PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Christmas cookie??

kimmyqtgirl
12-11-2008, 10:33 AM
I am getting my cookies done this weekend, but thought I would see if anyone had any fabulous recipes to share. So whats your favorite cookie recipe?

I usually make whatever DH requests and go from there. This year he wants oatmeal raisin - I have never made those, and chocolate chip. I always make Snickerdoodles. So any suggestions. Does anyone have a special oatmeal raisin recipe??

Thanks

ccstampin12
12-11-2008, 10:45 AM
This year Lesa led me to a NEW way to make cookies.....it's called premade cookie dough! At BJ's there is an oatmeal/cranberry cookie dough right now....it's only available this time of year. RUN to BJ's and get some of this!
I have taken these cookies to many gatherings this season and have received high praise...I do make vanilla frosting to put on these, and that just MAKES them!
NO ONE believed me when I told them it's premade cookie dough!

BUT, my all time favorites are sugar cookies with vanilla frosting.
I should never eat any cookies...if I start, I don't like to stop!
LOL
Joanie

mom_on_line
12-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Joe-Joe's oreo mints from Trader Joe's!

I haven't had time to do any baking, so these work for me! LOL!

kimmyqtgirl
12-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Ok I don't know what BJ's is? Do I have them around me? That would make one batch really easy:)

ccstampin12
12-11-2008, 10:58 AM
I don't know where BJ's has stores...it's a Costco type of place....you have to join.
I know BJ's is here in the Northeast, but not sure where else they are. You could check their website and look at their locations to see if there's one near you.
Joanie

My3Ds
12-11-2008, 11:10 AM
We make sugar cookies with my mom. My ds loves the peanut butter w/kisses. Maybe some chocolate chip, but nothing super special. BJ's is like Sam's Club too.

cindi
12-11-2008, 11:18 AM
my fave Christmas cookies are Spritz. My mom still makes them every year for me. you can have the kids help decorate them with colored sugar, sprinkles, whatever. I also like to add 1 tsp of almond extract to these.

INGREDIENTS

* 1 pound butter (no substitutes)
* 1 cup sugar
* 2 eggs
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking powder

DIRECTIONS

1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, and vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Shape with a cookie press. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 325 degrees F for 12-15 minutes or until light brown.

Sherry
12-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Funny you should ask about cookies - I'm just about to bake two different kinds. I've got all of my ingredients on the counter coming to room temperature.

My absolute favorite cookie is one of the easiest to make and my kids request this one quite often.

Whipped Shortbread

1 cup butter, softened (do not use margarine)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch

Cream butter and sugar in a medium bowl. Beat until light and fluffy. Add flour and cornstarch gradually while beating continuously. Beat until light. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 12-14 minutes.

The other recipe I am making is called 'Eggnog Thumbprints'. I haven't tried it before and it sounds yummy. Here is the recipe.

Eggnog Thumbprints

2/3 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup finely chopped walnuts (I used pecans - they're less bitter)

FILLING:
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 teaspoon rum extract
1 to 2 teaspoons milk
1 to 2 drops yellow food coloring, optional

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Stir in flour, salt and nutmeg; mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm. In a small bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy. Shape dough into 1-in. balls; dip in egg whites, then roll in walnuts. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Using a wooden spoon handle, make a 1/2-in. indentation in the center of each ball. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until center is set. Carefully remove from pans to wire racks to cool. For filling, combine the butter, confectioners' sugar, extract and enough milk to achieve a spreading consistency. Tint with food coloring if desired. Pipe about 1/2 teaspoon into each cookie. Yield: 4 dozen.

kimmyqtgirl
12-11-2008, 11:52 AM
These are some yummy sounding cookies! Keep them coming girls!

jazzypurple853
12-11-2008, 12:54 PM
I have a few recipes:

http://www.landolakes.com/mealIdeas/ViewRecipe.cfm?RecipeID=10088B

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/thumbprint-cookies-75590.aspx

The recipe calls for pecans, I don't put any kind of nut in the recipe.
I've also substituted raspberry preserves, for strawberry preserves, and hershey kisses.

Here's another link:

http://www.favoritebrandrecipes.com/Recipes/050/4226001050.htm

The recipe calls for nuts, I don't use any nuts in this recipe

craft a latte
12-11-2008, 01:01 PM
Russian Tea Cakes also known as Mexican Wedding Cakes.
I use walnuts and roll them into balls. I'm making some today to take to my ds's school musical.

jazzypurple853
12-11-2008, 01:06 PM
Here's another recipe: Toffee Almond Sandies

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 teaspoon almond extract
4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 cups sliced almonds
1 package (6 ounces) English toffee bits

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add oil, eggs and extract; mix well. Combine flours, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in almonds and toffee bits.
Shape into 1-in. balls; roll in sugar. Place on ungreased baking sheets and flatten with a fork. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: about 12 dozen

This makes a ton of cookies. I don't roll them in sugar. I just use a rounded tsp to put on the cookie sheet. You will need 2 bowls to make these cookies. One bowl, for when you have the wet and dry ingredients. Then I take the cookie mixture and put it in a bigger bowl to add the the almonds and toffee bits.

