PDA

View Full Version : Who likes CARAMEL CORN??

GotCats?
11-17-2008, 07:29 PM
I make LOADS of this stuff each year and hand it out at work. It is a big hit. I thought I would share!!!

2 cups brown sugar
2 sticks butter (or marg--both work but have different tastes--both good!)
1/2 c light corn syrup
1 tsp baking soda
POPCORN--either 3 bags microwave or pop 1 cup of kernels in popcorn popper.

Cook first 3 things in saucepan. Boil and stir for 5 minutes and remove from heat. Stir in baking soda and mix well until fluffy. Pour over popcorn (I use my turkey roaster to hold it all). Mix well. BAKE at 250 for 1 hour--stirring every 15 min.

Stays fresh in airtight container for months! I usually line tins with wax paper and hand them out. YUM!

Enjoy!!!!

HeatherJ
11-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Thank you, that sounds yummy!!!

GotCats?
11-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Whoops--I just re-read my post--
CORRECTION: if you use microwave popcorn you need THREE BAGS!!!!!!!!!

THREE BAGS!!!!!--I just fixed it. but f you read it before I fixed it you might have gotten the wrong info....

Christie
11-17-2008, 08:53 PM
i've never tried homemade before. i do like the kind you buy in the box though!!!

maxiesmom
11-17-2008, 10:29 PM
Mmmm, this sounds great! I'll have to try it, any special kind of microwave corn? Light butter, I'm guessing not movie theater style! Does it even come plain??

cindi
11-17-2008, 10:54 PM
yumm..my Mom has made this ever since I was a little girl..I still love it today. you can add nuts too if you like.
:)

hutchink
11-17-2008, 10:58 PM
It does sounds so yummy! I love caramel corn!

Cindi- I am nuts enough without adding nuts to anything :)

Robinkay
11-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Tricia-wow does that sound good. Thanks! Can't wait to make some.

mom_on_line
11-18-2008, 01:02 AM
Oh, yum! I love caramel popcorn! Thanks for making me crave some right now! LOL!

loobylou
11-18-2008, 04:53 AM
ME! we have a product called "Lolly Gobble Bliss Bombs" which is basically caramel corn and nuts. Our whole family love it.

GotCats?
11-18-2008, 05:58 AM
Mmmm, this sounds great! I'll have to try it, any special kind of microwave corn? Light butter, I'm guessing not movie theater style! Does it even come plain??

If you use microwave corn, try to make it as PLAIN as possible! You get enough flavor/butteryness from the caramel--especially if you use butter.

maxiesmom
11-18-2008, 06:30 AM
ME! we have a product called "Lolly Gobble Bliss Bombs" which is basically caramel corn and nuts. Our whole family love it.
Well isn't that the most fun name ever??

If you use microwave corn, try to make it as PLAIN as possible! You get enough flavor/butteryness from the caramel--especially if you use butter.

That is what I figured! Thanks!

babylamb
11-18-2008, 08:17 PM
This sounds great! I make chocolate popcorn every year, so am going to make up some caramel too! I bought some tins that are 3 tiers so need some idea for the small one on top now!

cindi
11-18-2008, 10:53 PM
This sounds great! I make chocolate popcorn every year, so am going to make up some caramel too! I bought some tins that are 3 tiers so need some idea for the small one on top now!

you culd make some chocolate bark or truffles for your top tin,.
www.kraftfoods.com has some easy and yummy truffle recipes. I made them last year, and my friends LOVED them.
:)

HeatherJ
11-19-2008, 04:22 PM
Hey, lori (babylamb) you could make the pretty coloured popcorn, using Jello powder in a Christmas colour for your top layer. I might still have a recipe kicking around but I bet Google does too.

babylamb
11-19-2008, 07:40 PM
MMmmm will have to check out the truffles, they may not make it to the top tin! Will check out the colored popcorn using jello too, thanks for the suggestions!

GotCats?
11-20-2008, 07:51 AM
MMmmm will have to check out the truffles, they may not make it to the top tin! Will check out the colored popcorn using jello too, thanks for the suggestions!

I also have a recipe ("somewhere") for "vanilla popcorn". I never made it, but the recip;e sounds even easier than the caramel corn. I copied it down and never tried it. If I get the chance I'll dig that one out too.

tesschap
11-20-2008, 09:11 AM
Here's a recipe for my sister's 'Cow Crunch' - it's yummy!

24 cups popped popcorn
3/4 cup Margarine or butter
2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
8 oz. white chocolate or candy coating
4 oz. semi sweet or dark chocolate
Preheat oven to 250. Put popped corn in a greased roasting pan and put in oven to keep warm.
On stove melt butter then stir in brown sugar, syrup and salt. Stirring constantly bring to a boil, and boil 5 minutes w/out stirring. Remove from heat stir in vanilla and baking soda( it will foam). Pour over popcorn stir and bake 1 hr. stirring every 15 min. spread onto wax paper melt chocolates and drizzle over popcorn. Makes about 27 cups of popcorn.

Enjoy!

loobylou
11-20-2008, 09:35 AM
Teresa, my teeth hurt just reading your recipe-but I bet it tastes good.

maxiesmom
11-30-2008, 09:08 AM
Tried this yesterday on project day. The roasting pan is a great idea, I actually used the insert from my large Nesco roaster. We made a double batch, I didn't want to put it all in the one pan so it would stir more easily. But the pan with high sides definitely helps.
My BIL said later that it wasn't sticky like some kinds are. Definitely make sure you pick out any unpopped kernels!! :nod: The littlest niece, with her brother supervising, was in charge of popping the corn and a few times she grabbed it out before it was done popping. HE was then in charge of picking out the unpopped ones and of course took out about 6 and left the rest! Oh well it's his family that will be eating it, I told mom & dad to watch out when eating it!
A keeper, thanks so much Tricia for sharing this with us!