PDA

View Full Version : DH told me last night I may not be going to Shackapaloosa

iloveflipflops
12-19-2008, 07:32 AM
if we don't sell the Florida house. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. We have to start cutting back and N-O-W he said.

Can't we do it after the end of April?

Anyone else in this situation? Thinking maybe you won't be able to go!?

I'm not happy about it either!!!!

emmcee
12-19-2008, 07:42 AM
You know I might not be able to go. If I get a job, I wouldn't be able to take the time off, if I don't get a job, I may not have the money to have a good time with. But don't let's get crazy yet, let's just wait & see.

MidwestStamper
12-19-2008, 08:17 AM
I'm already not going--probably one of the only ones that isn't! We already have three of us going on the High School Band trip to California next June (my DH and I are going as Chaperones!) My younger DS is in the Band.

And now my older DS would like to go on a three-week trip to China in May with the IT department -- an Electrical Engineering trip--so we'll be helping him with that!

Firecracker
12-19-2008, 08:19 AM
I'm not going either. Hugs, Heather

Vintagegal
12-19-2008, 08:34 AM
Sherri, Maybe you could work at an lss and save up some money to pay for the trip.

shadoob
12-19-2008, 09:07 AM
I woke up this morning thinking about Shakapalooza and wondering how many people were in the spot you are. Do we need to have an honest talk about it? I'm concerned that so many people these days are losing jobs and savings and resources.....It seems that everyone is being hit by it somehow....I bet you are not the only one....(Now to get all of my clients to PAY me........)

logcabincreations
12-19-2008, 09:40 AM
I am saving money each week so I can go...

Start your shackapalooza piggy bank today! I don't want to miss meeting you ladies.

shuggy
12-19-2008, 10:53 AM
no!!!! you have to! and so does everyone else!!!

me and my cute mom are still going since most of the stuff is paid for already!!

Nancy
12-19-2008, 11:35 AM
Would renting the house out help, gosh paying two mortgage payments is a bear I know we did that for a long time. - Nancy

ellie
12-19-2008, 11:39 AM
I am in the same boat...I am waiting until it gets a little closer to make the actual decision...dh told me I absolutely have to get a job...the only problem is that nobody wants me! If I have a job, I may not have the time off to go...we will have to wait and see.

allinkdup
12-19-2008, 11:39 AM
I am in the same boat kind of. Shawn finds out on Jan 10 if he will be laid off from Whirlpool. We are a single income family of 5 and it will kill us! But, no need for me to worry today, worrying won't change it right?

teabear
12-19-2008, 12:54 PM
This is such an uncertain time for everyone. It really depends on airfares and what happens between now and then for me.

mydogstinks2
12-19-2008, 02:30 PM
wow! I hope you all can still come!!

Erin K
12-19-2008, 02:40 PM
Well I can't come. I never get to go. :(

logcabincreations
12-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Chris, what is the total cost minus the deposit we already paid?

ccstampin12
12-19-2008, 03:34 PM
So far, we have no plane tickets.
Not sure what will be happening.
Waiting for Lesa to feel a bit better to discuss it with her some more.
DH is NOT pleased with this trip and the airfare.
Not sure, but hopeful!
Joanie

tojoco
12-19-2008, 04:11 PM
I guess I'm in the same boat as everyone else. Still trying to find a job but no one wants me and it will also depend on airfare and what happens between now and then. Also, come he** or high water, I will be flying to Philadelpha mid May to cheer on Corey in his first National Crew Regatta. Luckily I have tons of family living not too far from the event so I don't have to worry about hotel costs.

iloveflipflops
12-19-2008, 05:03 PM
I think I can fly for $15 if I use my Mastercard frequent flyer miles. So that's good. But I gotta pay for the hotel. Maybe I can sell some of my stamps and tuck it away?!?!!

Paula Carden
12-19-2008, 09:35 PM
We have to be cautiously optimistic that things will improve!
I know many States and agencies and companies are in very tough times, times we haven't seen before-therefore makes it hard to know resolutions-but I am remaining optomistic that things will improve by the spring.

teabear
12-19-2008, 09:37 PM
I agree with you Paula. I'm very hopeful that it will all work out and we can stamp the weekend away!

