PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Menu

IMBlessed5
11-18-2008, 10:09 AM
If you are making Thanksgiving dinner for your family, what's on your menu? It's at our house this year with both sides of our families (DH's & mine) together. Here's what I have so far:

Turkey (I think I've only baked one turkey in my life! Gonna have to look online for a how-to, LOL! DH has a fryer but not sure if he's willing to get that out of the basement and set it up.)
Mashed potatoes & gravy
Rolls
Noodles
Praline Yams
Green Bean Casserole
some kind of dressing
Pumpkin Pie
Persimmon Pudding

Now, I know some of these things I can make the day before: pumpkin pie, persimmon pudding, rolls, and noodles.

But I have questions:

1. anyone have a good online source for turkey how-to's? Like what size to get for about 15 or so people, etc. I know my MIL puts onions & celery inside it and bakes in a bag. It always turn out really good.

2. If I make the noodles the day before (roll them out, cut, leave out to dry) do I then just store them in a bag on the counter or put them in the fridge?

3. I need a REALLY good (but easy, LOL) recipe for yeast rolls. I'm talking the big soft doughy kind! And would it be ok to make those the day before?

4. How about a home-made dressing recipe? I usually make oyster dressing but not everyone likes that so we'll see.

Any other tips would be appreciated. I'm just trying to get organized, LOL.

Christie
11-18-2008, 10:18 AM
I cook the meal for our family every year. My mom said she has had enough of it and I can do it from now on! LOL! My menu:
Turkey
Dressing
Greenbean Casserole
Mashed Potatoes
Giblet gravey
Deviled Eggs
Yams
Rolls
Apple Pie
Cookies

logcabincreations
11-18-2008, 10:21 AM
Well....we go to my parents house for lunch and my mom does the turkey, dressing, gravy, mashed potatoes and green beans. Everyone else in my family brings something: there are pumpkin pies, cakes and desserts, brocoli casserole, sweet potatoes of some form or fashion, coleslaw, potato salad, devilled eggs, baked beans, homemade bread and whatever else you can think of.

IMBlessed5
11-18-2008, 10:51 AM
Ah yes, deviled eggs would be nice! I'll add that.

Far North
11-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Vicki I think the butterball website is the best for turkey info...here is a calculator (http://www.butterball.com/tips-how-tos/tips/thanksgiving-guide) for how many people -kids and adults...leftovers or not...all totalled for you...as well as thawing times too. Terrific other resources here too including a call line throughout Thanksgiving day.

I have a great deviled egg recipe and a cranberry waldorf salad if anyone is interested.

I use frozen bread dough and make into dinner rolls as described on package.

tojoco
11-18-2008, 11:12 AM
My 84 yo mother and 87 yo aunt are both coming down from N.J. to visit this Thanksgiving so I'm going to make dinner which I haven't done in a very very long time. My dinner includes:

fresh fruit appetizer, turkey, ham, kielbasa & kraut, mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, stuffing, gravy, green beans, carrots, corn, dinner rolls, rye bread, deviled eggs, mac & cheese, pecan tassies, apple pie, pumpkin roll and, of course, chocolate chip cookies for Corey since that is the only "goodie" he'll eat.

Far North
11-18-2008, 11:24 AM
Wow Joanne, nothing like Thanksgiving with out of town family joining the fun! It sounds like you are ready for a huge celebration. Enjoy!

logcabincreations
11-18-2008, 11:24 AM
oh Joanne.... I LOOOVVVEEEE kielbasa and kraut "mixed" with my mashed potatoes. I craved this when I was pregnant with my oldest son.

Jan, I would love your devilled egg & cranberry/waldorf salad recipe. Is the salad recipe similar to Ruby Tuesday's apple salad? If so, I love that too.

tojoco
11-18-2008, 11:26 AM
I just used the "calculator" that Jan posted to see how big a turkey I should get and I can't believe they suggested a 5 lb. turkey for 5 people and to have leftovers. Here I am planning on getting a 20 lb. turkey and I really think I'm sticking with it. You can always freeze cooked turkey.

tojoco
11-18-2008, 11:29 AM
Hey Jan, I really would like that cranberry Waldorf salad recipe myself. I forgot to add cranberry sauce to my menu.

Christie
11-18-2008, 11:31 AM
I think they usually say 1 pound of turkey per quest. That gives enough for leftovers too!!! I always do way bigger though because my family likes to take leftovers home with them!

iloveflipflops
11-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Here is my menu but its just the 4 of us so I won't really go all out :

turkey
mashed potatoes & gravy
cranberry sauce
green beans
corn
stuffing (only DH eats this)
pumpkin pie
rolls

I can't wait!!!

