PDA

View Full Version : I may be forced to accept a "promotion" :-(

directmailscrapper
12-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Sounds funny, doesn't it?

I am a consultant/sales rep. I've been at my company for 19-1/2 years and have always been one of the top reps. I earn straight commission -- no salary. I've done very, very well -- some years better than others, of course!

The company I work for is a $50 million dollar company, employs 400 people and is family owned (2 families). The primary owner (Bruce) theoretically retired several years ago. Which left him plenty of time to micro-manage us. Now he is trying to really retire and set the company up for his almost 30-year old son to step in at a senior management level (this is not a surprise, and the kid has potential, just no experience).

The two owners and the President had lunch with me and another senior rep today. Bruce wants the 2 of us to step down from our sales positions and take mid-management positions. MID management. (We both have the experience and training for Senior management, but we are already top heavy in my opinion) The reason for this? He has a ton of stuff on his agenda that he hasn't been able to get done -- and he is "toast". He wants to winter in Florida and relax and he needs someone to rewrite all of our training materials, hire and train new staff, review the 18 sales reps, prepare marketing materials and write copy and more. Of course we already have two Vice Presidents of Sales -- so I'm not quite sure how they will like this idea (they have no clue). And I'd report to one of them (even though I'd be taking much of their management responsibility from them)!

The upside? With the economy tanking and sales sure to suffer, I'd get a salary instead of worrying about commission. How much? They haven't said. The downside? Too many downsides to even mention! I'm sure that he will try to continue to micromanage from Florida! Many of the tasks he wants done are STUPID and a waste of time. I know it and the other owner and the President know it, but Bruce thinks they are TOP PRIORITY!

But I don't think I'm going to have any choice in the matter. He could make my life pretty uncomfortable if I don't take it (undue scrutiny, for one).

I have a few days to give him my decision (I guess I'll need to negotiate with him as well). Wish me luck!

cecescraps
12-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Best of luck to you Nancy. I'm sure you know how to negotiate but, my one piece of advice is, ask for EVERYTHING you can possibly think of UPFRONT!! My DH has changed jobs (diff. companies but all w/in same industry) several times and he's a TOP negotiator and this is what he tells my step-son and all of his buddies (they're upper 20's and starting to move up the corporate ladder). One of the guys got an extra $50k based on things Tom told him. As Tom always says~ ask and if they say "no" reword it and ask another way until you get what is FAIR (never more, never less). I'm sure everything will work out for you Nancy. I can tell that you are the type of person anyone would be thrilled to have as an employee or BOSS!!

Fief14
12-16-2008, 11:55 PM
This definately sounds like it need lots of re-thinking and negotiating! WOW! Sounds like your plate is full! Not sure if I should congratulate you or not, but I will wish you tons of luck & all the best in making your decision.

kimmyqtgirl
12-17-2008, 12:47 AM
Best of luck negotiating and making your decision. It does sound tricky! Maybe you can swing a deal with some more benefits or something.... Good Luck!

patg
12-17-2008, 01:49 AM
Nancy, it is all in the negotiating! I am sure there are a lot of downsides but I know you can do it and will come out on top no matter what.

When you negotiate, make sure you know what you want, weigh the cons against the pros. Once you've done your negotiating, don't give an answer right there and then, tell him that you want to think it over a bit more and discuss it with your DH. Then go home and rework everything out again. It will make sense and you will make the right decision.

Good luck with all this.

Pat

stampinmom3
12-17-2008, 06:46 AM
Wow, I feel for you. Hopefully everything will work out in the end to your liking. Let us know how you make out.

Artyfarty
12-17-2008, 07:09 AM
Sending lots of good Luck wishes, and hopefully this will work out well for you in the long term xxx

Christie
12-17-2008, 07:14 AM
Wishing you all the luck. I hope that it turns out better then you think it's going to be!!!

Spartymom
12-17-2008, 07:20 AM
I'll be thinking of you. You have some decisions to make. You've been at the company a long time now. YOu know the ins and outs. Hopefully the salary will be more than commission. mmm. Let us know.

Paula Carden
12-17-2008, 07:45 AM
Nancy you will be great with whatever you do! You have many skills and will be terrific in helping the others you will supervise-plus get the salary-start high and think about how much you will need over the next few years for retirement- you know our 401k's are not what they use to be and probably it will take several years to make that back.
I agree ask for everything up front-don't settle for less.

Nancy
12-17-2008, 08:32 AM
I am wishing you good luck in your decision, change is always hard and with the economy the way it is makes decisions even worse. Really list the pros and cons and make sure you let them know up front and what salary you are expecting.- Nancy

shadoob
12-17-2008, 08:36 AM
Congratulations!! (???) Really though, you are on some pretty solid ground in terms of being able to negotiate your future. This is probably the best position you have been in in years. Be clear on what it is you want. Be clear on what is negotiable or not. Be clear in how much latitude you would like....if they trust you, they trust you...be firm, be clear and move forward....the future awaits you!

jazzypurple853
12-17-2008, 08:39 AM
the best of luck to you!

logcabincreations
12-17-2008, 09:05 AM
what title would you have if it is mid-management? Just curious.

I wish you luck and I'll say a prayer for you.

teabear
12-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Lots of good advice here. Look out for you and your families best interests. Sorry you have to go through all of these changes at work.

Darleneh710
12-17-2008, 11:40 AM
Good Luck Nancy! Hope it all works out for you!

ccstampin12
12-17-2008, 12:52 PM
You'll do fine.
You have such a nice personality...and I don't even know you!
I just know it!
You'll get through this and make the right decision and if you do have to negotiate, you'll know what to say.
GOOD LUCK!
Keep us posted!
HUGS
Joanie

cindi
12-17-2008, 01:06 PM
wow, a lot to think about and deal with. I'm wishing you the best of luck, and I hope in the end it works out for you in a positive way. please keep us posted
:smile:

loobylou
12-17-2008, 04:27 PM
Nancy, what an exciting opportunity to grow! You can do this! Sounds like you very good at what you do, and that the "boss" wants his company run be the most professional and organised staff he has. I agree with Cheryl's advice, make your needs known, and I'd also add "Go Large"! Yes, I'm saying super-size your negotiations, cos you know they will probably talk you down a little bit!
Oh, and make sure you can still go to Shackapalooza!