PDA

View Full Version : Not sure how I feel about this, but.....

Patty
12-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Last Thursday afternoon I was told that as of Jan 2 I would no longer have a job. Not sure how I feel about this, but I'm leaning towards "YIPEE". I have been at this job for almost 27 years--will be 27 in March 09. I can't say I'm shocked. There have been a lot of rumors--but it's my turn this time.

That said, I have been DYING to retire. I was even wondering how I would know it was the right time to say it's time. So, they made the decision for me. I'm 4 years away from Medicare, so med. ins is a concern for me. Of course I'll miss my paycheck. However, that's all I will miss. The stress is always through the roof. Holidays and quarter-ends are worse. I've worked since I was 16 and never had a time when I didn't have at least one job. I'M TIRED! I have 5 close friends from work and we've been together all this time--I will still see them -- I have no doubt about that. It just feels WIERD. Thank God I already have a "decent" supply of stamps, ink and paper. But, more importantly, Thank God for the Shack and the Shackies!!:confused:

Mrs. Fence
12-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Change is always scary, even when it's what we think we want. I'll pray this works out well for you. I'm glad you seem to have a good handle on it, and I'm glad you are a shackie too! Maybe now you'll have more time for things you enjoy.

directmailscrapper
12-07-2008, 09:10 PM
Patty, I am happy for you. Sometimes it's tough to know when it is enough! Now you will have more time for family and friends and YOU!

teabear
12-07-2008, 09:13 PM
It sounds like you will be able to retire, to that's better than just out of a job. In a few months you won't know how you ever had time to work. LOL

cindi
12-07-2008, 09:16 PM
Tami is right! my retired parents are more busy than when they worked! and if you really want sokme extra stampin money you can always find something fun & part time..very part time.
so glad you are a shackie too
:)

Nancy
12-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Cant you collect unemployment for a while. And go for Social Security, Medicare kicks in later. Good luck and now you will have all the time to do the things you always said you would do, when you retire. -- I better get to the first thing on my list, lets see its been 10 years now!- Anyway Good Luck to your new life. - Nancy

iloveflipflops
12-07-2008, 09:20 PM
wow patty. Sounds like this is working out like u wanted. When is your trip down to NC????

spredbirds
12-07-2008, 09:29 PM
Patty- Sorry to hear this .... but sounds like you might be ok ... hopefully they can offer you a severence package or something and maybe some sort of health insurance?

Firecracker
12-07-2008, 09:34 PM
I think it is time for you to retire. It sounds like it from your comments. I can't wait to see all the wonderful projects you will be making. Hugs, Heather

GrammaStamper
12-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Patty, I hope it all works out well for you. Being 'retired' can often keep us busier than working outside the home, but it's a lot less stressful for sure.

shuggy
12-07-2008, 10:36 PM
i hope it works out for you patty. seems to be the theme this week/month.

cindi
12-07-2008, 10:46 PM
I was just thinking Patty..if you are losing your job due to downsizing so your company can compete..you may be elligable for some $$ for schooling, and while you are in school ypu will get paid unemployment wages aND maybe insurance too. this happened to my df, and he went to school for a year.
it's something you can look into..maybe you might enjoy some classes. I think the name of the funds was TRA..not sure whta that stands for, but df used it.
:)

maxiesmom
12-07-2008, 11:03 PM
Well you sure have the right attitude about it. The insurance is the scary part, hopefully you can find a good plan to tide you over that isn't through the roof $$. I can't wait till I can retire.

Paula Carden
12-08-2008, 07:13 AM
Will they continue your health ins- some States now have some insurance for displaced workers. COBRA is only 18 months and expensive.
Sometimes difficult decisions are made for us. I don't know how I would feel either but like you I would be happy to be home but miss the check. I have about 4 more years before I can retire with full benefits but then I will have about 8 or 9 to go before Medicare however I will have my Medical coverage.
Good Luck and hopefully we will be seeing more of you here now.

allinkdup
12-08-2008, 07:35 AM
bummer that you hear this right before the holidays but you sound like you are a little more happy than sad about it.

shadoob
12-08-2008, 10:08 AM
...well at least you have a good supply of stamps and crafty stuff....you sure have a good attitude about it! Good luck and I hope you enjoy it!!

ellie
12-08-2008, 10:20 AM
I am HAPPY for you! I know taking care of ins. is a concern but compared to the stress of that job...it will be a piece of cake! Now you will finally have time to do all the things you have been looking forward to

cecescraps
12-08-2008, 10:40 AM
I will be praying that this all works out even better than you can imagine right now. Change is scary but, you sound like you have a wonderful outlook right now and I'm sure you'll check into all the programs and services available. You'll be looking around in a year thinking~ how did I ever work?? :)

midnitecreations
12-08-2008, 11:58 AM
I've to agree with the others. Change is scary, but it really is wonderful too. With your outlook, I have no doubt yours will be wonderful! When I worked, I always felt stressed out with work commitments, being a parent, a wife and, everything else we take on. Now, that I'm home all the time (I left because of I wanted to be a stay home mom), I really wonder how I juggled all that stuff. Now I still have no time, but a lot less stress! lol

Tantalize
12-08-2008, 02:39 PM
We'll always be here for you! Hugs and I know it will all work out.

Patty
12-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Thank you, Cindi--I'll definitely look into that.

Patty
12-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Thank you all for your support and kind words. I am finding that my attitude is positive (no one is more surprised than I am). I feel like a great weight has been lifted from me. I will receive a "package" and can collect unem at the same time. I'm going to try to just live on the unemp. and save the other---see how far that goes. I'm excited about being home in the Winter and not have to go out to work no matter what the weather--if things are too tight I will look for another job--but hopefully part time with not a lot of responsibility. I am sooo tired of being the responsible one. So, here goes, . . .wish me luck!!