PDA

View Full Version : All this talk about food and recipes...

cecescraps
12-21-2008, 06:58 PM
Thought I would add one more to the mix. I made this for my Ornament Exchange/ Christmas Brunch yesterday and EVERYONE raved about it. I also made the classice Sausage/egg casserole, fruit skewers, homemade cinnamon rolls (my co-host made these) and we had a hashbrown dish, muffins and bagels w/ various cream cheeses. Great food, great coffee and lots of fun. I think I'll do more BRUNCHES... alot of dishes can be made the nite before and it was very relaxing. :0

Anyway, here is the recipe (it's from the Paula Deen & Friends cookbook):

Praline French Toast Casserole

8 eggs
1 1/2 cups half and half
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
10 to 12 slices soft bread, 1 inch thick ( I use ciabatta bread from Panera and hand them slice the loaf on the thin setting and then, I double layered the bread)

Topping:

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/2 cup pakced light brown sugar
2/3 cup maple syrup
2 cups chopped pecans (I omitted these due to allergy concerns of guests)

1. Generously butter a 13-by-9 inch casserole dish.
2. Mix the eggs, half-and-half, maple syrup, and sugar in a bowl. Place the bread slices in the prepared casserole dish and cover with the egg mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and let soak overnight in the refrigerator.

3. Preheat oven to 350 degreesF. Remove the casserole from the refrigerator.
4. Make topping: Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the sugar and maple syrup and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the pecans (optional). Pour the mixture over the bread and bake for 45 to 55 minutes. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.

I sprinkled some powered sugar over the top and had warm maple syrup on the side. Would also be yummy w/ sliced strawberries on the side.

Enjoy!

jazzypurple853
12-21-2008, 08:11 PM
This sounds so yummy!

teabear
12-21-2008, 08:17 PM
oh, yummmm! I just decided to make this dish (http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/08/crockpot-hash-brown-breakfast-casserole.html) in the crockpot and your recipe would be good with it. Something savory and something sweet.

cindi
12-21-2008, 08:19 PM
oh, my..this sounds so yummy!
TFS
:)