I buy one package of sliced almonds, which may not be the 2 cups as the recipe calls for, but to me it's just the right amount.

The Toffee Bits that I get is Heath Bit's o Brickle - It's an 8 ounce package. I use the whole package.

These cookies are a big hit with my family. This recipe makes tons of cookies.

jazzypurple853
12-11-2008, 01:09 PM
Here's another recipe: Almond Crunch Cookies
It's from the Mrs. Fields Cookie Book

Title: Mrs Fields Almond Crunch Cookies
Categories: Cookies
Yield: 18 servings

1/2 c Butter; softened
3/4 c Sugar
1 lg Egg
1/2 ts Almond extract
1/4 c Almonds (1 0z) ground in a
Blender or food processor
1 c Almonds; sliced (4 oz)
1 c Flour
1/4 c Heavy cream
1 c Semisweet chocolate chips
2 ts Lt corn syrup

Preheat oven to 300. In a medium bowl blend butter and sugar with an
electric mixer until mixture forms a grainy paste. Scrape down sides of
bowl, then add egg and almond extract. Beat at medium speed until light and
fluffy. Add the ground almonds and flour, and blend at low speed just until
combined. Form dough into 1 1/2 in balls and roll in sliced almonds,
coating each ball thoroughly. Place balls on ungreased cookie sheets, 2 in
apart.
Bake for 15-18 minutes or until cookies are slightly brown along edges.
Immediately transfer cookies to a cool surface cover with waxed paper.

TO MAKE CHOCOLATE GLAZE; Scald cream in a small saucepan then remove
from heat. Stir in chocolate chips and corn syrup; cover and let stand for
15 minutes. With small wire whisk or wooden spoon, gently mix glaze until
smooth, being careful not to create bubbles in the chocolate. When cookies
are completely cool, drizzle patterns on them with the warm chocolate
glaze, or dip half of each cookies into the glaze. Refrigerate the cookies
on waxed paper until the glaze has set--about 10 minutes.

When I made these cookies, I have never added the chocolate mixture on top of the cookies.

workin4stamps
12-11-2008, 01:34 PM
This is one of my favorite cookies. The recipe is on the back of mini m&m bags (in the baking section) a lot of times:

JUMBLES

½ C butter or marg, softened
½ c sugar
¼ c firmly packed lt brown sugar
1 large egg
1 ¼ c flour
½ t baking soda
1 12 oz package m&m mini baking bits (semi sweet or milk chocolate..personally I prefer milk choc)
1 c raisins
1 c chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350. Beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add egg. Combine flour and soda; blend into creamed mixture. Stir in baking bits, raisins and nuts. Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto greased cookie sheets. Bake 13-15 minutes. Cool a few minutes on sheet before transferring to wire rack.

I also have a good Oatmeal Raisin recipe. I will post it in a bit.....

loobylou
12-11-2008, 05:34 PM
I make ANZACs with my kindergarten kids this week, and we blobbed the dough in snowman shapes on the tray. I knew the dough would not hold it's shape(but I didn't tell them)- I was right, they spread out to huge "puddles". It was a great lesson for my Aussie kids who don't see snow ever, that when snowmen get hot, they melt into a puddle. We drizzled white icing and coconut ontop of our ANZAC snow puddles. Traditionally ANZAC buiscits don't have any frosting. They are the yummiest oatmeal cookies ever.

ANZAC BISCUITS/COOKIES (http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/Anzac-Biscuits-L79.html)

IMBlessed5
12-11-2008, 05:53 PM
The ladies of our church just did a "cookie exchange" last weekend. Some had fudge as well. But I was in charge of making the recipe book so I've attached a copy of it. There were SEVERAL ladies who came and brought cookies, but hadn't submitted a recipe to me ahead of time. So they didn't get in the cookbook. But on the other hand, I had some ladies (including myself) that submitted more than one recipe to help fill the booklet.

Enjoy! :D

maxiesmom
12-11-2008, 08:27 PM
My mom just emailed me that she tried a Saltine Toffee cookie today was was so good and very easy. I will look up recipe and give it to you Friday. She said who knew crackers could taste so good!

maxiesmom
12-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Saltine Toffee cookie from www.recipezaar.com posted originally by Miss Erin

Ingredients
1 (16 ounce) box saltine crackers, you won't need the whole box
1 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup finely chopped pecans

Directions
1- Heat oven to 350°F.
2- Line a cookie sheet with foil.
3- Arrange crackers snugly in a single layer, filling the sheet completely, about 40 crackers.
4- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat.
5-Add the brown sugar and mix well.
6-Pour the butter mixture evenly over crackers, spreading as necessary.
7- Bake 8-10 minutes, or until the butter is bubbly.
8- Remove the sheet from the oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the crackers.
9- When the chips have softened, spread them over the crackers with a knife.
10- Sprinkle immediately with the nuts.
11- Let the cookies cool 5-10 minutes before cutting between the individual cookies with a spatula.
12- Remove them to a plate, keeping them in a single layer.
13- If you don't remove them while they are still warm, they will stick to the foil.

