PDA

View Full Version : Prayers needed for my school please

scraphappy908
12-15-2008, 04:46 PM
As many of you know I work in a middle school. Over the weekend, an eighth grade student tragically took his life. His name was Dustin and he was only 13 years old. He was an excellent student, well liked, and and exceptional athlete on the wrestling and football teams.
His parents are completely devistated as well as our school community. Grief counselors have been present in the school all day to aid students and staff. There is no way to understand what this young man may have been going through or to reason why he chose to do such a thing. It has been an extremely difficult day and with the Holidays upon us it makes it even harder.
Please keep this family and our school community in your prayers. On a personal level, I knew this young man and never had a clue that he was ever troubled enough to consider such a tragic thing as this. I've only just allowed myself time to cry now that I am home. I wanted to be strong for the other students. Thank goodness this is the last week before Christmas break.
Amy

UPDATE
The visitation at the funeral home last night was a very emotional one. When I got there, I had to park almost two full blocks away since the parking lot was full. Dustin's parents were so overwhelmed by the number of people paying their respects. Hi mom looked like she hadn't slept in days. My heart just ached for her. I stayed about a half hour then went home and hugged my kids the rest of the night.

Today was the funeral. Some of the other middle schools in our district sent over teachers to cover for those who wanted to go. (I chose not to.) There were over 100 students who also went to the funeral. It just seems so sureal to us. Councelors will continue to be at the school until the end of the week. Christmas break can't come soon enough.

We are having a very quiet Christmas this year in the Spaulding household. My 15 yo dd is having all four wisdom teeth pulled on the 22nd. and my 11 yo ds is having five stubborn little baby teeth pulled on the 30th. Looks like puree'd dinners for awhile! Despite all that I am looking forward to laying around the house for two weeks.

Thank you everyone for your prayers and cyber hugs. The mean so very much to me. Bless you!
Amy

cecescraps
12-15-2008, 04:50 PM
Oh, Amy this just breaks my heart. How very sad for his family, friends and all who knew him. My thoughts and many prayers for his family, friends and your school.

Christie
12-15-2008, 04:55 PM
That is really sad news. I can only imagine how difficult it must be on his parents. It's good they are bringing in extra help for the students, they will for sure need it. I remember in high school one of my friends shot himself and it was really hard on everyone.

iloveflipflops
12-15-2008, 05:11 PM
Oh how tragic that is!! And so young. I can't even imagine what the parents are going through right now.

loobylou
12-15-2008, 05:22 PM
You are all in my thoughts and prayers. I've experienced the same thing with one of my son's young friends. It's such a tragedy. The family never stop asking what they could have done.

shadoob
12-15-2008, 05:29 PM
Oh, how sad. Suicide is so incredilby difficult to grasp...the loss of a young person makes it even more difficult. I am sorry you are all having to deal with this...especially his family.

HeatherJ
12-15-2008, 06:01 PM
How very sad and tragic. All of you are in my prayers.

jazzypurple853
12-15-2008, 06:40 PM
You are all in my prayers.

lakeslady
12-15-2008, 06:58 PM
How sad for all of you. Thoughts and prayers for everyone heading your way

cindi
12-15-2008, 07:07 PM
oh Amy, this is so sad! just awful. I will certainly send up prayers. I'm sorry for this loss to your school and cummunity.

Paula Carden
12-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Thinking of you and this family! Such a terrible tragedy for all.

toao
12-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Oh my goodness. I hate it when this happens. I will definitely send up a prayer for you, the school, the students and his family. What a tragedy. We also lost a student this week, but he died of Lukemia. We had his funeral at our church and it was overflowing. Prayers to you all.

Tantalize
12-15-2008, 09:03 PM
Such a tragedy... I will keep your entire school in my thoughts.

teabear
12-15-2008, 09:38 PM
I'm sending lots of hugs, Amy. What a terrible tragedy. 13 is such a tough age and middle school years are rough, too. I am so very sorry for everyone involved.

tojoco
12-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Amy my thoughts and prayers will be with him, his family and the entire school community including you.

hutchink
12-16-2008, 08:42 AM
Amy keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers! What a horrible thing for you all to have to deal with! The teen years are so hard! HUGS!

Vintagegal
12-16-2008, 08:58 AM
Oh my goodness. This hits home for me, as he was close to my son's age. I will certainly keep his family, your school, and of course, you, in my thoughts and prayers. ((( HUGS )))

workin4stamps
12-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Amy this is so sad. I will definitely keep everyone at the school, as well as his family, in my prayers. What a tragedy.

directmailscrapper
12-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Amy, I read your post yesterday and couldn't even bring myself to respond. Any time a young person dies is a tragedy -- but when it is intentional - -it leaves no closure and no answers. I'll keep you and your school in my prayers, and hug my daughter a little tighter every night.

Kreative Dryve
12-16-2008, 05:21 PM
So sorry this has happened. What a tragic loss, it is good that the students have someone to turn to right now. I would make sure that they know it can continue even after the counselors leave the building.