PDA

View Full Version : ? for those of you with external hard drives ...

tesschap
11-29-2008, 08:36 AM
What kind do you have? I just saw this one (http://freeagent.seagate.com/en-us/hard-drive/portable-hard-drive/Free-Agent.html#)advertised and am wondering if it is a good one or if you have any other recommendations. I have one on my Christmas wish list.

suzi_f
11-29-2008, 09:16 AM
I have a Western Digital. The first one I had I LOVED. So, when it came time to get another one, I bought a (bigger) WD. Well, apparently, WD & Vista have issues. I think I've downloaded all the fixes & it seems to work ok.

I like the look of the one you're looking at. It's pretty! Mine's dull & boring. LOL

shadoob
11-29-2008, 09:58 AM
I have a simple tech that works very well....when I remember to do the back up. The one you linked looks pretty amazing.
My questions would be:
1) Does it always stay hooked to the computer in it's docking station (ie:says it backs up on it's own) and if so- how is it affected by power surges and such? (wireless?) Also- The docking station is sold separately, so (not knowing the cost) you'd have to either pay for the docking station or still remember to do the back ups.
2) If there are no cables and you can access your information easily, how easy it is to transfer back to the computer? (as opposed to accessing it on the docking station)
3) Is my brain awake enough to be making sense?
good luck!

ccstampin12
11-29-2008, 11:04 AM
I have a Seagate free agent.
I have no idea how to use it so it just sits here.
Haven't backed it up in ages.
You mean the one you're looking at backs up automatically? Maybe I need one of those!
I keep mine unplugged so powersurges can't damage it.
Joanie

tojoco
11-29-2008, 11:07 AM
I also have a Western Digital and have not had any problems with it whatsoever. Here's a pix (http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=517)of it. The only reason I would get a different one is for color although mine is a nice sleek silver and black. The color one was not on sale when I bought it.

directmailscrapper
11-29-2008, 11:33 AM
From DH: New product -- sexy advertising -- no real reliability history. Seagate technology is pretty good.

tojoco
11-29-2008, 01:38 PM
From DH: New product -- sexy advertising -- no real reliability history. Seagate technology is pretty good.

Hi Nancy,

I guess I'm brain dead!!! LOL I don't understand your post.

directmailscrapper
11-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Sorry Joanne! I was typing as my husband was talking. He is a professional techie.

He thought the advertising was very appealing -- but this is a new product with no real reliability history. The company that makes it has a good reputation.

That's his 2 cents...