workin4stamps
12-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Here is my Oatmeal Raisin Cookie recipe. This is from an old boyfriend of mine. He was an excellent cook. This recipe might be the best thing I got out of that relationship! LOL

Oatmeal Cookies

3/4 c shortening (I like butter flavored)
1 c brown sugar
1/2 c sugar
1 egg
1/4 c water
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
1 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
3 c quick oats
1 c raisins (I'm guessing on this...I just throw them in till it looks good)

Place shortening, sugars, eggs, water, and vanilla in mixing bowl. Beat thoroughly. Sift together flour, salt & soda. Add to shortening mixture, mixing well. Blend in oats and raisins. Drop a small spoonful onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 12 to 15 minutes. Makes 48 small cookies.

workin4stamps
12-11-2008, 09:31 PM
My Mom used to make these when I was growing up. I still like to make them. If you like Lemon Meringue Pie, you'll like these!

Lemon Bars

2 C Flour
1 C Butter
1/2 C Powdered Sugar

4 eggs
2 C Sugar
6 Tbsp Lemon Juice (I use the stuff in the bottle)
1 tsp salt
4 Tbsp Flour
1 tsp baking powder

To make the crust, cream the flour, butter and powdered sugar. Spread into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Bake 20 minutes at 350. Mix all remaining ingredients. Pour onto crust. Bake for an additional 25 minutes. Let cool a few minutes and then sprinkle with powdered sugar.

iloveflipflops
12-12-2008, 05:34 AM
Rich Butter Wafers

1 cup butter, room temp
1 cup sugar
1 egg, room temp
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups Soft as Silk flour (by Betty Crocker)
1/4 tsp salt

Cream butter and sugar together. Add egg and vanilla. Add flour and salt, mix well. Grease cookie sheet. Drop by teaspoons and add sprinkles to each. Bake at 375 10 minutes

iloveflipflops
12-12-2008, 05:36 AM
Pecan Crescents

1/2 cup butter
2 Tablespoon sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup pecans, chopped fine
7/8 cup flour
Powdered sugar

Beat butter and sugar till creamy. Add vanilla, beat well. In separate bowl, mix pecans and flour. Stir that into wet mixture.
Roll in 1" balls onto greased cookie sheet. Bake at 300 for 30 minutes.
While still warm, sprinkle in powdered sugar till all white.

makes 25

jazzypurple853
12-12-2008, 09:03 AM
All these recipes, sound yummy!

kimmyqtgirl
12-12-2008, 11:41 AM
These all sound so good! I think I am having an even harder time deciding:) ha ha ha... I guess I'll have to make a bunch! THanks everyone...

mjbonoan
12-13-2008, 03:09 AM
My favorite Christmas cookies are Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies... I think that's what they are called.

tesschap
12-13-2008, 06:12 AM
Here's a yummy and easy - no bake - cookie. I first discovered these for a holiday cookie swap and was a little skeptical about making them but they are so yummy and every year they win a prize. The husband of one of my girl friends refers to them as 'Mother Teresa's' whenever he wants her to make them!

Ingredients:

Peanut Butter

Ritz Crackers

12 oz. bag of semi sweet chocolate chips

4 oz. White chocolate (either chips or the Wilton candy making circles)

Cooking Paraffin

Put peanut butter between two ritz cracks (like you are making a sandwich). Dip in melted chocolate and place on wax paper until chocolate has cooled.

Melted chocolate - Melt 1 bag of chocolate chips (I prefer dark chocolate) in microwave with 1 square of paraffin wax. I melt mine in 30 second intervals, stirring until completely melted. Be careful not to over melt or chocolate will burn.

White chocolate - I melt 4 oz. of white chocolate with 1/2 of a paraffin bar. Once melted I drizzle on the top of the cookies. You can add food coloring to make red and green decorations as well.

These cookies taste just like the chocolate covered peanut butter Girl Scout cookies.

The first year Evan was teaching his school had an 'all male bake-off' fundraiser. He entered and he made a large brownie and used 10x sugar and a checker board template to make the top of the brownie look like a checkerboard. He made two batches of these cookies - one with dark chocolate and one with the red candy making circles. He placed the cookies on the brownie like a checker board and won first place, best tasting, and best in show! He had a basket of the small ritz crackers and cheese that he dipped in chocolate as samples.

I also make these using a can of white frosting instead of peanut butter. I add peppermint extract to the frosting and they taste like the Girl Scout peppermint pattie cookies!

irishchristine
12-14-2008, 07:44 AM
I love the cookies that you make with saltines.
oven 350
line large cookies sheet with tin foil
place salties on sheet touching
melt 2 sticks of butter with 2 cups of brown sugar
pour on saltines
put in oven for 5 min
take out and add a bag of choc chips
put in oven for 30 seconds
take out and spread with spatula evenly
add choped nuts and place in the fridge
break apart like peanut brittle

They are so yummy and child friendly