IMBlessed5
11-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Vicki I think the butterball website is the best for turkey info...here is a calculator (http://www.butterball.com/tips-how-tos/tips/thanksgiving-guide) for how many people -kids and adults...leftovers or not...all totalled for you...as well as thawing times too. Terrific other resources here too including a call line throughout Thanksgiving day.

Thanks for the link! Looks like I'm going for a 20 pound bird! I also printed a couple recipes from there.

Ok, for those of you that do frozen dinner rolls - what is the best brand for yeast rolls? I'd much rather buy frozen ones than take the time to make them myself from scratch. But we love that yeasty/doughy center. So what brand do you recommend?

Far North
11-19-2008, 12:25 AM
Fancy Deviled Eggs
6 large eggs- note:older eggs are easier to remove shells
¼ cup garden vegetable cream cheese
3 tablespoons salad dressing or mayonnaise
Salt and ground pepper to taste

Hard boil eggs-place single layer of eggs in saucepan with enough water to cover about 1”. Bring to a boil then remove from heat and cover for 20 minutes. Run under cold water. When cool remove shell.

Cut eggs lengthwise. Remove yolks to a bowl and mash with fork. Add mayo and cream cheese. Beat until very light. Season with salt and pepper.

Use a decorating tube to pipe mixture into the egg whites. There will be plenty to have a large amount above the egg white. Optional-garnish with small pieces of carrot, carrot, cucumber, tomato radish, peppers or shrimp.

Chill at least 30 minutes before serving.

Far North
11-19-2008, 12:32 AM
Cranberry Waldorf Salad

1 1/2 cups chopped fresh cranberries
1 cup chopped red apple
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup seedless green grapes, halved
1/3 cup raisins
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons white sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 (8 ounce) container vanilla low-fat yogurt

DIRECTIONS:
In a medium bowl, combine cranberries, apple, celery, grapes, raisins, walnuts, sugar, cinnamon, and yogurt. (I chop cranberries in a mini food chopper, and it works great). Toss to coat. Cover, and chill 2 hours. Stir just before serving.

tojoco
11-19-2008, 01:12 AM
Cranberry Waldorf Salad

Wow this salad sounds fantastic. Thanks for the recipe, Jan.

loobylou
11-19-2008, 01:46 AM
I'd love to make the cranberry salad at Christmas- Do you have dried cranberries, or fresh?

iloveflipflops
11-19-2008, 05:31 AM
Both recipes sound scrumptious!! Thanks Jan!!

emmcee
11-19-2008, 06:47 AM
I've made Jan's Cranberry Waldorf salad. It is so good. I'll make it again this year.

I'm only baking a turkey, some dressing, the salad, deviled eggs, and a dessert because we are all invited to Bobby's aunt's for dinner. What I'm making is for us to nibble on after we get home. Bobby's grandmother always makes this huge, I'm talking a big cast iron cauldron, pot of Brunswick stew. This is cooked over an open fire.

suzi_f
11-19-2008, 06:56 AM
Turkey, dressing, mashed potatos, gravy, mac & cheese (my dad doesn't eat turkey & the kids aren't fond of it), corn, cranberry sauce (for my parents), rolls. I think that's it.

But, the kicker is, this year, I'm cooking at my mom's. But, since she really doesn't cook, she has no "tools". I'm bringing half my kitchen 250 miles! Oh, it should be soooo fun. I bet my 2pm on Wed, I'll be asking myself why on earth I decided to go to my parents!

Far North
11-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Sarah-we can get fresh cranberries at this time of year and that is what I use in the above recipe. I freeze some for the other times of year.
Any time of year we can get dried cranberries or cranraisins for other types of dishes.

IMBlessed5
11-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Jan those eggs sound YUMMY! I'm definitely trying that recipe!!! Never would have thought to use garden veg cream cheese - I love that stuff on crackers! Thanks!

I wanted to do a couple things in crockpots on Thanksgiving morning, so ease the last minute rush and trying to decide what gets put in the oven and what has to wait. Here's a couple I'm going to try out today (we have our Thanksgiving dinner at church tonight) so I'll know ahead of time if they're any good or not.

