PDA

View Full Version : What famous people have you met?

directmailscrapper
12-20-2008, 12:43 AM
1of2shoes has a terrific "getting to know you" post (http://stamp-shack.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29705)-- I've really enjoyed reading everyone's responses. It's amazing what some of us take for granted!

One of the questions is "Have you ever met anyone famous". I see that a lot of us have answered "yes". What famous person(s) have YOU met?

I have met Presidents Nixon, Ford, and Reagan, several Congressmen and other elected officials. I also met several "B" movie stars when my ex-BIL was directing movies back in the 80s (Andrew Stevens, Margo Hemmingway, Richard Roundtree, Corey Hain). I was at a charity event with Boomer Eisiason (spelling!), Mark Rypkin, and Jim Kelly, professional quarterbacks from the 90s. I sat next to Pat Sajak (Wheel of Fortune) in a Fuddruckers (he lives in Annapolis).

Hmmm. I guess that's all for me. What about you?

MidwestStamper
12-20-2008, 01:04 AM
I've met a couple famous Minnesota Twins players (baseball): Kirby Puckett (at a Famous Daves Restaurant) and Tony Oliva (saw him at my grocery store and at a Barnes and Noble Book store recently)

tojoco
12-20-2008, 01:51 AM
I've met Brett Favre, Bill Murray, Joe Montana at a FedEx/St. Jude Golf Tournament in Memphis. I was standing at the first hole when they were announced and each of them came around and shook hands with a few of us. I've also met Meadowlark Lemon and Curly from the Harlem Globetrotters (1970s). I bumped elbows with Ben Vereen at a Philadelphia flea market but was too scared to say anything to him. I shook hands and got a kiss on the cheek from Bill Bradley who played for the New York Knicks in the 1970s and then became a New Jersey Senator. Does meeting a ton of Elvis impersonators in Memphis count? LOL

mom_on_line
12-20-2008, 01:59 AM
I used to work as an extra, so saw a number of actors, not necessarily meeting them. Whoopi Goldberg and Kathy Najinski (sp) for Sister Act, talked to William Russell while I was a stand in for Marge Helgenber (CSI fame), Richard Gere was an arm's length away for Final Analysis to name a few. The last one I met was Danny Glover (pic on my blog) a couple of months ago.

iloveflipflops
12-20-2008, 05:11 AM
I must be boring. I have met no one famous. LOL

I did sit next to Joe Namath's table at a restaurant one time does that count? lol

loobylou
12-20-2008, 05:16 AM
The people I've met are famous to me, but probably not to you. I've met politicians, local Big Brother contestants, local Biggest Loser contestants. I did go to lunch with "the Hooley Dooleys". They are Australian Children's entertainers. My friend was the organiser of 1 of their concerts. To be honest, famous people don't impress me much- they are just people, and most I have met are down to earth and "normal".

HeatherJ
12-20-2008, 05:22 AM
I have met a few princes - Prince Philip, Charles and Edward. We have an award in Canada (and other Commonwealth countries) that is presented by Royalty. It is the Duke of Edinburgh's Award and I received mine from Prince Phillip and organized other ceremonies in which the son's presented.

I also had a conversation with our former Prime Minister, Pierre Elliot trudeau. He commented on how many Girl Guide badges I had.

Darleneh710
12-20-2008, 09:02 AM
Ok, I am boring too! The only famous person that I have met is the author Robert Cormier (The Chocolate War). When I was a Sophmore in HS he came to our school and taught a seminar for the Creative Writing students (I was one of them) and I even got his autograph!

That's the highlighte for me lol

Christie
12-20-2008, 09:06 AM
I've met Calvin Murphy and Bill Worrell. They use to be in the NBA and I met them at a Houston Rockets games. I was at a Luby's when Destiny's Child (beyonce and michelle williams) walked in. They were standing in line behind us! It was shocking to see them in a Luby's Cafeteria!! It's a popular chain here for old people to eat at!!! I also saw Rudy Tomjanovich at the local dog park in Houston. He was the Houston Rockets head coach at the time. We've met tons of rock stars at concerts. Most of them are friendly enough to stop and shack hands and chat with you for a few minutes...this always makes dbf happy!!!