Patty
12-19-2008, 10:00 PM
Who is NOT in this boat? I'm not sure I can afford to go --- but I think I'm in denial--I don't want to think about it--between no job and 2 mortgages--something needs to change--Maybe we should figure out exactly how much are we talking about?? I already decided I wouldn't be doing any shopping--but we have to eat, right??

iloveflipflops
12-19-2008, 10:16 PM
Who needs to eat? We don't need to eat do we? :)

tojoco
12-19-2008, 11:02 PM
Can we just live on M&Ms? Hey a thought just crossed my mind. Why don't we all meet at Sherri's Florida house for the weekend. That would save us a little money wouldn't it?

iloveflipflops
12-20-2008, 05:13 AM
I have thought of that Joanne - totally!! We would all have to bring air mattresses and tables. ha ha

mydogstinks2
12-20-2008, 09:11 AM
The cost is $165 each for the weekend. Depending on the amount of deposit you sent, some sent more and some sent less, that will determin how much you have left to pay.

Now you all have me freeked out and wondering about the contract I have and how much of the deposit I can get back if we need to just not have our weekend any more.

ccstampin12
12-20-2008, 09:17 AM
Who needs to eat? We don't need to eat do we? :)
Ummmmm. speak for yourself, Little One! LOL
Joanie:wub:

iloveflipflops
12-20-2008, 09:25 AM
I didn't mean to freak you out Chris, I am just stating the facts. Hopefully everything will calm down and I won't have to worry about all this.

teabear
12-20-2008, 10:46 AM
I'm committed to paying you my full amount Chris either way. I wouldn't leave you holding the bag. It's the airfare that worries me. I'm hoping it will look better after the holidays.

mydogstinks2
12-20-2008, 12:16 PM
what happens, happens. We will all figure it out!

I know none of you would leave a shackie hanging!! I know we all wish we could come but trust me I TOTALLY understand all of this!!

We still have plenty of time to figure out what we all will be doing.

ccstampin12
12-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Good thinking, Chris!
I know how you feel, though...you put a lot of time and effort on the behalf of all of us, and then if we have to back out, you will feel badly!
I, for one, will definitely try to make it....just not so sure at this moment!
HUGS
Joanie

tojoco
12-20-2008, 01:07 PM
You have to know I WANT to be there and I will continue (as I have been doing) trying my best to find a way to get there. I may have to take up Suzi's suggestion for me to drive up to St. Louis and drive up to Shackapaloosa with her if I can't find cheap airline tickets. Let's wait and see what the next few months bring us.

(Suzie, please don't take offense to this. I meant none at all. I'm just not an alone long distance driver [and the drive to your house would be about 5 hours] so if I do it, I will completely shock myself.) I also know that our drive up together would be a hoot.

workin4stamps
12-20-2008, 03:07 PM
Chris---this is what I'm wondering.... if some people have to cancel, is there a date up until that we can cancel some rooms?? I don't know what the details are....but let's just say for example we reserved 20 rooms and the total cost of the weeked is $4000 (or whatever it is...I'm guessing here). Can we cancel 5 or 10 of our rooms, and will our cost go down???? Just thinking out loud here................I know the price of the conference room will stay the same regardless.....but I'm just wondering if we needed fewer rooms if we are able to change that???

:-)

suzi_f
12-20-2008, 04:27 PM
(Suzie, please don't take offense to this. I meant none at all. I'm just not an alone long distance driver [and the drive to your house would be about 5 hours] so if I do it, I will completely shock myself.) I also know that our drive up together would be a hoot.

No offense at all. I've told you, the only way I can drive to Chicago alone (or to IN where this shindig will be) is to stop and take 10 minute sleep breaks. I stop at a rest area, set my phone alarm for 10 minutes, sleep & then head on my way. I think I had to do this 3-4 times the last time I drove it alone. I get sleepy on my way to the kids' school 20 minutes away!!!

cindi
12-20-2008, 04:37 PM
I'm worried too..I'm not giving up yet, though. stupid economy!
:wideeyed:

mydogstinks2
12-20-2008, 05:22 PM
Chris---this is what I'm wondering.... if some people have to cancel, is there a date up until that we can cancel some rooms?? I don't know what the details are....but let's just say for example we reserved 20 rooms and the total cost of the weeked is $4000 (or whatever it is...I'm guessing here). Can we cancel 5 or 10 of our rooms, and will our cost go down???? Just thinking out loud here................I know the price of the conference room will stay the same regardless.....but I'm just wondering if we needed fewer rooms if we are able to change that???

:-)

Yes the cost of the rooms will go down if we need less. The cost of the conference room does stay the same.

I think I can let them know up to two weeks before if I need to change the rooms. I DO know at this point I can not ADD any more rooms as they are all booked up.

I know we will manage to figure it all out!

logcabincreations
12-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Sherri and Michelle....can I drive to NC and we all ride together....road trip?