Crockpot Sausage and Corn Bread Stuffing (http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/1604/Sausage-And-Corn-Bread-Stuffin87778.shtml)
Crockpot Sweet Potato Casserole (http://www.crock-pot.com/recipedetail.aspx?recipeid=586)

tojoco
11-19-2008, 11:42 AM
Vicki, I love the sound of the sausage and cornbread stuffing. Don't forget to give us your review. I may have to make this if it's worth it.

cecescraps
11-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Jan, Thanks so much for sharing the Waldorf Salad recipe. My mom use to make a "Southern" version of this when I was little and your recipe brought back many happy memories. Now, my mom is like Suzi's and NEVER cooks a complete meal. LOL I'm going to try this version of the salad ~ I hate mayo now and my mom's used Mircle Whip so, the yogurt will be a good change.

teabear
11-19-2008, 01:42 PM
If I start driving now, I think I can be to Joanne's in time for dinner next week. Yummy! I'm going to make Jan's salad for our painting group thanksgiving potluck this week. Everything sounds so good. I haven't even thought much about Thanksgving until reading this thread. LOL

I'm sure we will be going to my parents and helping to cook all the traditional turkey with the trimmings stuff for Thanksgiving. Hubby has to work a 12 hour shift on Thanksgiving day and I am making a dish to send to his work for a potluck. We may go visit and have a snack with him at the station, too.

stampinmom3
11-19-2008, 03:38 PM
My grandfather is coming home from the nursing home for Thanksgiving. I can't wait. He hasn't been home since July 07 when he went there. He is finally well enough to try a visit home. He doesn't care for turkey much. Mom and I were discussing our menu today. I have several pies and pumpkin roll ordered. My dh promised Pap that he would make him shrimp. He loves shrimp and never gets them in the home. But, were were thinking of making pap's favorite meal in addition to the shrimp. He loves pork and sauerkraut. Do you think it would be odd to forego the traditional feast to have this? He is 90 and we all love him so much and I really want to make the day special for him.

IMBlessed5
11-19-2008, 05:59 PM
Kim, I would definitely make Pap's favorite meal! Heck with turkey and trimmings! Cherish the day!

stampinmom3
11-19-2008, 07:16 PM
Yep, it's a go.Talked to dh and he thinks it's a good idea too. So in our house we will be having shrimp, pork and sauerkraut and mashed potatos, mince meat pie, lemon crumb pie, pumpkin pie and pumpkin roll. LOL

loobylou
11-19-2008, 07:30 PM
Sarah-we can get fresh cranberries at this time of year and that is what I use in the above recipe. I freeze some for the other times of year.
Any time of year we can get dried cranberries or cranraisins for other types of dishes.
I have never seen fresh cranberries here, but I think I can make your recipe and substitute craisins for raisins. I'll let you know how I liked it.
Thanks or the recipe.

IMBlessed5
11-19-2008, 08:34 PM
I wanted to do a couple things in crockpots on Thanksgiving morning, so ease the last minute rush and trying to decide what gets put in the oven and what has to wait. Here's a couple I'm going to try out today (we have our Thanksgiving dinner at church tonight) so I'll know ahead of time if they're any good or not.

Crockpot Sausage and Corn Bread Stuffing (http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/1604/Sausage-And-Corn-Bread-Stuffin87778.shtml)
Crockpot Sweet Potato Casserole (http://www.crock-pot.com/recipedetail.aspx?recipeid=586)

OMG both of these recipes are da bomb!!! Just got back from our church dinner where I took both dishes and YUM! I had seconds of both! Neither of them were completely gone as there were a few dressings and several different sweet potato dishes, but I will definitely be making these again on Thanksgiving day for our families!

A couple notes - on the Sweet Potato Casserole, I didn't have orange juice on hand and since it was only 1 tablespoon, I used apple juice. Couldn't tell any different. Very rich but oh so good!

On the Sausage Cornbread Stuffing - I couldn't find a 16 oz package of cornbread stuffing mix at Walmart so I got three 6 oz boxes of it which of course makes 18 oz but it was fine. I did have to put mine in a big crockpot (5 or 6 quarts, can't remember which) since my smaller one was taken with the other recipe, and it was done in just 3 hours on low so I changed it to "keep warm". My large crockpot is much hotter than the smaller one! This turned out really good - love the taste!

Just thought I'd give my reviews! :D

cindi
11-19-2008, 09:18 PM
Jan those eggs sound YUMMY! I'm definitely trying that recipe!!! Never would have thought to use garden veg cream cheese - I love that stuff on crackers! Thanks!

we always make our mashed potatoes early, then put them in the crock pot on low..they stay nice and hot that way, and are waiting for us. you can even do them the day before and place in crock pot in the morning to reheat. I hope this helps
:)

IMBlessed5
11-20-2008, 08:23 AM
OMG I would have never thought of this either! THANK YOU, LOL!

DUH!