babylamb
12-20-2008, 09:07 AM
I used to work in Hotels so have met quite a few
Shari Lewis & Lambchop
Rick Moranis
Dave Thomas - Rick, Dave & John stayed in the hotel for 3 months while filming SCTV
John Candy
Bob Newhart
Carrol O'Connor
Gayle Gordon - Mr Mooney from Here's Lucy - he was in the hotel for 3 months while doing a play, that one was a daily thing
Harlem Globetrotters
John Bon Jovi
Yes! - rock group
Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau
Queen Elizabeth
Prince Charles & Princess Diana
Shane Yellowbird - country singer
Darius Rucker - Hootie & the Blowfish
Dierks Bentley - country singer
The NHL hockey teams used to stay at our hotel so saw all of them and checked most of the in
David Bowie - that was a strange one!
Kiss - another strange group, refused to take off their makeup
WWF wrestlers - Greg Gagne, Vern Gagne, Andre the Giant, Mad Dog Vachon
And some that I've forgotten about now!

ccstampin12
12-20-2008, 09:14 AM
When I was a child, Mom, Grandma and I saw a play at a summer theater. Betsey Palmer was the star and she signed my playbill.
I met and spoke with Judy Blume...one of my favorite children's book authors.
In our world, I have met Tim Holtz, a bunch of the Paper Crafts girls, Karen Foster, Julie and Linda from AMuse, Deb from DeNami, Ali Edwards and her Mom, and a few others I cannot remember for some reason.
I think there are other show biz people too, but can't recall who I actually met and who I just saw in person in concert!
LOL
Joanie

My3Ds
12-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Wow. Some of you have quite a list. I've met a few sports figures: Billy Ripken, Cal Ripken (who is like Royalty in MD), and Boog Powell - all of Orioles fame. Karch Kiraly (volleyball). When I was pregnant with ds#1 I met Dale Midkiff who played the dad in Pet Cemetary - I didn't know he was a local guy. I even let him rub my big belly and I never let anyone touch me when I was pregnant. Oh yeah - Mike Seidel from the Weather Channel - he's also local guy. But, not really impressed with too many except maybe Cal Ripken ;). directmailscrapper would understand that one.

directmailscrapper
12-20-2008, 10:28 AM
Oh boy oh boy do I understand about Cal Ripken! I was at the game when he broke the record -- such an emotional and powerful event! What a classy guy!

Mrs. Fence
12-20-2008, 10:41 AM
What a fun thread! First, I am TOTALLY envious of directmailscrapper - did you get to meet Ronald Regan??? I'm a political junkie, and I would have loved to have met him.

I did meet President (then Governor) Bush and had my pic taken with him, I've met tons of Senators and Representatives from all over. The nicest (Congressman) was Steve Largent. He used to be a football player. I also spent the day with Pat Buchannan, taking him around to different appointments and functions when he was in town for our Congressman.

For all you Red Sox fans, I've had dinner with Joe Costiglione and Gordon Edes a couple of times after our local hot stove nights - got all the dish on the players!!!

I've also met and talked with Don Fendler (Author), Temple Grandin, and Temple's Mother (famous in the Autism World).

I can't think of anyone else right now, oh, except for Steven King. I saw his butt crack in the check out line at the grocery store. You would think a guy as rich as he is could buy himself a belt!!!:xeek:

teabear
12-20-2008, 10:59 AM
When I was a waitress in college I waited on a few famous folks. Betty Davis was a regular and such a tiny little woman. Her personal assistant was from this area, so they stopped by often. Tammy Faye and Jim Baker came in regularly during their scandalous time. She was not a very nice in person. They were hiding out in a local place then.

Where we live now is a play area for hollywood types and some of them have second homes here. We run into them in shops and restaurants often. Recently we've run into Frankie Avalon, Dr. Laura, Woody Harrelson, Patrick Swayze, and Mark Harmon.

Also there is a big ice skating training center here, so there are skaters from all over the world. Michelle Kwan is about the sweetest young lady you'd ever meet. She takes time to talk to the kids and was very kind to Kyle on the occasions we have seen her.

Oh, and if you are into cycling at all we've met a few of the famous cyclists. Hubby won a contest a few years ago and we got to go to the big trade show and a private party. We shared beers with some of the legends, Bob Roll, Gary Fischer, Greg LeMond, and John Tomac.

And finally, don't forget that Mom and I got to dance with Ellen early this year :)

shadoob
12-20-2008, 11:19 AM
can't think of anyone else right now, oh, except for Steven King. I saw his butt crack in the check out line at the grocery store. You would think a guy as rich as he is could buy himself a belt!!!:xeek:
THat is icko and hilarious!!!!!!

When I was younger and living a different life (stop reading NOW, mom!!) I met A LOT of famous rock and rollers...traveled on their busses, hung out back stage. It was a hoot and a half! NO-I WAS NOT A GROUPIE in the same sense of the word as other gals, but it was fun and crazy.
Our town (Lawrence, KS) is a haven for NBA players (Especially Jayhawkers who have gone to the NBA) because they can just live their lives quietly. We also have a lot of other famous folk (authors, Hollywood screenwriters, actors, experts in various areas) who love to live their quiet off season lives here.
I love Politics too but I have become more friendly with folks from the other side of the aisle than Tracey. : )
I went to school with Sean Young (she was just like she is now!)
AND I always tell my kids that they will be famous some day!

