just smile sweetly and say, really?? I like it.
ha! thta may be the ticket!
good luck
:)

Christie
11-12-2008, 09:47 PM
Put your drink in a baby bottle and see if he drinks it then!!! LOL!!!!

emmcee
11-12-2008, 09:49 PM
That's a good one Ethel. Give it a try Traci.

Bobby does that junk to Laura too. Drives me up a wall when he does that, but she's not as old as we are yet, so she is still trying to be a good little wife. Well, maybe one of these days, she'll wipe the rose off her glasses and see life in black & white and tell Bobby what I do, "Get off your dead ass & get it yourself"! Tell Brian that, Traci!

mahodgman
11-12-2008, 09:54 PM
That's a good one Ethel. Give it a try Traci.

Bobby does that junk to Laura too. Drives me up a wall when he does that, but she's not as old as we are yet, so she is still trying to be a good little wife. Well, maybe one of these days, she'll wipe the rose off her glasses and see life in black & white and tell Bobby what I do, "Get off your dead ass & get it yourself"! Tell Brian that, Traci!

LOL, Michelle! Isn't that get off your dead ass onto your dying feet and get it yourself? He he

So, Traci, does he do it just to razz you or does he just not get that it bothers you?

workin4stamps
11-12-2008, 09:57 PM
So, Traci, does he do it just to razz you or does he just not get that it bothers you?

umm...probably a little of both. But mostly #1.

CharityHand
11-12-2008, 10:00 PM
My husband drinks all of his and then assumes that since I have nearly a full glass that it is ok for him to grab mine too. It's so annoying. I like to eat first and then drink last.

I say put your drink clear on the other side of you where it would be more work reaching for your drink than it would be just for him to get up and pour his own.

suzi_f
11-13-2008, 06:54 AM
Ah, the joys of being a diet drinker living w/a full on sugar drinker!! But, I don't think dh would do that anyway. He'd be totally creeped out drinking after me. What can I say, he's weird!

maxiesmom
11-13-2008, 07:12 AM
Ok, now if he's just doing this mainly cause he's trying to razz you, then it's war. I say then do Ethel's idea. I tell David do NOT wind me up, I come prewound and do NOT get me started! I also keep my glass on the other side of me, although because it's where I want it and coincidentally away from him. He will always ask first if his is done although generally will just get up and get a refill himself and ask if I need one. Hmm, Brian's gonna need to shape up here or no Sonic for him!

workin4stamps
11-13-2008, 08:17 AM
Ok, now if he's just doing this mainly cause he's trying to razz you, then it's war. I say then do Ethel's idea. I tell David do NOT wind me up, I come prewound and do NOT get me started! I also keep my glass on the other side of me, although because it's where I want it and coincidentally away from him. He will always ask first if his is done although generally will just get up and get a refill himself and ask if I need one. Hmm, Brian's gonna need to shape up here or no Sonic for him!

I do like Ethel's idea. To implement it though would mean that I couldn't drink from it myself, and that would be rough. I usually take a swig after every bite!!

And about Sonic......Brian has determined that he really doesn't like it anyways!! We've been there several times since they opened and well......it's just not that great!!!! So he's not impressed. I can't really hold that one over his head.

Spartymom
11-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Tell him that your drink is full of backwash from yoU! That's gross isn't? I'm the good, nice wife, but I don't get my DH drinks. HE gets his own. But then again, he doesn't drink from my glass. Good Luck Tracy, we are with you!

ccstampin12
11-13-2008, 09:31 AM
I really am laughing here, girls!
I must be "lucky" that the only thing DH does in this department is to take things off my plate in a restaurant.
I have asked him to just wait until I'm ready to give it to him....and his plate is still full anyway.
Another thing is when there's something on his plate that he doesn't want...he can't wait to shove it off onto my plate whether I want it or not! REALLY bugs me!
Wow! I didn't realize how annoying this is until I'm thinking about it!
LOL
Joanie

Nancy
11-13-2008, 10:06 AM
I know people do this, but honestly if anyone child or adult ate anything off my plate, or drank from my glass, or my utensils,I would dump the whole thing on their head once and for all, and believe me it wouldn't bother me one bit. I wouldn't even give them forewarning. This to me is just awful. - Nancy

logcabincreations
11-13-2008, 11:52 AM
keep your glass from his reach....and if he tries to get it, move it and say "get your own"

Darleneh710
11-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Fix yourself a salty drink. Don't drink out of it. See if he gets the hint when he takes a gulp out of the glass.

Great idea, Ethel! That is what I was thinking! I thought put pepper or something in it and let him be the first to drink it to see if he gets the hint lol

stampcrazyjulie
11-13-2008, 11:41 PM
Uh Oh.....I am totally a slacker with very bad habits.

I am the one that drinks from other's glasses.....Especially during meals. I drink 3 times as much. If I look over and my DH's glass is full, then hey I am going to help myself. He only complains if I leave lipstick on the glass or don't refill it for him.

This bad habit was started in High School where everybody shared their drinks amongst Friends. I still share a Big Gulp with my Mom to this day. What's a few germs among Family & Friends anyways, right?!

At least I don't drink out of the Milk and Soda Bottles (EWWWWWW....anymore.....;) )

Julie

Monkey Love
11-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Here is what I would do: after the plates were prepared and we are ready to sit down, that is when I would go get both of us drinks. It is a small kindness to bring him a drink that would only take seconds to do, he wont be drinking yours and he will feel loved and taken care of.
I say pick your battles and this to me seems like a small thing. :)

My hubby leaves dental floss hanging off the shower rod every morning. YUK! I just toss it in the garbage. I tried to get him to stop it but he brushes and flosses in the shower so I just decided it is a small thing and I can get over it and just toss the darn thing!

shadoob
11-15-2008, 11:46 AM
What would happen if you told him that this was a thread on the shack? Do you think he'd GET it?
Sometimes, my husband and I put food on the other persons plate (I love tomatoes, he hates them type thing) as a sign of endearment....sounds weird, I know...but I'd only let him and my kids do that (and my mother, but lord knows she would HATE it)...

I agree with Patty that you have to choose your battles and only you can decide if this one is worth it or not...good luck.

workin4stamps
11-15-2008, 04:22 PM
What would happen if you told him that this was a thread on the shack? Do you think he'd GET it?
Sometimes, my husband and I put food on the other persons plate (I love tomatoes, he hates them type thing) as a sign of endearment....sounds weird, I know...but I'd only let him and my kids do that (and my mother, but lord knows she would HATE it)...

I agree with Patty that you have to choose your battles and only you can decide if this one is worth it or not...good luck.

yeah...I mean really...in reality.........he's not cheating on me, he doesn't hang out at the bars, and he doesn't beat me. So do I really have it that bad????? Probably not!!!!!!

I had to laugh about "what would happen if you told him this whas a thread on the Shack." LOL --- I've purposely NOT kept the Shack up on my laptop when I don't have it in my possession. LOL.

stampinmom3
11-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Well, Julie I guess we're in the same boat. My DH and I share drinks all the time. As a matter of fact some nights we only get one BIG cup at supper and share it. I don't drink after anyone but him though, Oh, well maybe the kids sometimes, yea we share drinks too.

Artyfarty
11-15-2008, 05:36 PM
hee hee at the suggestions....im taking notes here too !! although my hubby does tend to eat my chocolate more than steal my drink xx