PDA

View Full Version : Advice: ceramic flat irons for hair?

directmailscrapper
11-25-2008, 09:37 PM
Emily got accosted at the Mall recently at a kiosk where they style your hair (whether you want them to or not!). She was with a friend and I wasn't around to "rescue" her! Well, her hair looked FABULOUS when they were done. Her hair never curls well with a curling iron -- these curls stayed in for 2 days (until she washed her hair).

The irons at the kiosk were like $250 -- BUT IF YOU BUY ONE TODAY you can have it for $150!!!!! :arghh:I checked online -- and I think I can buy pretty much any flat iron for quite a bit less. But I don't know the brand name from the mall and I don't know which one to buy! (I may sneak back to the mall to see if I can figure out which brand they sell)

She has straight hair, thick, gorgeous! Any suggestions? This is one Christmas present I think I'm going to regret. It already takes her at least 30 minutes to "fix" her hair in the morning -- and all she has to do is brush it....:goofy:

shadoob
11-25-2008, 09:43 PM
Cindy will probably give us her expert advice (which I'd like to hear) but...my dd got a CHI (sp?) ceramic hair things one year for Christmas from me (she picked it out though). I bought it at our salon for $150.00 --on sale from $200. It actually saved her time and it saved her hair because it worked so much better /faster. She still has it after several years and still loves it.

cindi
11-25-2008, 10:05 PM
Cheryl is right.
Chi flatirons are the best, hands down. always buy your chi from a salon, they are not the real deal with a warrenty if you buy from anyplace else. the Chi flat irons are amazing and so well. Alos as I mentioned in Shirley Jeans post, get the chi Iron guard to use with it. the flat irons get very hot. hotter than a curling iron, and it's wise to protect the hair. At Capello where I work, Patty lets people put them on layaway if they want. if you do buy a chi keep the receipt, if something goes wrong with it, the company will back them up. our girls at work keep them plugged in and on 10 hours a day and they last and last, so imagine in a non professional setting how long one will last, plus nothing makes your hair feel like a chi iron will.
you all know how curly my hair is..take a look at what a chi iron does for my hair
:)

directmailscrapper
11-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Cindi, thank you for the advice! Is there one you recommend for CURLING hair?

cindi
11-25-2008, 10:33 PM
you can curl with teh falt iron too. it's a slightly different wave pattern, Also I believe Chi makes a curling also. At work we sell the babyliss irons and people seem to love them , so thats an option
:)

Vintagegal
11-26-2008, 06:36 AM
I agree with the Chi Flat Iron, It can flatten and curl (imagine pulling scissors quickly across ribbon to make it curl).

Also, make sure you buy a 'thermal' product that will keep the hair from getting damaged when you use the flat iron. There's a product by Aquage that's pretty good for keeping the hair from being damaged as you 'iron' it.

tesschap
11-26-2008, 06:46 AM
If you are going to buy a Chi research the model you want and then check Overstock.com. Drew bought Katie one for Christmas last year and it was $80.00 on Overstock plus I searched for online coupons and got free shipping.

suzi_f
11-26-2008, 07:50 AM
I just got the Target ad for Fri (http://weeklyad.target.com/target/default.aspx?action=entryflash&ref=sc_iw_l_0_4), Chi flat iron for $99. Don't know anything about them. Becca bought one last year & was afraid to turn it on for fear of burning herself.

shurlyjean
11-26-2008, 07:59 AM
Hey now... I was gullible and got the ceramic flat iron from the mall yesterday... I was looking for a flat iron and it was in the price range I knew about (with the discount)... see my other post where the web-site is highlighted, it gives techniques on how to use the flat iron.

I guess this one heats at a lower temperature.... So hopefully my money isn't wasted.

The gal that got me was from Israel, she looked a lot like the one lady on NCSI. Very forthcoming. I could never do that.

I told my hubby last night that he got me an early Christmas present. He just laughed and said it wouldn't be the first time.

BTW... I styled my new hair cut this morning with my new flat iron... takes a little practice, but I did it!

Shirley

Christie
11-26-2008, 09:58 AM
I have used a Chi for three years and I love it. It is soooo worth the money!!!!! If mine ever breaks I will buy another.