T
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Monkey Love
12-20-2008, 11:24 AM
I met the oldest Brady Bunch boys; Christoper Knight and Barry Williams when I was 10 (I raised the most for the Walk-a-thon for my age group and received an award presented by them.)

I met nasty Nick Nolte at a Hotel bar in Tacoma. He was rude and had horrible BO and no manners. His wife was very nice though!

I met Tom Selek (sp?) at a lounge in Seattle - he was here playing in a volleyball tournament... he bought me a glass of wine and I sat with him while I drank it and all of my girlfrieds sat at our table drooling! LOL! That was fun! (I was the only one brave enough to approach him!)

I met Vincent Schiavelli(he was the subway ghost in GHOST) - I used to run around with some fun and wild women!!! They actually brought him home from a night club to have coffee! It was very surreal, he is really a nice down to earth person!

JP Patches and Brakeman Bill (local childrens television hosts.) I went to a wedding and he Brakeman Bill was there, he was one of my friends uncles... six degrees of separation!

My favorite: Darren McGavin! Remember the TV series night stalker... He grew up here in Tacoma and I was at a fund raiser with him.

I am jealous of Tami getting to dance with Ellen! :)

teabear
12-20-2008, 11:29 AM
ewwww...Stephen King's butt crack. His books freak me out, maybe I can get over it now that I know the icky truth!

Nancy
12-20-2008, 11:41 AM
I am not a name dropping person and it irks me when I am speaking with someone and they keep dropping names to impress me. I, too, have met many persons and that is where it stays.- Nancy

Monkey Love
12-20-2008, 11:53 AM
I am not a name dropping person and it irks me when I am speaking with someone and they keep dropping names to impress me. I, too, have met many persons and that is where it stays.- Nancy

I don't drop names as a habit... unless of course I am asked. :spinny: I see no harm in sharing my stories. :biglaugh:

Vintagegal
12-20-2008, 12:16 PM
I used to work in radio, so I've met many pop and jazz artists. Also, having worked in journalism, I've met mayors, actors, sports figures, congressional members, one Prime Minister and two US Presidents. When I was a child, I met Prince Charles. I was only six years old, and he didn't really make that big of an impression on me. When we lived in the Santa Barbara area, we would run into a lot of celebrities just walking and shopping around Santa Barbara. If you're not one to get star-struck, it's not a big deal. When I worked in radio, I had to maintain 'professionalism' so I couldn't just gush openly, if I wanted to. Still, deep inside, it was really neat to meet talented singers and other celebrities.

sentiments pat
12-20-2008, 01:50 PM
Like Ethel, I've worked in radio (for 29 years), and have met many celebrities...in recent years, Jessica and Ashlee Simpson, Colby Caillet, Rob Thomas, Maroon 5...from longer ago, The Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, Avril Lavigne, Lionel Ritchie, Donny Osmond, Sheena Easton, Mark Anthony, Darrell Hammond from SNL (we worked together for a while), Larry the Cable Guy (we also worked together), and many more. I come from a family of serious golfers, so I have met Arnold Palmer, Gary Player, Jack Nicklaus, Tiger Woods, Nancy Lopez, Jane Blalock, Annika Sorenstam, and others of lesser note. A few months ago, I sat at lunch with FSU Coach Bobby Bowden (one of my long-time heroes), and I've also met Steve Spurrier, who I do not like. Cesar Romero and Sonny Turner of The Platters have been in my parents' home, and President Eisenhower stopped and waved at me as a little 5-year-old girl on the tarmac at the Augusta airport (a picture that is still firmly in my memory). I sing at EPCOT every Christmas, and have been on the stage with Gary Sinise, Marlee Matlin, Edward James Olmos, Mario Lopez, Rita Moreno, Neil Patrick Harris, Cicely Tyson, LeVar Burton, and others. BUT...I have never met the one person I would really like to meet...Barbra Streisand! :nah:

Darleneh710
12-20-2008, 02:02 PM

I think when someone asks a question such as this, it is not considered "name dropping". We are just having fun here telling more about ourselves and the people we've met that happen to be famous. I don't feel that people are telling us these stories to "impress" us, but to just have something in common maybe or to share something fun. Again, jmo.

My3Ds
12-20-2008, 02:17 PM
Oh boy oh boy do I understand about Cal Ripken! I was at the game when he broke the record -- such an emotional and powerful event! What a classy guy!

OMG - Nancy, we were at the same game. Can you believe you and I were in the same place at the same time. lol I still get chills when they show highlights on t.v., etc. He is one awesome guy. Oh, we even have the tickets framed and hanging on our wall.

Kreative Dryve
12-20-2008, 03:37 PM
Mine are mostly sports figures.
Drew Bledsoe, Howie Long, Larry Kystoviac (how ever he spells it), and Karl Malone.

And Micheal Martin Murphy

IMBlessed5
12-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Back in my early 20's I was a huge Bryan White fan (country singer). One of my friends and I saw him in concert 5 times over the course of 2 years. Anyway, the biggests thrill for me back then was meeting and talking with him, getting my picture taken with him, etc. VERY nice guy.

Oh and last Summer at a Women of Faith conference, I was working at a product table and met Lisa Welchel (Facts of Life). She's an author/public speaker now. She's shorter and more petite than I imagined. Very sweet though.

That's it for me - pretty boring, LOL!

Oh and I don't generally like name-dropping either. Can't stand braggers period! I would never offer info like that unless directly asked and others have shared their experiences first. It's been fun reading these even though I don't know half of them, LOL!

cindi
12-20-2008, 04:11 PM
hmm lets see..
I have met several of our maine politions, and have even been served pasta by our very own Governor ( his family owned an italian restaraunt) it was common if he was there to roll up his sleeves and help out.
I have met Tim Sample and Stephen king together,,what a riot those 2 are
together! oh and Stephen King must have had a belt on that night! lol
I have met Bob Marley..the comedian not the reggea guy.
and in the paper craft world tracey & I both have met Cath edvalson from paper crafts mag.
I think thats it
:)

Robinkay
12-20-2008, 10:38 PM
I have met Paul McCartney! It was back in '86 when I was in college. My friends & I stayed outside his hotel for 3 days! :cute: It was so WONDERFUL!!!! So many magical moments in those 3 days. I grabbed his arm, I told him I loved him(he told me he loved me back), we sang to him like nuts outside the hotel we were standing in the streets- He used my ink pen to sign autographs & I had to chase him thru the crowd to get my pen back. I got past security & was standing all alone staring at him(I think my mouth was wide open) He asked me if I was okay! That's when I grabbed his arm as he got into the limo. One morning a friend said that he jogged early in the am so we tried to keep an eye out for him...nothing THEN as we were all standing in front of the hotel doors a guy came thru the crowd saying excuse me girls excuse me & when he got to the doors he turned around and said "Sorry girls" & ran in! In most of the pics all you see is a red blob in the corner(My head) I you guys would like to see them I'll post some. Later on I met him again at a concert situation and got an personalized autograph from Paul & Linda. Yep I'm a Beatlemanic! :nod:

Inkisallover
12-20-2008, 11:03 PM
I met Jeanette Lee, Robin Dodson, Kelly Fisher, and Mike Massey (world champion pool players). I met Loretta Lynn and Crystal Gayle - very nice ladies. Porter Wagoner played at our county fair a long time ago and made an absolute fool of himself at the bar afterwards. He was drunk, loud, rude, and obnoxious.

cecescraps
12-21-2008, 12:06 AM
Not very many here... Cale Yarborough(race car driver of looooong ago) is a family friend and I never even knew he was a "sports star" to many until I was in HS or college. LOL Ed Rollins (lead singer for Collective Soul) is also a family friend and I spent a wonderful week this past summer at his amazing lake house on Lake Keowee in SC. I know many Senators/Congressmen who are also family friends. But, I just know these people... not in a kinda famous person way but as friends.

Paula Carden
12-21-2008, 07:48 AM
A very interesting thread! This is sooo much fun to read as even famous people have to intereact with others at sometime in their lives. I haven't met too many famous persons-
Billy Graham when I was a child-he played golf at the Country Club where we lived-
Many pro golfers Jack Nichalus, Lee Trevino etc...
Stars from Ozzie and Harriett
Sawyer Browns band - Mark Miller
I have drawn blood from a couple of pro football/baseball players when they were at the university in our community.
Several politicians-State senators/representatives and Congressman

1of2shoes
12-21-2008, 12:34 PM
I used to work in a cardiology office and we saw quite a few famous people there. One time Lee Trevino came in. He was sooo nice and he autographed his business card for me. I think DH still has it.

Another time, Dustin Hoffman's dad was being treated and when he (the dad) was really sick, Dustin and his wife would come in with dad to talk to the doctor. I was surprised that Dustin isn't much taller than I am - 5'2". He was very nice and cordial to talk to.

I've met Tony Gwynn, Nate Colbert (used to babysit for him when I was in HS and he was playing for the Padres), Franco Harris (of Pittsburg fame), Bob Feller (old pro baseball player in HOF).